PDA

View Full Version : oldest trick in the book

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 02:09 PM
oldest trick in the book, i can't believe at this stage of the game, a customer is trying to pull this on me. here it is: you run a strict payment policy, like i do. i get my money by the first, or the service stops immediately. well, here it is, oct. 13th, payment is 13 days late. naturally i did not service the property after the payment became late (oct. 1st). here is the call i get, "bob, hi, this is mr. jones. let me know when you are comming to cut the grass again, i'll LEAVE A CHECK FOR YOU in the mailbox." see what happened here? they like to keep you on the hook. they still owe from sept, payment is late btw, and the only way they intend on paying me, is for me to come by and do more work for them, just to get the money they owe me that is past due. :nono: :nono: :nono: not a chance in hell it's goin down like that. i'll drive by tommorow, grab my check from the mailbox, then demand payment for the cuts that were missed as a result of thier late payment, a late fee, and a surcharge for having to drive over there to get a check. new guys, don't fall for the old, "i'll pay you next time you come over to cut my grass" trick. it's older than olderthandirt.

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah I have a customer that is a $30 cut (EASY cut too for me so we are both getting a good deal on this one) and INSISTED on a weekly invoice and weekly payment. No problem and fine by me. So we leave an invoice every week along with a Self Addressed Return Envelope for the payment and guess what? Yep, he is always 3-4 weeks behind. The last invoice that I got payment for was for 4 cuts (a month..go figure) and it clearly said $90 PAST DUE plus the Current cut of $30 making it a total of $120.00. What did he do? Sent a check 3 days later for $90. Right now he is a 3 cuts ($90) behind again. Why? He has the money. I would drop him but if this makes sense I actually enjoy cutting this yard.

olderthandirt
10-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Nope oldertandirt want a cashiers check deivered before work proceeds Mac [QUOTE=bobbygedd]oldest trick in the book, i can't believe at this stage of the game, a customer is trying to pull this on me. here it is: you run a strict payment policy, like i do. i get my money by the first, or the service stops immediately. well, here it is, oct. 13th, payment is 13 days late. naturally i did not service the property after the payment became late (oct. 1st). here is the call i get, "bob, hi, this is mr. jones. let me know when you are comming to cut the grass again, i'll LEAVE A CHECK FOR YOU in the mailbox." see what happened here? they like to keep you on the hook. they still owe from sept, payment is late btw, and the only way they intend on paying me, is for me to come by and do more work for them, just to get the money they owe me that is past due. :nono: :nono: :nono: not a chance in hell it's goin down like that. i'll drive by tommorow, grab my check from the mailbox, then demand payment for the cuts that were missed as a result of thier late payment, a late fee, and a surcharge for having to drive over there to get a check. new guys, don't fall for the old, "i'll pay you next time you come over to cut my grass" trick. it's older than olderthandirt

riches139
10-13-2004, 04:27 PM
You'll be lucky if there IS a check in the box. :angry:

out4now
10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Oh they will probably leave him a check and it won't include the work they expect him to do when he shows up hoping that he can't add and figure out that they are cheating him. Sounds like a PITA. Take the money and run!

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 05:46 PM
of course it wont include the work i'm supposed to do. that's all part of the plan, get it, keep you on the hook, by constantly oweing you money

tinman
10-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Bobby is right on the money. Seen it many times.

HOOLIE
10-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Tell him its a violation of Federal law to use the mailbox in this way. And of course you wouldn't want to get in trouble with the USPS. So he'll have to do a better job of getting the check to you (of course with the next months payment attached as well)

rodfather
10-13-2004, 07:03 PM
it's older than olderthandirt.

nuthin is older than mac...he was around way before McDonalds sold their first 100 hamburgers LOL.

proenterprises
10-13-2004, 08:47 PM
this is all too true. you must stick to your payment policies, or you will just get run around and burned in the long run. take it and run bobby, dont look back.

LB Landscaping
10-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Got one running the same scam. I have skipped them because they are a month behind on payment. Called the other day left a message asking where I had been and that they had a check waiting in the house for me just knock when I got there. I called back and told them that holding a check for ransom wasn't going to get me there!!!! :angry:

olderthandirt
10-13-2004, 09:22 PM
nuthin is older than mac...he was around way before McDonalds sold their first 100 hamburgers LOL.
Rod my friend you are so wrong! I was not around "way" before they sold the 1st 100. I bought the first 99. please have your facts correct before you impugn my reputation :cool:

Mac

GreenMonster
10-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Rod my friend you are so wrong! I was not around "way" before they sold the 1st 100. I bought the first 99. please have your facts correct before you impugn my reputation :cool:

Mac

Mac,

Can you please tell the story again about when they invented dirt? Pleeeeeease!

bushtrimmer
10-13-2004, 09:35 PM
If it takes that long to get paid when they want work done. What will they do when there's no grass to cut for the winter? Pay you the end of March?

Our contracts clearly states payment is due on a net 15 day term. that gives 2 weeks lead time b4 we start collecting interest. We've taken em to court for the interest, and we get it and attorneys fees, that's in our contract as well.

JustMowIt
10-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Yeah I have a customer that is a $30 cut (EASY cut too for me so we are both getting a good deal on this one) and INSISTED on a weekly invoice and weekly payment. No problem and fine by me. So we leave an invoice every week along with a Self Addressed Return Envelope for the payment and guess what? Yep, he is always 3-4 weeks behind. The last invoice that I got payment for was for 4 cuts (a month..go figure) and it clearly said $90 PAST DUE plus the Current cut of $30 making it a total of $120.00. What did he do? Sent a check 3 days later for $90. Right now he is a 3 cuts ($90) behind again. Why? He has the money. I would drop him but if this makes sense I actually enjoy cutting this yard.

Invoices & monthly statements are just an excuse for customers to mess around with paying for the service in a timely manner. We got out of the "finance business". Each mow is charged to the credit card on file, the day after the mow.

I have a massive payroll, taxes, and creditors to pay every week, and that is just how customers are going to pay....ON TIME!

work_it
10-15-2004, 11:41 AM
I've been burned in the past a couple times too by this same little scam customers try to pull. Next season I'm considering a "pay in advance" system or something along the lines of what JustMowIt is doing.

JustMowIt
10-15-2004, 06:41 PM
I've been burned in the past a couple times too by this same little scam customers try to pull. Next season I'm considering a "pay in advance" system or something along the lines of what JustMowIt is doing.

The problem with pre-pay is getting the customers to actually "pre-pay" on the appropriate schedule. Our experience has been that a customer will pre-pay for say 10 mows when the lawn is very tall, then when the mowings expire, they never re-up till the lawn is very tall again. It does not matter if you call or send a letter, most people only take notice when the lawn is a "jungle". Then on a pre-pay system the customer always wants to stop as early as possible, or calls and wants a refund for the last couple of scheduled services that are close to the end of the season.

We always find it best to work with customer's natural tendencies, which is to do absolutely nothing!!!! Most of our customers will stick with the allotted schedule that we mail them in February, all the way till the end of the season, because they were not required to do anything! We do not send statements as a reminder or anything, once again most customers are too lazy to call or e-mail to stop service early.

Mueller Landscape Inc
10-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Invoices & monthly statements are just an excuse for customers to mess around with paying for the service in a timely manner. We got out of the "finance business". Each mow is charged to the credit card on file, the day after the mow.

I have a massive payroll, taxes, and creditors to pay every week, and that is just how customers are going to pay....ON TIME!

Yes, let the banks issue the credit. That's why the banks are in business.