PDA

View Full Version : Leaves with Stander

WoodBrothersLC
10-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow will be the first time we're throwing the grass gobbler on the new stander for leaves. Any tips for leaves with standers are appreciated as we're always looking for ways to increase productivity. The new stander saved us 45 minutes on the 2.5 acre cemetary we do, 45 minutes on a spread out 6 yard route last thursday, and 1.5 hours on an 11 yard tight route last wednesday. So far we love it, so please send us some leaf ideas.

Thanks

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Which brand stander?

WoodBrothersLC
10-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Wright, only the best.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Well it aint no deere, but it you want to collect leaves and leave the lawn completely debris free then Id run a catcher for sure which you have. Then depending on your hp, you could run doubles (probably a high lift and a gator per spindle). If you dont think you have sufficient power to run doubles, I run something like gator magnums or regular high lifts. You want a lot of vacuum and something that will throw the grass into the catcher best. Anything with a high wing/lift will give you those conditions. One thing I have noticed is that the more vacuum you create the less the grass will stripe unless you have a striping kit, because the grass is stood straight up and not bent to create stripes. In the fall though Id be more worried about leaving a clean cut than my stripes.

WoodBrothersLC
10-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks, and in regards to the deere, the only reason we didn't look at them is that the dealer we've bought 2 encore walk behinds and 3 JD14SB's from doesn't sell the JD standers, only the riders. Also, the hand controls for the JD are just like our friend's great dane, and the wright controls fit us a little better. We also liked the fact that there were a lot bigger tires on the wright with very deep tread for that gripping we need for some of our hills. And to top it all off the grass gobbler assembly is unbelievably easy.

impactlandscaping
10-12-2004, 10:05 PM
What I found to work for us this week was going over the leaves first, then put the GG on, and bag the second pass around. I run single Raptors on our 48" Standers, no doubles... I tried this on some smaller yards that I didn't need the truck loader for, and it worked great. Blow the leaves out in the center of the yard, mow 'em up, then bag, and there should be nothing left. BTW-I am running ours with mulching kits 100% of the time, which leaves very little clippings here in Fescues and Bluegrass blends. You may not need a second pass, but when you dump the bagger, you'll see what I mean. Good luck with it! Will-itsgottobegreen- will probably find this thread soon and give some advice as well.Congrats on the Stander!!

impactlandscaping
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
BTW Mark, your time will get better and better with the Stander. Most of our accounts have been cut in half from WBs and a Z. :p

Likestomow
10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Woody --- you definitly made the right choice. The JD's are front heavy. If you ever get a chance to demo one, try pulling the front end off the ground like you can do so easily with your Stander. With that extra weight on the front they are harder to turn and have less traction on hills.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-13-2004, 03:56 AM
Woody --- you definitly made the right choice. The JD's are front heavy. If you ever get a chance to demo one, try pulling the front end off the ground like you can do so easily with your Stander. With that extra weight on the front they are harder to turn and have less traction on hills.

How do you figure that a heavier front end would cause the deere's to have less traction? If anything its safer to have a heavier front end because you have less chance of having the front end lift when on hills where it counts. You cant just jump on a Deere stander and be a pro at it. They turn very well once you get the hang of the controls, so If your having trouble holding hills or turning Id say its operator failure not machine. And of course the deck on the Deere's are heavier, look at the difference in the design. You have an adjustable, floating, 7 Iron deck, vs a fabricated fixed deck. The mounting of the floating deck alone makes up a good portion of the weight. Also why would you want to do a wheelie with any lawn mower? Yeah they may be fun but they are not made for that. You would do a lot of damage to the whole mower (casters, wheel bearings, allignment of the deck, frame of the mower). Itsgottabegreen knows this first hand. He had to take the whole front end off his wright stander for repairs because of this. Also having a heavier front end helps keep the mower's cutting height level when accelerating, rather then lifting up and cutting the grass higher than desired.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-13-2004, 04:06 AM
Also, the hand controls for the JD are just like our friend's great dane, and the wright controls fit us a little better. We also liked the fact that there were a lot bigger tires on the wright with very deep tread for that gripping we need for some of our hills. And to top it all off the grass gobbler assembly is unbelievably easy.

I dont know what size tires come on the wrights, but the 54" and 60" Quik Traks come with 20 x 10-8 tires on the back and 13 x 5-6 front casters. Im pretty happy with them. Leave a nice foot print.

Yeah, the danes are very close in design, only they come with a fabricated floating adjustable deck not the 7 Iron decks.

I also have a catcher with a dust cover for the Deere made by accelerator. Made out of alluminum and it just lifts on and off. It also has a back door on the cather that allows you to add an extra catcher for leaf season when you need the extra room.

I really should post the pictures I took of my stander, I just havent taken the time to yet. There are many features on the deeres that leave the wrights in the dark.

Goodguy001
10-13-2004, 09:22 AM
I would recommend getting the Leaf Gobbler attachment for your Gobbler. It will add an additional 4.6 cu ft to the 4.3 Gobbler. I would also stick with the Grass Gobbler due to the steel construction and ease of repair. The accellerator is probably a good catcher but rewelding alluminum is going to be costly. Good luck with the Stander it is a very productive bullet proof machine.
Happy Mowing :waving:

Itsgottobegreen
10-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Wright, only the best.
I will second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend getting the Leaf Gobbler attachment for your Gobbler. It will add an additional 4.6 cu ft to the 4.3 Gobbler. I would also stick with the Grass Gobbler due to the steel construction and ease of repair. The accellerator is probably a good catcher but rewelding alluminum is going to be costly.

Exactly what I was going to say. I have two leaf gobbler and couldn't live with out them in the fall. Double gator blades, grassgobbler/leafgobbler and a stander. What a deadly combo. As the the accellerator if you break it you better have a welder than can weld aluminum. (My welder can) Anybody can weld steel.

Will-itsgottobegreen- will probably find this thread soon and give some advice as well.
Hold on, I am coming. I do have to go to work sometimes. I can't always be on lawnsite.com. LOL

. Also why would you want to do a wheelie with any lawn mower? Yeah they may be fun but they are not made for that. You would do a lot of damage to the whole mower (casters, wheel bearings, alignment of the deck, frame of the mower). Itsgottabegreen knows this first hand. He had to take the whole front end off his wright stander for repairs because of this.
First of all that is my 1998 stander that had the frame crack at 800 some hours. Wright changed the design on that after 1998 to solve that problem. I am very hard on equipment. My properties I spend a good amount of time in the air, because of how bumpy they are. And yes I have fun pulling wheelies, I do it all the time. I can go about 150 to 200 feet on a good day just on the rear wheels. If I break it again I don't care. I got a welder.

And for my own comments. Well I am glad you like your stander. Welcome to the Wright family. I guess we can add one more mark to the scoreboard for wright. I tell everybody how much time you can save with a stander. You have now experienced that. So when do we expect the next one. Because you just can't have one. Ask Impact about that.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-13-2004, 03:10 PM
First of all that is my 1998 stander that had the frame crack at 800 some hours. Wright changed the design on that after 1998 to solve that problem. I am very hard on equipment. My properties I spend a good amount of time in the air, because of how bumpy they are. And yes I have fun pulling wheelies, I do it all the time. I can go about 150 to 200 feet on a good day just on the rear wheels. If I break it again I don't care. I got a welder.

And for my own comments. Well I am glad you like your stander. Welcome to the Wright family. I guess we can add one more mark to the scoreboard for wright. I tell everybody how much time you can save with a stander. You have now experienced that. So when do we expect the next one. Because you just can't have one. Ask Impact about that.

I was just saying that wheelies are hard on any mower, especially when the only suspension they have is the give in the tires. With the heavier front end and floating deck on the JD wheelies would wreck havic on it for sure. The stress from wheelies has to go somewhere and usually its some part of the frame. I mean sure they are fun and props to you if you would do it again knowing you can fix it, but I spend enough on expenses so I try to avoid any unnecessary repairs or costs.

I love the idea of the standers. I went with the JD stander due to many features that the wrights lacked. I priced out the wrights, but decided that the Deere was right for me. I dont know how familiar people are with some of the features the deeres have. Most people dont know, or just say "oh you mean one of the super surfers". There are a lot of improvements on the new Deere's vs. the Danes, mainy with the deck design. I totally agree that standers will be more productive than a ZTR in tight areas or yards with a lot of obsticles. With the shorter length that the stander has compared to a ZTR your turns at the end of the pass are quicker and more productive. The width of the deck is wider on my stander then it is long allowing me to make a turn without going over already cut grass which = greater productivity. I cant wait to add another stander to my equipment list. Probably go with a 48" Quik Trak for smaller yards. I need a bigger trailer first though :p .

Aleman
10-13-2004, 04:59 PM
How much difference do you notice between the 23 and 17 on the 52" stander? Ive got a 17-52" and I wish it had more power. Its too slow in big yards and sometimes bogs in thick grass. Don't get me wrong, I love the mower but was curious about the 23...

Fareway Lawncare
10-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Anyone try the TracVac565 on a Stander....May be trying Stander's next year if the new design on the 36" fixes some problems...

Re: Accelerator vs. Gobbler...No Brainer if you've Used Both...Accelerator...

Cutworm
10-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Does Wright have any dealers in SC? Also, how is a Stander quicker than a Z?

WoodBrothersLC
10-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Aleman, the 23 was the best choice we've made. I didn't think we needed one that big, but my brother Joe was smart in persuading us to get it for only $150 more. We have only experienced the power of 14hp as we have only owned walk behinds previously. The 23 has never bogged at all yet, even through the thick leaves today, has NO trouble going up hills, and performs up to and exceeding the expectations we had for this mower. 23 is the way to go in our opinion.

Likestomow
10-13-2004, 07:31 PM
MJL --- when you have more weight on the front wheels, you have less weight on the rear (traction) wheels. This is very important when mowing sideways across a steep hill. You want all the weight you can get on your traction wheels. If you have extra weight on the front wheels, you have a very hard time going in a straight line and the mower will want to go down hill on you. It is also harder to backup on an incline with extra weight on the front wheels.

The wheelie thing on a Stander is for changing caster spacers. You just approach a tree, pull a wheelie and make the Stander climb the tree, then you quickly lock your parking brake.

WoodBrothersLC
10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I really should post the pictures I took of my stander, I just havent taken the time to yet. There are many features on the deeres that leave the wrights in the dark.

Please let me know about the features that "leave our mower in the dark" We have the ability to have every bagging option you do, we don't have the extra front weight, we've got the bigger rear tires, the 23 kawi. Needless to say, this mower is not at all left in the dark.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-13-2004, 07:46 PM
maybe he means the floating deck.........which is not an issue for me....

I don't change mowing heights...

Derek

61" Wright Stander w/ 23hp Kaw

WoodBrothersLC
10-13-2004, 07:52 PM
We're definately not fans of the floating deck as it is not necessary for us either.

Itsgottobegreen
10-13-2004, 08:14 PM
How much difference do you notice between the 23 and 17 on the 52" stander? Ive got a 17-52" and I wish it had more power. Its too slow in big yards and sometimes bogs in thick grass. Don't get me wrong, I love the mower but was curious about the 23...

Don't know yet. Its still sitting in the crate at the dealer. I am waiting for some customers to pay up so I can bring my new toy home. But my buddy has one and it will run circles around my 17 hp 52" .

I hate floating decks. Which is why I like the stander.

Fareway Lawncare
10-13-2004, 08:23 PM
what exactly is there to "hate" about a floating deck ? They follow turf contours better & you can go from 1" to 4.5" in seconds....

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Please let me know about the features that "leave our mower in the dark" We have the ability to have every bagging option you do, we don't have the extra front weight, we've got the bigger rear tires, the 23 kawi. Needless to say, this mower is not at all left in the dark.

Just so you know, that the whole thing about wrights come with bigger tires. I just checked same size rear tires as the rear tires on the Deeres. At least the JD 667 which has the 60" deck and the 657(54") and the 61" wright. Both have 20x10.00 -8. And the 23 hp V-twin kawi comes standard on the 657(54") and the 667(60") and the 19hp V-twin kawi on the 647(48").

Front caster tires are bigger too. On the deere 13 x 5-6 where the wrights have 11 x 400-5.

zmowingmaster
11-01-2004, 02:09 PM
hello all, i don't think that the fixed deck on the stander is a problem when changing the mower's cutting height, i usually use the ramp door of my trailer, i just leave one of the front wheels on the door, and the other hanging out,pull the brakes, change the height, and there you go, if your mower has those small plastic wheels right in the middle of the deck on the front, they will help too since the weight will be distributed on them and the front wheel that is on the ramp.....as for mulching the leaves ,try to move them to the middle and drive the mower backwards, it will mulch them and then go forward to bag them, i haul one yard a day from 12 houses that have lots and lots of leaves in a small ranger's step side bed. before i got my wright stander this year, i used to haul two yards at this time of the year.

Itsgottobegreen
11-01-2004, 02:15 PM
fix deck - Just one more thing to go wrong. Floating decks have to many extra parts. Which in turns adds that many more parts that can break.

I wish standers only had manual pto's and pull start. The new one has electric start. (I plan to put a pull start on it for back up.) Which is why I like my eXmark metro, nothing can go wrong with it. Not electric start, electric pto, fix deck, belt drive, etc. Cheap and reliable.

Call me old school if you like. But old school ways always work better in the long run.

CrewCutEnterprises
10-13-2005, 10:59 PM
I look all over for your posts, triing to find pictures of standers. But I agree about the metro, my toro walk behind is bullet proof. adjust some belts some tensioners for the blade engagement, no PTO to go bad, or electric clutch. I wanna keep it straight and simple.

Do u have any pics of standers you could send me??

fix deck - Just one more thing to go wrong. Floating decks have to many extra parts. Which in turns adds that many more parts that can break.

I wish standers only had manual pto's and pull start. The new one has electric start. (I plan to put a pull start on it for back up.) Which is why I like my eXmark metro, nothing can go wrong with it. Not electric start, electric pto, fix deck, belt drive, etc. Cheap and reliable.

Call me old school if you like. But old school ways always work better in the long run.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
10-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Fareway, havent heard from you in a while how goes it?? and i too would love to have that stander with the trac vac need the payup first

hole in one lco
10-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Fareway, havent heard from you in a while how goes it?? and i too would love to have that stander with the trac vac need the payup first
look at the date..........

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
10-14-2005, 12:02 AM
oooops damn somtimes im just not all with it :p