PDA

View Full Version : The art of naming LCO's

eruuska
10-11-2004, 08:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the name of an LCO. I'm planning on starting up in 2005, and I go back and forth as to how to name the company.

On the one hand, a name like Eric's Lawn Care Service identifies the company with me personally. I'm already somewhat visible in the community, having 9 kids whom we homeschool, and people might more easily connect the company (and its reputation) with me.

On the other hand, a name that does NOT include my own name may sound more professional. And people who think I'm an idiot may not connect their opinions of me with the LCO.

Actually, I'm leaning a certain way, but I'm not going to say which way just yet. I'll wait until I hear some unbiased opinions.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Gilla Gorilla
10-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I think that going with a original name will get more attention from potential clients and they will also tend to remember that name more. Im my case it would have been Justin's Lawn Care or Kieffer's Lawn Care. My wife came up with the name of
Mow Me Over, so that is what we went with. It seems like every other time that I am out at a nursery, home depot or somewhere like that I am getting compliments on the name and how much people like it. People really seam to remember it and that is what they call me at a couple nurseries that I go to frequently.

Just my thought though, you go with what you feel will get you the most positive attention and good luck for next season.

tonygreek
10-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Completely agree with Gilla. If you want the personally identifiable name, I'd use your last name with something like "Williams & Co. Landscaping" and go with more of an old-world craftsman logo.

Or you are ripe for the humorous name that is being discussed in another thread. 9 kids... at home.... all the time? Howabout:
"Calgon Lawn Service: Please, please, please take me away. I need the quiet sound of my 24hp Z." :)

Guys that did a remodel on my first home were called "TTG Building", which stands for Two Tall Guys. The short one is 6'6" and the "tall" one is 6'10".

Tony

HOOLIE
10-11-2004, 11:39 PM
My company name is a hybrid of several other choices we had come up with. Took bits and pieces of a couple of them to come up with the "perfect" name. Funny thing is, when customers send in their checks, so many of them screw the name up, or shorten it. My ONLY stipulation was that the name didn't contain the word "green". Not a big green fan, and I felt I would be obligated to wear green shirts, drive a green truck, etc.

As mentioned above, if you were to use your personal name in the company name, I'd go with your last name. When one day you are running 100 crews, "Timmy's Lawn Care" just won't fit.

walker-talker
10-12-2004, 10:05 AM
If I had to do it all over again, I think I would choose a name that revolved around an icon. For example....Green Gorilla...there is one here named Green Zebra. Both are easy to remember and can have an identifyable icon. My name is easily remembered because it is riding on a more popular name....Progressive Auto Isurance.

drsogr
10-12-2004, 10:49 PM
In my opinion names that identify with the owner sound really unprofessional. Such as Bubba's Lawn Care or Smith's Landscaping. I think it is better to go with a name that sounds like you are professional and that gives you credibility. Or use something that identifies you with your kids, something that has a story behind it. That way when people ask why you named your company that, you have a nice story and they will remember you.

Groundcover Solutions
10-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Some of the largest co. in our area use there own names. Torre & Bruglio, Toms Landscaping, Davey, and on the list goes. They all have good logos that incorporate there names. This is the key in my opinion, if you use your name don't just go with a generic font and a tree. If it were me I would go with a professionally designed logo. A little money up front is well worth it in the long run. Most unique names that are out there have already been taken or in my opinion are not very professional. I would go with a last name and landscaping or property maintenance. I feel that lawn care is over used and not very professional sounding ("DISCLAIMER" this is my opinion please don't jump down my throughout) just my 2 cents!!!

superdave
10-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I agree with drsogr about naming it something professional, but be careful. I named mine Lawn & Turf Services of Oklahoma. Try saying that 3 times fast driving down the road answering a cell phone. Usually I abbreviate to just Lawn & Turf. I like the idea of a logo. I can't believe you have 9 kids. What about #9 Lawn Service or My wife never has a headache Lawn service? Good Luck no matter what.

David

boxoffire
10-13-2004, 12:40 AM
I think if you are just starting out and are a sole proprietor with no employees, then your name is fine. I use my first name cause I like it better than my last name. Somebody mentioned SMITH's Lawn Care, well that's my last name and I didn't want to use that starting out so I went with my first name, ADAM'S Lawn Service instead. I may change it later and it's no big deal to do so. I only make up enough stationary on my home computer to last a little while, and the magnet signs for my jeep were only $45 for the pair and my trailer sign was thrown in for free, so no biggy to change later in my case. My sister told me of this dude who cuts grass part time and is the son of some actor who played in that movie called, "Bladerunner", so he named his company that. I like it! Maybe somebody not in Wake County, NC, could use that one if they want. I would if it wasn't taken.

drsogr
10-13-2004, 03:38 PM
I think if you are just starting out and are a sole proprietor with no employees, then your name is fine. I use my first name cause I like it better than my last name. Somebody mentioned SMITH's Lawn Care, well that's my last name and I didn't want to use that starting out so I went with my first name, ADAM'S Lawn Service instead. I may change it later and it's no big deal to do so. I only make up enough stationary on my home computer to last a little while, and the magnet signs for my jeep were only $45 for the pair and my trailer sign was thrown in for free, so no biggy to change later in my case. My sister told me of this dude who cuts grass part time and is the son of some actor who played in that movie called, "Bladerunner", so he named his company that. I like it! Maybe somebody not in Wake County, NC, could use that one if they want. I would if it wasn't taken.

I disagree, it may be easy to change the name later, but if you are running an actual business and spending money on advertising, pick a name and stick with it! Why waste your money advertising for one company name and then changing it. Spend some thought and go with one that you can use long term. After all this is a business, you have 9 kids, something tells me if you like something you stick with it for awhile!

Team Gopher
10-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi eruuska,

I like tonygreek's suggestion of I'd use your last name with something like "Williams & Co. Landscaping" and go with more of an old-world craftsman logo.