PDA

View Full Version : power rake, power broom or manual raking??

scott in the soo
10-13-2004, 11:15 AM
looking at the best method for my spring cleanups next spring,, what is the quickest and most effective method for dethatching lawns in the spring??

power broom(the ones that go on the end of a trimmer)

power rake(dethatcher) ie. bluebird

manual rake (10.00 rake at home depot)

scott in the soo
10-13-2004, 08:34 PM
...............................bump

proenterprises
10-13-2004, 08:36 PM
obviously, the best tool is the one they named the job after, the dethatcher. invest the money, it will not only do the best job but also be the most efficient tool for the job.

Zach76
10-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Definitely go with the power rake/dethatcher. Then use a b/p blower to move the thatch into piles. Tarp it, bag it, load it, or vacuum it up from there. Remember that most of your time will be in the cleanup unless you have a couple guys following along behind you.

cantoo
10-13-2004, 09:15 PM
We use a 5' powered broom on the front of a jd 935, a tine dethatcher on the Walker or a pull behind 6' tine dethatcher on the Steiner depending on the job. We've considered the broom on the trimmer but that thing is way to heavy and I'm too lazy to get off my azz.

oneandonlyjojo
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Definitely go with the power rake/dethatcher. Then use a b/p blower to move the thatch into piles. Tarp it, bag it, load it, or vacuum it up from there. Remember that most of your time will be in the cleanup unless you have a couple guys following along behind you.

word what he said

bushtrimmer
10-13-2004, 10:07 PM
This might be a stupid question, but why dethatch yard as part of spring cleanup? A little bit of thatch is good for a yard, it tends to hold a little more moisture in the root zone of the grass. It doesn't choke out grass from an annual buildup. I think a double pass with an aerator would be a lot more beneficial for the yard.