PDA

View Full Version : example of area with no air flow

bobbygedd
10-11-2004, 09:56 PM
here's a pic of a lawn with no air flow.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=81963&highlight=air+flow

bobbygedd
10-11-2004, 10:01 PM
a while back we spoke of problem areas that were lacking air flow. here is a small, but prime example. the little turf area is surrounded...on the left by the house, on the right by the fence, the far back by another fence, and again by a fence (where i am standing while taking the picture). this area gets at least 7 hrs a day of sunlight, but is still wet from the morning dew sometimes as late as 1-2 pm, the reason: there is no air flow, or air movement. the air is stagnent. the result: since the grass is always moist, it is top heavy, never standing straight up. it "folds over", and kills itself every year, and needs to be reseeded. the pic is bad, you may or may not be able to notice the grass laying over. that's because it is 1 pm at time of photo, and still wet from the morning dew

bushtrimmer
10-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Looks like a surcharge area. Dew and a lot of cr#p!

If it gets that much sunlight, annual aeration and overseeding with a little drought time watering should keep it growing.

CJ GreenScapes
10-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Bobby, I was one of the ones that thought you were crazy with your assesment. BUT, I had no idea you were referring to an area that small. Where I'm from a small back yard is 4-5k. My bad...

bobbygedd
10-11-2004, 10:17 PM
it happens on larger lawns too, with the same type of atmosphere, surrounded by wooden fence on 3 sides, and house on the other side. i have back yards 2k that have the same problems. i don't mow this lawn personally, i put in some arbs on the other side of the house, and i reseeded this tiny area early this spring. but i thought i'd take a picture to show you guys what i meant. she does her own treatments, and she has a lawnboy that only cuts grass. this problem for her is reoccuring each and every spring. i told her how to take care of it, she just looks at me with a blank stare

65hoss
10-11-2004, 10:54 PM
I agree. It happens more than most people think. To many people just aerate and overseed and never get into the real science of what is going on.

all degree
10-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Bobby I dont agree with you on this. You are so close to Rutgers and they will shed some light (no pun intended) on the situation. Just call up and ask them about it. I think that there are other reasons and flow has little or nothing to do with it.

BTW Rutgers is an awesome source to help figure out problems with all sorts of vegatation.

bobbygedd
10-11-2004, 11:17 PM
i know i'm right. anyhow, yea, rutgers is great, called them 5 times they never even return my call

trying 2b organic
10-11-2004, 11:49 PM
I remeber the original thread. I started to try your idea of cutting shorter to lessen the problem but I had to fire that customer before I could see if it helped. Howbout, for areas such as this, cut short, less N and more K ?

bobbygedd
10-12-2004, 07:05 PM
i'll tell you what else. i got a call from a guy who wanted his grass aerated, thatched, and overseeded. i checked out the front yard, no biggie. now listen to this, we go into the back yard, grass is hammered. he says to me, "at one time, i had beautiful grass back here, but the last 3 yrs, i just can't keep good grass back here." now, my keen eye notices that the fence along the back and side of the property is older than the rest of the fence. so i asked him, " how old is this fence?" he says 3 yrs. i say, "how long has it been since u had nice grass back here?" he says, "ever since the fence was put up." the fence WAS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE, and since it was put up, he can't keep nice grass back there, but prior to the fence, the grass was great......i rest my case. trying2b, i don't think less nitro will make a difference. the difference will be in keeping the grass standing straight up (like me in the morning), instead of laying over.

environment
10-12-2004, 07:13 PM
amazing aint it, i had a similar one myself, one of my clients buys a house on lake hopatcong, the precious owners had a huge dog, so half the fron was his, needless to say it was destroyed, so my client wanted a nice flush lawn, we level it out, bring in a good amount of screened topsoil, and seed. lawn comes up beautifull, but the blades are always pushed in onedirection, he actually tried blaiming one of my crew, saying that he was only cutting in one direction, well, the side that had the problems was smack dab up against a nice big fence

DUSTYCEDAR
10-12-2004, 07:22 PM
i have seen this happen also and people just dont get the fact the grass needs certain things to surrvive in the way they want it to.
and i love when a customer says well my neighbor has grass there and all they have is crabgrass i will give u crabgrass 2

environment
10-12-2004, 07:29 PM
yup, i got the same thing, with a customer in long valley, there lawn is so green, why isnt mine that green, well hers is all weeds, i am trying to give you a real lawn, but it dont happen over night, we arent miracle workers lady