PDA

View Full Version : What a great life

grassyfras
10-11-2004, 10:04 PM
This mowing lawns thing is the best thing that ever happen to me. I discovered lawnsite a few years back and its the best thing that ever happened to me. I think I found my true passion. I also cant beleive the money I'm making, its just all unreal. If it wasn't for school my life would be perfect but of course we need school. Anyone else feel like this and will I loose this feeling as I grow up?? Just checkign with everyone. Happy mowing to you all. This job is very rewarding.

Wreak
10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
School? What for when you are making such great money without it.

grassyfras
10-11-2004, 10:51 PM
What??? I dont understand your above post

Wreak
10-11-2004, 10:56 PM
If it wasn't for school my life would be perfect but of course we need school.

If you are talking about high school then nevermind but if you are talking about college then I'll explain.

I was just making a joke since you have a perfect life mowing yards and making a lot of money. So I said, why go to school when you are making plenty of money now.....

I guess I could've looked at your profile.

Wreak
10-11-2004, 10:58 PM
I see you are about done with high school? At 18 either you are a senior in HS or a freshman in college?

grassyfras
10-11-2004, 11:03 PM
LOL Wreck. Im just slow. Yea I'm a freshman in college. It seems so pointless except just to get a degree. This world is all about sales.

Soupy
10-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi neighbor.... I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. Can I be nosy and ask you to explain a little about your operation. How many accounts? about what size lots do you do? How much? Expenses? I'm just curious as how you are rolling in the dough with such a young business. Please share your secret.

I'm on the Illinois side, by the way..

Soupy

LwnmwrMan22
10-11-2004, 11:13 PM
LOL Wreck. Im just slow. Yea I'm a freshman in college. It seems so pointless except just to get a degree. This world is all about sales.

Dropped out of college in my second year of business management when I realize I'd make more money, sooner, working for myself, then ever with a degree in management.

HOWEVER, let me warn you. The longer you're in this business, the more things you think you need, and / or are TOLD you need by the gov't, or jobs that you're pursuing, and therefore you WILL pick up more headaches along the way.

steve122
10-11-2004, 11:16 PM
I've said it before, there is hardly a day goes by when at some point I find myself thinking it doesn't get any better than this. Sure, once in a while you have a bad day, but on the whole, it's great. I worked as a social worker in the state welfare agency in the early 70's, welfare fraud investigator in the late 70's, worked on the river loading barges and worked my way up to running 3 docks with 80 men in the early to mid 80's, spent the late 80's and most of the 90's working as a union hod carrier (laborer who works with bricklayers), started to mow in the late 90's and will never go back. My wife is retiring after 34 years teaching school, asks me when I'm going to retire and I tell her and everyone else I did 6 years ago when I started mowing. The degree will be a good fall back position, my advice would be try to get it, especially if its in business.

Evan528
10-11-2004, 11:34 PM
. Anyone else feel like this and will I loose this feeling as I grow up?? Just checkign with everyone. Happy mowing to you all. This job is very rewarding.

I felt the same way as you did at your age...... Now at 20 its just a way support myself....no longer a passion. Nothing better then having $20,000 past due at the end of the season when you have a stack of bills in front of you too pay or in the spring when you have more work then you possibly know what to do with and cant seem to find employees worth a sh**.

Dont mean to rain on your parade but once this business becomes your "career" and no longer a side thing to stash money away, alot changes unfortunatly.

There is very good money in this business....but ya sure have to put up with a lot of BS to make it work. Keep an eye on your blood pressure! :dizzy:

drsogr
10-12-2004, 12:48 PM
I felt the same way as you did at your age...... Now at 20 its just a way support myself....no longer a passion. Nothing better then having $20,000 past due at the end of the season when you have a stack of bills in front of you too pay or in the spring when you have more work then you possibly know what to do with and cant seem to find employees worth a sh**.

Dont mean to rain on your parade but once this business becomes your "career" and no longer a side thing to stash money away, alot changes unfortunatly.

There is very good money in this business....but ya sure have to put up with a lot of BS to make it work. Keep an eye on your blood pressure! :dizzy:

I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside just reading this post! Maybe your in the wrong industry if you feel like this? Do what you love.

Gravely_Man
10-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Glad to hear that you are this fired up about the green industry! It is very important to do what you enjoy doing.

Gravely_Man

bobbygedd
10-12-2004, 01:51 PM
when we were kids (15, 16, 17) my friends father used to catch us in his basement drinking beer. he would throw us out yelling and muttering something to the effect of, "you have no right to drink. how can you possibly enjoy it. you havn't been alive long enough to deal with enough stress to cause you to enjoy drinking." what the f am i talking about? it's like this.....i'm glad you like the lawn business, and are making anough money to make it worth your while. you would really appreciate it if you, like me, worked for someone else for 21 miserable, degrading, wasted years. now, life is good. i make what i want to make, i pick and choose when and who i will do work for. and, i've added a new holiday to my calender, yes, it's true, i've added "the day after washingtons birthday." yup, in addition to taking off mondays, tuesdays, and sundays, i will now take off the day after each and every holiday, including martin luther kings birthday, and jewish holidays, and canadian boxing day, that falls on a day that ends with the letter y. for sure kid, it's a beatiful life. caught two big fat rainbows today, and i'm workin on a new 30 pack, while roasting peppers on the grill. god bless america . oh, and 20 grand outstanding? they only screw you around kid....if you let them

grassyfras
10-12-2004, 02:21 PM
I mow about 25 lawns a week 2 commercial one that pays one that doesnt. A few full service accounts. Im trying to get a degree but i really hate school. Evan I always followed your posts and I hate to see how the last year or so you really started to hate your career choice. Is it just those employees. I have none so I have no idea. Bobby I feel the same way. I dont work days that end in y its great.

Evan528
10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
oh, and 20 grand outstanding? they only screw you around kid....if you let them

Bobby, Happens every year.....because the end of the year is so near people do not make it a priority to pay there October and november bill....after all I wont be back untill March so its not as if I can suspend service to there property. I do charge late fees and have taken clients to smalls claims court to get what I am owed. What else can you do (leagally)?

Grassyfras, No its not just the employees that have turned me off to this business. Its everything. Nurseries in my area never seem to be well stocked with what I need anymore, then 80 hour work weeks in the spring to keep up with the work load, and number #1 problem is my clients. I work in a very wealthy area (most houses are $500,000 minimim) and we all know how enojoyable these type of people can be to work for. :dizzy:
They expect all work to be done yesterday, there rude, obnoxious and are so dam far in debt that they will take 3 months to pay you for there 2,000 dollar mulch install. Wich of course had to be ASAP because there embarassed that there neighbors yard has been mulched and theres hasnt yet...... So yeah....Im pretty frustrated these days. I have my days when I cant amagine doing any other line of work but this year I think more days that not I wished there was something else I could get into without taking a cut in salary!

txlawnking
10-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Grassyfrass, IF I were you, I would stay in school and get this.. A degree in business. Then, depending on your financial ( and truthfully every other goal too..) goals in life, study someone who is genuinely successful's opperation and use their business plan as your template..

I' would also highly recomend that you read every book writen by Robert Kiyosaki..Starting with "Rich dad, Poor Dad"... Just doing these things will put you waaaayy ahead of most folks your age, who BTW, are in for a VERY rude awakening ( in a socio-economics kinda way ) in the non-too distant future..

But most of all, don't let ANYONE tell you different; If you love cuttin' grass, find a way to make it a PROFITABLE BUSINESS ... Just take a look at Just Mowing's operation...

grassyfras
10-23-2004, 06:14 PM
TXlawnking- I read most of his books. I invest almost all the money I make that I dont blow on sub-sandwhiches. That's a good idea shadowing someone in the business and using their business as a guide. Now for the whole business degree.... I dont know if I could stay intersted. I am looking into though and takin a couple classes on it.

Lawnworks
10-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Get a degree in landscaping. I am sure you will see the benefits immediately!!

DennisF
10-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Go get the Business Degree. The lawn care business will always be here. When you reach about 40 years old this kind of work becomes very tough on you physically. And it gets worse every year after that.

If you find out in a few years that this kind of work is not for you... you'll have the degree to fall back on.