PDA

View Full Version : Business Name Question

Husky03
10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a simple name that is easy to remember. "Green Care" is my business name. I have magnets, cards, and uniforms made. Next year I plan to get insurance and a business licsense since I am now 16 and I have a truck trailer etc. and I will be turning my mowing into an official business. My concern is about my name. What if another LCO already uses my name? How does this work?

Thanks... :)

environment
10-12-2004, 07:26 PM
i think you are already heading in the wrong direction, almost the same one i did, and it was a screwup, only i had the name purchased so i dont worry about anyone having my name, that was the first thing i did

Green Care
10-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Once you register with your state they will tell you if the name is available.

environment
10-12-2004, 07:37 PM
judging from your name i am guessing that name is taken

tonygreek
10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Sorry, Husky. Your name is already in use by Green Care, LLC as an Indiana foreign registration from Louisville, KY.

Here's a link to the Indy Secretary of State (oversees your state's business services). Check out the entrepreneur resources and the business names search.

http://www.in.gov/sos/business/corporations.html

Good luck!

Tony,
Dayton, Ohio

Husky03
10-12-2004, 08:43 PM
:realmad: What if I was to change my name to "Green Care Lawn Service" instead of just "Green Care?" Could I get around it this way?

rodfather
10-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Probably not since it is too similar...you'll definately know in a couple of weeks (or less) when you get a letter from their attorneys to cease using that name. Been there, done that, 11 years ago.

Husky03
10-12-2004, 09:14 PM
This makes me mad. It is my own fault, but I did not know who to contact about choosing a name. I will try calling some of the numbers on that site tomorow and find out what I can do.

Husky03
10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
I just found this and I think this applies to me. This is pasted directly from the site. If I understand correctly I should not have to register my name or anything else??? ;) :help:

Informal Associations:

The following informal business associations require no filing with the Indiana Secretary of State:

Sole Proprietorship: One person who conducts business for profit. The sole owner assumes complete responsibility for all liabilities and debts of the business.
TAX: The income of the business is reported as part of the owner's personal income.

environment
10-12-2004, 09:31 PM
if you use someone else's name, and you get cought, which many have, you are royaly screwed, and in big trouble

Mo Green
10-12-2004, 09:40 PM
The best way to handle this is to go down to your local city hall and do a name search. Usually this department is located in or near the clerk of civil court. This way you will know for sure. Where I live they asked me to look through 3 books that contained all business names, in alphabetical order, registered in my county. If the name you want is not listed, then you should be able to use it, as long as someone else in the United States does't have that name trademarked.

tonygreek
10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
the link i posted for you has a names search which gives you the most up-to-date info. the names should show up on there within a week of receiving the application, so look through and come up with something unique. if you can use google, you can use their site to figure out what you can use. come up with a name, call the sec of state and check if it's available and then file the paper work. search only on green and you'll see 400+ names that can help you figure something out if you're stuck on that.

your tidbit you posted is not applicable to naming conventions and therefore is not something i, or any attorney, would recommend.

there are many words which can be added to a name which actually do not make your name different than one in existence. ie, if i'm called Bob's Mowing, "Bob's Mowing Company" is no different.

changing "Green Care" to something materially different, while maintaining a somewhat short name will be difficult.

Tony

all degree
10-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Man you guys over analyize everything. Dont worry about your name just make it a little different than the existing guys and move on. Chances are you will never hear a word about it.

environment
10-13-2004, 08:37 AM
actually, it can be a big problem
my companies name is Environmental Design & Management Inc.
I have gotten calls from Environmental Design Associates
Ive been private messaged here that Environmental Design is taken
Now I own the name of my company, nobody can use it without my permission, and I dont intend to give it, but because the name was so close, to others I cought a bit of heat, especially from Environmental Design Associates, So I would try and be as unique as possible

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Your "business name" may not be your biggest problem at this point. You said that you just turned 16. You need to check with your State and Local Law or with an Atty but in most all State's you can't get a Business License until you are 18 years old and cannot sign legally binding contracts until you are 18 and IF you find an Insurance Agent to write you Commerical Insurance at only 16 (which I doubt you will unless a parent signs with you) then it will cost you much, much more. I guess the real question you need to ask yourself is are you really running a business or are you just cutting a few neighbors yards?

tonygreek
10-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Larry, it's a big deal in that if the name is not different enough, the state will keep kicking it back. "Chances are no one will notice" is not a casual risk if you build recognition, and marketing expense, with one name and receive a cease and desist from someone's attorney. The point is moot if the state allows his selection.

As MMLawn brought up, I'd be more concerned with the insurance and licensing issues before I worried about a name. Great point.

Tony

Gravely_Man
10-13-2004, 01:50 PM
The below is my first concern as well. I couldn't have said it better.

Gravely_Man

Your "business name" may not be your biggest problem at this point. You said that you just turned 16. You need to check with your State and Local Law or with an Atty but in most all State's you can't get a Business License until you are 18 years old and cannot sign legally binding contracts until you are 18 and IF you find an Insurance Agent to write you Commerical Insurance at only 16 (which I doubt you will unless a parent signs with you) then it will cost you much, much more. I guess the real question you need to ask yourself is are you really running a business or are you just cutting a few neighbors yards?

Husky03
10-13-2004, 05:56 PM
MMLawn: What would you consider my biggest problem? I do not know if you would consider this a business, but I mow 10-12 lawns a week and I have done several large mulch jobs. It is damn hard for me to do much more while still in High school. I think it would be wise idea to have insurance since I just got done paying for a $400 window that was broke with my edger. Are you saying I should just set some money aside for any accidents and just pay for them out of hand instead of worrying about insurance at this time? Should I wait for the business licsense until I turn 18? I am trying to do this the right way and not the scrub way, but sometimes I think I should just keep mowing until I turn 18 and then worry about getting insurance and a licsense and becoming completely legal. Obviously I need some help here ;) Give me any advice you can.

sailinstud420
10-13-2004, 08:24 PM
I am 17 and starting to wonder about this for next year, (I will be 18). Can anyone give me a rough estimate, $ wise as to how much I can expect to pay for insurance, business license, taxes, etc.

tonygreek
10-13-2004, 11:41 PM
sailin, use the search function for those topics and you can find out. there's currently a thread going on insurance costs. as for the business license, hit your state's web site and find out.

taxes are another topic entirely. ask your parents, visit irs.gov, or talk to an accountant.

you guys seem to skirt the "real business" aspect that you clearly want but forget the biggest thing that makes you legit.... paying taxes.

and husky, saving money for damages is great, as filing insurance claims for every little thing is very, very bad, but are you going to pay out of pocket when little billy takes a mower-launched rock in the head? are your parents? lawsuits are not typically paid out of pocket.

Husky03
10-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Tonygreek: I plan to start paying taxes. Until this year I have not made enough to even consider filing taxes. I understand the concept of injury and lawsuit, but if I was to have my parents cosign for insurance and whatever else it is going to end up costing me out the ass and it will not be worth me continuing to mow until I have more time to do more than 10-12 accounts a week. :dizzy: What would you do in my situation?

Mo Green
10-14-2004, 08:38 PM
For you under 18 guys: do you think your parents will help? Maybe mom or dad could help with getting a business license. I think if my kid were still in high school and was as productive and ambitious as you are, I would be more than glad to help.

SodKing
10-14-2004, 09:09 PM
I own Green Grass Lawn Care. There are something like 7 others with the same name nationwide. I, however, am the only one registered in NH. Two years ago a young man in a local town decided to print up a bunch of fliers and place them in various stores advertising his lawn service as "Green Grass". I called the # and his mother answered (turns out they were neighbors to a client) and I advised her/him to cease and desist and change the name immedietly, which they did. Turns out they did not do their research and did not realize that the name was already taken.

Husky03
10-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Mo Green: What do you mean help out? My parents do not buy me much other than nescesities, that is why I learned how to start making money at a young age.

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I think he was asking you if they would help you out in getting insurance and a business license since you can't at your age.

Mo Green
10-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I think he was asking you if they would help you out in getting insurance and a business license since you can't at your age.
That is exactly what I was asking. You seem to be a hard working and very resourceful young man. You are going to school and running your own business. it sound like you have done well for yourself so far and you seem to know the value of hard work. If I had a son like you, I would be more than glad to help him out with a business lisence and insurance.

Husky03
10-15-2004, 05:40 PM
When I get a chance (probably on Monday) I am going to call and find out exactly what the situation is with my name and about getting a buainess liscense. I will keep this thread updated when I find out.

Thanks...