PDA

View Full Version : Does Your City Have a Map & Grid System ?

JustMowIt
10-12-2004, 07:51 PM
In our Dallas market, we have Mapsco See The Website (http://www.mapsco.com) which most service & delivery people use to find address's. We print our route logs using a mapsco page number, then a small Alpha grid ID. We service a lot of new homes not in the national maps, but mapsco keeps up with the new growth areas.

What system do you use to to print your route logs & how effective is it?
MJ

Precision
10-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't deal with near the volume (less than 3%)that you do, but what I do is print up directions from one house to the next and keep a map book in the truck, incase.

This makes it easier when I have someone helping who doesn't know the route. They can just follow the signs and turn left or right as indicated.

Evergreenpros
10-12-2004, 09:05 PM
We just use Microsoft Streets and Trips, it's accurate 98% of the time and it's easy to use. Even the 2% it doesn't get you there exactly, it always gets you within a stones throw of the house. We're switching to Microsoft Mappoint soon as it's a plug-in module on our scheduling program, supposedly we can just click on a route and it will spit out route sheets/directions (in theory).

txlawnking
10-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Mike, down in the Houston area, it's Key Maps. They are basically the same thing as the Mapsco maps.. Between Key Maps and Mapsco, I believe they have just about every metropolitan area of Texas covered.. I'm sure most other states have similar setups.. I'd say that I doubt you'll find a much better way to lay out your routes than that. I imagine that you could even use the scale and measure the mileage, But the maps aren't alway's exact. Possibly another alternative to make the routes more efficient may be using a GPS tracking setup, running the routes in the current mode, and trying alternate routes that you science out from the maps.. It's just an idea I had thought about back when I was a Repo Agent ( GPS, that is). I hope I was helpful, and God bless you and Terry richly.

drsogr
10-12-2004, 09:31 PM
I just get on Maps.com when I have a new house and get driving directions. Its amazing how many companies rely on directions from their customers or subcontractors to get them there. Its just a lot easier and less time consuming for me to look it up on the net.

ofishil
10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
i use a mapbook but i dont live in a really big city either. Down here we have a thing from the apraisal district and you can type in their address and it shows a pic of their house and all kinds of info like what it was appraised at.

crawdad
10-13-2004, 07:04 AM
I generally punch the phone number into http://www.anywho.com/rl.html for a map and directions. I can see how the mapsco thing makes an operation like yours run a lot smoother. Without something like that, you couldn't give a price over the phone.
Crawdad

walker-talker
10-13-2004, 08:45 AM
I usually just use www.mapquest.com and make sure I ask the person for the zipcode. Most of the time this is all I need.

out4now
10-13-2004, 10:57 AM
I was stationary so it didn't matter too much, but when I worked for a carpet cleaner we used laminated map book. Today when I need directions, Yahoo maps then download onto Palm Pilot.