PDA

View Full Version : what do u do with this guy?

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 01:10 PM
i cut grass at this old guys house. his 2 sons, who don't live there, have control over all his money. i cut his lawn, trim the shrubs in the front only, and clean the leaves, and i send a bill to his son. anything that is done, needs to be first ok'd by his sons, because as they say, "it's comming out of our inheritance." the old man is constantly after me to do other things, like trim a couple trees, and trim the shrubs in the back yard. the sons say no. i've about had it with the old guy bugging me and my crew. everytime we are there, he stops us from working, to bring us in the back yard and show us that he can't see out his back windows cus the shrubs are too high, the branches from the trees rub against the house and keep him up at night, etc. i tell him over and over, that his sons won't pay for the extra work, and since he has no money, it aint gettin done. i've called his sons numerous times and told them about the old mans requests, they said to ignore him. today after i mowed the front, i went to the back to find one of my guys pulling some vines off the back steps. he said the old guy pleaded with him to do it, cus it's so overgrown, he can't get out of his back door. i told him to stop. the worst thing here, is money is not an issue, the family is very wealthy. i am tacking on a consultation fee of $50 for the constant interuptions from the old guy stopping us to show us this and that. other than that, how do u handle a situation like this. i feel sorry for the old guy, but i aint running a charity.

Avery
10-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Simple. Drop him.

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Since it is this late in the year I'd probably finish him and increase the price next year to make up for the hassle. If they take it you win if they don't you're finished with him.

pjslawncare/landscap
10-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Ill bet the $50 consultation fee will take care of this account. PITAs should be charged

Gravely_Man
10-13-2004, 01:28 PM
That really is a hard one Bobby. You care for the older gentlemen but you are running a business. If the sons will not give in then you have no choice but to ignore the gentlemen or drop the account.

Gravely_Man

pjslawncare/landscap
10-13-2004, 01:34 PM
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
What a coincidence, One of my biggest PITAs just called to say she just sold her home and wont need any future services. I caught more than one of my guys pulling weeds for her just as u Bob. Ive sent her service chages evey time as well & have steadily increased her price over the years (yea, I put up with her for years!). She just got remaried and her new hubby will do it now. We will see how long that goes, but I will be real busy when she calls again. :waving: :waving:

kingenterprises
10-13-2004, 01:42 PM
My goodness guys! Granted I know you run businesses, but how about some compassion?????

There has to be a win win situation here. Isn't there a price you can charge this account that will justify some extra work each week? It could be a blanket charge for Mowing, where some extra work is figured in but not listed on the contract.

Heck the old guy is trapped. I have a hard time using standardized programs for specific individuals.

Here is an opportunity to be of service to a kind old gentleman who needs help.

I'd call my increase to the sons something like "Fuel Surcharge and inflation increase" Heck the 50.00 consultation fee you charge should allow for some extra work.

My litmus test is putting myself in the old gentleman's place. I'd be trapped and desperate for some help.

Hell and all this from a conservative Republican.

Peace

King Enterprises

olderthandirt
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Is the old man competant to sign a contract? If yes then get one signed and screw the sons. If he's not call social services and get the man some help. Whats the kids are doing is called elderly abuse and its against the law. Might want to mention that to the Money hungry sob's next time they turn down a service that stops a man from getting out of his house, What would he do in the case of a fire? Take Pics first before confronting the kids in case you have to turn them in.

Mac

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 01:51 PM
the $50 surcharge is for the constant abuse i put up with from the old guy. he, and his sons, are filthy rich. so rich in fact, that if i were to mention his name, i bet you've heard of him. so you think i should "hide the cost" of the extra work? that is dishonest, and in fact stealing, i like it :) but i aint doin it.

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 01:57 PM
excellent idea mac, excellent. why didn't i think of that? the freakin vines, are so overgrown, they are blocking the back steps, no way he can get out the back door. the sons are funny, i called one of them," i was at your fathers house, he says he wants the back bushes trimmed, he can't even see out the back windows." the son says, " can he see out the front window?" i say, "yes, he can." he says, "well then fk him, tell him to look out the front window."

mastercare
10-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Golden rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.

IF the sons are in control of the money, and they're the ones you bill; all work to be done has to go through them. Tell the older man that your contact person is their son, therefore you can only take work requests from the people show sign the checks. It wouldn't hurt to inform the sons that they need to speak with their dad and find out what needs done.
Let the sons know that if their dad's house needs work that is ignored. It'll be their problem when they inherit the house. Best to keep on top of things.