PDA

View Full Version : Building a Leaf Box

turfquip
10-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I need to build a 17' leaf box for the dump bed on my truck. I was wondering what materials some of you have used successfully to build your leaf box. Also, any recycled materials well suited for this application? Plywood is expensive ya know...

Also, I have heard of a breathable fabric for the top... Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Ed

dfor
10-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Plywood is how I made mine. As for a cover for the box, use one of these. It lets out plenty of air and is perfect for venting the box.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLCategoryDisplayView?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=434178&categoryId=224714

Green Care
10-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I used plywood also this is my second season with the same wood well worth it.

Dont know of any other way.

LB Landscaping
10-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Just like above, plywood and a Northern Tool mesh tarp. Painted it black to match. What are you bulidiing it on???

FrankenScagMachines
10-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Ed, having seen your setup, I am curious, where will the mower go? And i thought the bed was 14' but that doesn't matter (or did you get a different bed?). If it's the same bed I saw, how will you be emptying the box? I've emptied mine last year by hand (had a F250 like yours), and it was a long painful process, can't imagine a 17' box!

I suppose this isn't an option for you, but here's what I'm doing with my truck this fall: grain truck body on it. The sides come off (takes two guys, they're heavy and large) but has steel bows for holding a tarp on top. I'll put a vent in the rear of the box.

BTW, off topic, but thank you very much for making yourself available at the last minute and putting personal plans on hold. That was outstanding of you. :) :waving: :cool2:

Eric

FrankenScagMachines
10-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Oops, here's the picture. Blower works just fine BTW. Not sure it's any more powerful than the Echo PB650, but nice to have a different method.

This bed is 7.5' wide and 12' long, and 4' to the top of the roof bows. 11.6 cubic yard capacity. Next year I'll probably go a couple of feet higher on it.

turfquip
10-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Hello Eric,

The bed is 14' with a 3' dove on a swaploader hooklift.

You mentioned room for a mower...when I'm set up for leaves, there will not be a mower on board. As you know, the truck dumps so unloading is not an issue.

The steel bows w/tarp system you describe is probably what I'll end up with. The rear board will be the only thing to remove on mowing days.

Your welcome :-)

Thanks, Ed

FrankenScagMachines
10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Oh Ok, I didn't realize you won't be using the mower during cleanups. Gotcha. I also didn't realize the hooklift would tip the bed steep enough for dumping leaves. Well thats pretty slick then.
Eric