PDA

View Full Version : Lucrative add-on service?

billc
10-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Happy Tails, Inc. (http://www.happytailsnj.com)

In 30 hours a week, this guy averages 280 dogs at $9.00 a poop, er, pooch.

What about a crew doing this? Maybe the poop could become fertilizer you sell to the customer.....

Gravely_Man
10-12-2004, 10:41 AM
This has been discussed on here several times. I for one do not want to clean up other peopleís dog waste! Good idea if you can handle the smell.

Gravely_Man

Soupy
10-12-2004, 10:46 AM

What about a crew doing this? Maybe the poop could become fertilizer you sell to the customer.....

Is Dog Poop a Pain in the Grass? :p

If the service can really be performed that fast, then it sounds great. $2500 a week with very little overhead. Are you sure this guy does this Solo? he would have to be doing one dog every 6 minutes counting drive time. But even $1500 in 30 hours would be good with no overhead. I say give it a try.

tonygreek
10-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Absolutely DO NOT sell it on it's benefits as a fertilizer. Dogs are carnivores and therefore have bacteria that herbivores do not have. That bacteria can then turn up in gardens and edible plant material. Read: E Colli bacteria.

Do sell it on the clean-up aspect that they are helping to protect the environment as dog poop is potentially the worst contaminent of a water supply that there is. It's worse than fertilizer run-off from fields and worse than motor oil your neighbor dumps down the sewer. Why? It's a bacterial contaminent and a leading contributor of E Colli. Becoming ill from oil-tainted water is different than becoming ill from a possible disease.

My wife works for one of the leading pet food companies so I've read enough about this to bore the hell out of you.

Tony

wagner17
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Tonygreek,
You are absolutely correct. I have known people who have tried this and ended up regretting it. Also, dog doo does not belong in a compost bin as well. Thanks for passing on the info!

dkeisala
10-12-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't even like picking up after my own dogs, can't imagine doing it for someone else. There are a couple of businesses around here that do just that though and one of them has been around for a few years now so they must be doing something right.

The C Man
10-12-2004, 09:14 PM
How about a whole discussion forum dedicated to dog poop?

http://www.pooper-scooper.com/discus/messages/board-topics.html

Kelly's Landscaping
10-12-2004, 09:51 PM
His site says Bonded and Insured what the hell is he insured for mishandling dog poo what could he possibly do that would get him sued. Besides the obvious throwing up all over the clientís property. That has to be the worse job for ones self esteem that has ever been created can you imagine being in school and bringing your dad the dog poo king in for show and tell LOL. I only wish Sam Kinison had lived to hear about this trade I can almost hear his yell now as he goes off on this.

olderthandirt
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
"can you imagine being in school and bringing your dad the dog poo king in for show and tell" And he shows up in a chauffeur driven limo lol the "top dog" :rolleyes:

Mac

gogetter
10-16-2004, 11:19 PM

Bill, how did you get the scoop (LOL! Pun intended) on this guy as far as # of hours he works, and # of dogs he has? Did you contact him, or do you know him or something?

billc
10-16-2004, 11:29 PM
My wife and I were in a diner in Randolph, NJ and saw his ad on the placemat (complete with website). I looked it up when we got home, and one of the articles about him talked about the number of accounts he serviced when he worked for a business in KC (or St Louis - can't remember which). This inspired him to go out on his own.

gogetter
10-16-2004, 11:38 PM
If the service can really be performed that fast, then it sounds great. $2500 a week with very little overhead. Are you sure this guy does this Solo? he would have to be doing one dog every 6 minutes counting drive time.

Soupy, keep in mind that 280 dogs doesn't necessarily mean 280 separate stops. Figure some customers may have 2 or more dogs.
And he may be like us lawn guys, and keeps a tight route. Perhaps only advertising in a small area. Ending up with several stops on one street.
I see on his website he does have a referel program to try to get neighbors of existing customers.

I'll tell ya, every time this topic comes up here on LS, it's gets me thinking.

No more storage rent, no more trailer, no more gas guzzling truck!, no more back breaking work, no more running around giving estimates only to NOT get the job, no more deck scraping, blade sharpening, no more buying expensive equipment, no more costly repairs, or costly parts, etc, etc.

Hmmmmmm.........

Soupy
10-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Soupy, keep in mind that 280 dogs doesn't necessarily mean 280 separate stops. Figure some customers may have 2 or more dogs.
And he may be like us lawn guys, and keeps a tight route. Perhaps only advertising in a small area. Ending up with several stops on one street.
I see on his website he does have a referel program to try to get neighbors of existing customers.

I'll tell ya, every time this topic comes up here on LS, it's gets me thinking.

No more storage rent, no more trailer, no more gas guzzling truck!, no more back breaking work, no more running around giving estimates only to NOT get the job, no more deck scraping, blade sharpening, no more buying expensive equipment, no more costly repairs, or costly parts, etc, etc.

Hmmmmmm.........

Yea, I have been talking to my wife about starting up a pooper scooper business. I think we are just going to add this service to our line up and see how it goes. If we only get a few clients then I told her she can take our 8yr old son out to do the work and I will let him keep the money and just eat the cost. I can't really see any additional cost except for tax. Poop scoopin should be able to fall under the business of lawn care, so shouldn't need to put anything else in place. Buy a scooper and use some grocery bags and we are in business.

I'm going to add a separate flyer with my spring advertising and see what happens.

David Haggerty
10-17-2004, 07:55 AM
can you imagine being in school and bringing your dad the dog poo king in for show and tell LOL.

My daughter told me it took her 3 years to tell the kids at school her dad was now the "Lawnmower man".

I started mowing full time when my job with General Telephone disappeared. I was an "Engineer, facilities, outside plant" Lots of title, terrible job. I like mowing much better. Now it's even paying better.

Dave