PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing new 21" mower

alpine692003
10-12-2004, 01:06 AM
I'm about to go and get another 21" mower..

I currently have a 21" Honda Commercial 216 mower..

I was considering getting another one of these, but I was also looking at a TORO or EXMARK 21" mowers..

What do you gusy think between the two?

Toro/Exmark 21" Commercial or the Honda 216 again?

I'll be using the mulching system and bagging system..

dishboy
10-12-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm about to go and get another 21" mower..

I currently have a 21" Honda Commercial 216 mower..

I was considering getting another one of these, but I was also looking at a TORO or EXMARK 21" mowers..

What do you gusy think between the two?

Toro/Exmark 21" Commercial or the Honda 216 again?

I'll be using the mulching system and bagging system..

Unless you don't mind modifying a new Honda so it will mulch your best bet would be the Toro because you get the mulching deflectors that don't come on the Exmark. I personally like the Honda engine on that machine unless you can find a 2 cycle, because it is lighter than the Kawasaki.

alpine692003
10-12-2004, 01:18 AM
My 216 right now weighs just a little over 150lbs.. it takes 2 people to lift that puppy from the back of the truck onto the ground, lol..

I dont plan on modifying or any of that, I just bag a lot ... I like the BBC brake system, the engaging on the 216 so far.. but Iwouldn't mind trying something new out :)

MisterLandscape
10-12-2004, 01:29 AM
If you bag alot the BBC on the Honda can't be beat and I know Toro USED to have BBC but not sure of they still do and also Kubota had a 21" with a BBC a few years ago but not sure if its still around.

If you don't care about the BBC and want to bag and mulch Snapper Commercials can't be beat. They wrote the book on 21" mowers and are really simple in design and easy to fix. I really like their self-propelling--solid set up. Also, for bagging you can't beat their high-vac it will suck the sand out of the grass--seriously and their ninja mulching baldes are awesome. If you liek Honda power they made some last year with the 5.5 Honda and have a Kawi motor too. They are not goign to be havign the Honda power option on the 2005 models but the factory still have 04 Hondas at a great price (im a dealer we just bought a bunch so I know the facotry in GA still has them) So you could get snapper's legendary 21" mower and vac with a Honda just ask your dealer if he doesnt have one he should be able to get it. (only reason they were stopping the Honda is that there was goign to be a huge price increase on them this year so thye are stickign with just the Kawi motors on their commercial 21s)

goodluck--let us know what you buy Steve

alpine692003
10-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Well, I'm trying to get the right kind of mower for next year.

I dont mind mulching with the gator blades and the blackflap door closed without the bag. I bag a lot as well and then toss the clippings in the back of the trailer and then off to the dump yard I go!

So what do you think is the best kind of mower to get for a 21"?

I need the BBC, bagging and mulching with gator blades.

:help:

MisterLandscape
10-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Well, I'm trying to get the right kind of mower for next year.

I dont mind mulching with the gator blades and the blackflap door closed without the bag. I bag a lot as well and then toss the clippings in the back of the trailer and then off to the dump yard I go!

So what do you think is the best kind of mower to get for a 21"?

I need the BBC, bagging and mulching with gator blades.

:help:

If you need the BBC unless Kubota (been 7 or 8 years since i've seen one)and Toro still make a 21" with the BBC i'd say your only realy option is the Honda.

naturescape
10-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Toro 21s have always been garbage in my opinion. Go for the Snapper 21" they are great, and no question the best for the money.

MisterLandscape
10-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I really like the snappers too. I am a dealer for them so I just want to point that out so everyone knows I am alittle biased but I truly belive their 21s rock and they havent changed the design in years and years and years so parts are easy to come by and there are ALOT of rotary after market parts available.

Snapper makes 2 basica commercial modeal, one witha rear bag and is a dead ringer for the Honda style wise and aother with a betwen the handle bag system. Check out www.snapper.com If you like Honda engines the factory still has 2004s with the Honda commercial engine on them.

goodluck

s and s mowing
10-12-2004, 08:24 PM
i would like to find a 21 with a kaw engine,swivel front casters,bag mulch and side discharge.also i hear next spring one of the top companies are coming with a 26 in walk behind,came from horses mouth.

MisterLandscape
10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
i would like to find a 21 with a kaw engine,swivel front casters,bag mulch and side discharge.also i hear next spring one of the top companies are coming with a 26 in walk behind,came from horses mouth.

Snapper has made a 26" self propelled for several years...it has a single blade...in years past was offered with a Kawi but now only with B&S Intek. I think the B&S is a decent engine and if serviced properly should last a very long time, The price difference beteen the Kawi and B&S is enough that you can buy a spare B&S and come out even verses the Kawi. As good as the Kawi I have hard time beliving one Kawi would out last 2 B&S Inteks which have given good service on push leaf blowers for several years. (leaf blowers are an extreme use application) Check out www.snapper.com for pics. the drive ystem is the tried and true snapper that is easy to work on and hardly ever give a problem.

JimLewis
10-13-2004, 01:33 PM
I personally want you to go buy something other than a Honda 21" mower.

Then you can come back here to Lawnsite after trying it for a few weeks and tell us all what a huge mistake that was. :p

alpine692003
10-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Grrrrrrr.. I wouldn't expect a post like that from you JimLewis; I'm very disappointed in your attitude.. Change it!

:nono: :nono: :waving:

JimLewis
10-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh, paaleease! You didn't see the little smiley at the end indicating that I was joking???

alpine692003
10-13-2004, 01:50 PM
:nono: :nono:

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Keep in mind here that I can get my other mowers through most all gates of my customers so I only have to use a 21" about a total of 1 hour a week. So with that said it was time this season to buy a new 21" as my other one was quite old. I looked HARD at Toro and Honda both, demoed them both and did alot of research on this site on them in the many former threads asking this same question and I decided to go with the Toro. Now it mulches GREAT so much so that I have never even tried to bag with it as I haven't seen the need. It starts first pull and no problems with it at all since I strated running it in May, but doing it over again I think I'd go with the Honda....don't ask me why because I have no complaints with the Toro at all but I just "feel" the Honda might have been a better pick.

alpine692003
10-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I only use 21" mowers, its just the property size down here..

dishboy
10-13-2004, 11:26 PM
I personally want you to go buy something other than a Honda 21" mower.

Then you can come back here to Lawnsite after trying it for a few weeks and tell us all what a huge mistake that was. :p

I agree with JIm, buy something other than a Honda commercial so I can grin all the way to the bank while mulching three inches of lush growth at 4 mph with a cleaner cut that either my Toro proline or Exmark TTHP can produce.

RICHIE K
10-14-2004, 07:52 AM
GO WITH THE GRAVELY PRO 21CH :drinkup:

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Tvov
10-14-2004, 09:01 AM
A 32" walk-behind won't work? I was about to ask why you wanted an expensive 21", then you answered my question.

We rarely need a small mower, and our 36" walk-behind works great for small areas. We have ONE lawn that we need to use our 21" (a 10'x10' fenced in area, with a 26" gate!). So, I buy the cheapest 21" I can find, and they can last easily more than five years. Our latest is from Walmart, I think $70, about 3 years ago.

alpine692003
10-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Well, certain areas the 32" will work and wont work..

I'll have to break out the 32" for the front and majority of the back will require the 21" mower...

Hmm, I wonder if 2 people can lift 420lbs up a flight of stairs or around tight areas..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Greenstar Services
10-15-2004, 04:33 AM
If your happy with the performance of the honda then stick with it and use your first honda as spare parts when needed. I have been running exmark 21s now for 4 years until 2 of them were destroyed by careless staff. I purchased 2 honda commercials this past August ,there nice machines but next year I will be buying toro/exmark 21 again. Good luck

Sam-Ohio
10-15-2004, 04:59 AM
Honda has a mower called the model HRX 217 [cost $699]that has about the nicest cut quality I have ever seen.

It has a hydrostat drive system, blade brake clutch, double blades that do a perfect job of mulching, and the deck shell is made of Xenoy plastic !!!!! - plus of course it has the legendary HONDA engine.

The plastic mower deck has been used by Honda for about 10 years now - and it seems to hold up just fine. In fact the plastic deck has a 5 year warranty, and the steel decks only have a 2 year warranty.

The mower has a unique rear slider baffle that can open or close with the flip of a lever. This changes it from bagging to mulching in 5 seconds. The really unique thing it does is it can partially bag and mulch at the same time !!

If you bag the grass but hate taking a ton of clippings for disposal, it is possible to just open the rear mulcher baffle about 20% open. This makes the mower mulch 80% of the clippings and only puts a tiny amount of the clippings in the bag. The lawn appears to have been completely bagged , but you have very little material to haul away.

If you really intend to mulch the lawns, but rain holds you up and your lawns get really high, then a mulcher mower will usually leave clumps and wads of cut mulch all over your clients lawns. This is when you double cut or use a blower to try to make the lawn look acceptable. If you face this problem in the Spring , the Honda HRX will mulch it, and let you bag just enough of it to make the lawn look perfect with just one pass. It is just amazing how much better this system works under bad conditions than any other mower I have seen.

If you set the mower to discharge the grass , just remove the rear bagger and let the plastic discharge chute spring closed. This rear panel/chute is as wide as the mower [21"] and it directs the cuttings down onto the ground the full width of the rear of the mower. This means that there is NO windrow of clippings. they are spread evenly and thinly the full width of the mower. The grass is so evenly discharged that you may think the lawn has been bagged or at least mulched. It's fantastic how much better this works. Even better is the way that the cippings don't blow off sideways into your mulch beds, or onto a driveway, or the walks. There is virtually NO clean up of blown clippings to do after you mow, since it doesn't spray anything out the side of the mower. Since there is NO SIDE CHUTE on the HRX, it is possible to use both sides of the mower for close trimming. Isn't that convenient !!!

Finally, if you have ever broke a window, or dinged a clients car with a thrown stone, or worse yet, hurt someone with a thrown object from your mower , you will really appreciate how much safer the Honda rear down chute system is. It would be nearly impossible to get the Honda to throw anything that could cause you liability problems , since everything discharges DOWN onto the lawn.

The HRX 217 Honda is a completly different and unique design approach to self propelled small mowers. There is nothing else like it. It is so different, and works so much better and easier than any other mower available, you really need to demo one to believe what an advance they have made with this mower.

naturescape
10-15-2004, 09:54 AM
I have been running exmark 21s now for 4 years until 2 of them were destroyed by careless staff.

I doubt the employees were the only culprit. The ExM 21s are just crappy Toro mowers with the Exmark name on it.

Fareway Lawncare
10-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Too Bad Honda Didn't put the Xenoy Deck & Vesa Mow on the Commercial Line....Then you Might Have Something...HRX=Homeowner....

Nothing Wrong w/Metro/Proline 21"'s...Probably the most indestructable drive system on a 21" along w/the Honda Hydro...

LLMSERVICE
10-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Give the Toros a try - self propelled with the Kawasaki and BBC. Quiet, Great bagging, good mulching and virtually indestructable. At about 110 pounds, it can still be put in the back of the truck by one motivated individual or with a simple set of aluminum ramps. Of couse, I always use my trailers. My experience has also been that dealer support for commercial Toro users to be excellent.

s and s mowing
10-16-2004, 11:42 AM
everybody has different needs,but i have a 60 exmark ztr and hate to push but needed one for 3 customers(my highest paying ones) due to tight space and a small bank.just went by my dealer today and my new 21 is there.it is a ariens 21 with caster wheels,briggs intek,pick it up monday.got a hell of a deal now that season is over and i went ahead and bought it.havent used it yet but so far all i can say is SWEET.for the money i dont think you can beat it,but everybody has different needs.

iluvbermuda
10-16-2004, 02:11 PM
All I will say without being rude to a Snapper dealer is this: the commercial 21" that has/had a Robin 6hp, rear discharge, wave mulching blade--well it is a piece of junk. I think this was a poor desogn on Snapper's part. I have had 3 transmissions put in it and now it is out of warranty and I have a very heavy mower that I have to push. This trans. is different from their others. If I ever get another Snapper it will be a high-lift 21" with the side discharge and or plug or bagger.

beransfixitinc
10-16-2004, 02:45 PM
If you are looking at a 21" Exmark, wait, or make sure the model you get is an 05 model. There have been a number of changes to the 21" Metro for the 2005 model year. Including, smaller diameter but thicker walled handles, cast aluminum height adjusters so you never have to worry about them rusting and siezing up. The speed contol lever has been moved up to the handle now whereas with the old models it was down by the deck and a pain to access if you switch gears frequently. There have also been other changes that I do not recall at this point. Exmark also, SHOULD have a 26" walk behind ready for market by spring of '05 if you want to wait and look at that route.

TURF DOCTOR
10-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Snapper and billy goat here love my snapper,billy goat okay but i am used to hydro it is a 3 speed.