PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy equip. what to buy?

newbydfw
10-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey fellas.what a great site. Want to start out in a new lawncare business in the Dallas Ft.Worth area. I have already purchased a new 2004 Chevy HD 2500. Looking to buy a tamdem axle 16' trailer with folddown gate.Not looking for a full landscape trailer, to much money. Looking to buy 1 ZTR and possibly a walkbehind or a smaller ZTR to get through a 36'gate. I have about $10K to spend.If any dealers are here. E-Mail me at LD073 @ aol.com. Also could use any bid information and business advice you could give.

Thanks newbydfw

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey fellas.what a great site. Want to start out in a new lawncare business in the Dallas Ft.Worth area. I have already purchased a new 2004 Chevy HD 2500. Looking to buy a tamdem axle 16' trailer with folddown gate.Not looking for a full landscape trailer, to much money. Looking to buy 1 ZTR and possibly a walkbehind or a smaller ZTR to get through a 36'gate. I have about $10K to spend.

You might want to look at financing or used stuff then because $10K will buy you the trailer (a good price will be around $1500 for what you want) and a new 52" Z will be around $7500 then taxes and tags so the $10K is gone. Do you already have your commerical trimmers, back packer blowers and edgers, etc? Also of course you'll need business license, TX State Sales Tax license, Commerical Insurance all of which will cost money also.

As it is stated here a lot there is a lot of comp also in DFW area (as really everywhere) so it will not be fast easy money by any stretch. Good luck.

landscapingpoolguy
10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
buy a 52" and a 36" used walkbehind and get a sulkie for them.....alos get a 21" could prolly pick upp everything for less then 5 grand used.

out4now
10-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Bummer you didn't come here before the new truck. What hit you take in depriciation would have bought som emore stuff. Look for a good used trailer and the highst end equip you can as it will be your source of income. Look at auctions, equipment trader, newspaper where ever you think you can save some $. If you don't need a 21 inch trim mower much buy a used one with bad engine and just replace it. Since you're trying to save, maybe a split shaft weedeater with add on tools may work for you until you can buy the rest. It will wear out pretty fast with heavy use like anything else so be prepared. Get most of your hand tools used at a yard sale to start out as well. Consider an old horse trailer for your equipment. A little more secure than completely open. Lots of guys out here do it. Good luck.

Travis Followell
10-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Your best bet would be buy used equipment. Shop around your local dealers for a good used 52" ztr and a 32"-36" walk behind. Or you could just forget about the walk behind and buy a new commercial 21". You will need a new trimmer, edger, backpack blower and possubly hedge trimmer. if you get a good used ZTR that has been taken care of it will last you a long time.

txlawnking
10-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Newby, get my Super Surfer off of e bay. It's got less than 50 hrs. 52"/22hp Kohler.. And best of all, It's in TX.. check it out, it's a deal.

landscapingpoolguy
10-13-2004, 09:09 PM
well I say buy used and pay cash because hes a beginner, and if hes gotta get out of the equipment and he finances himself to the teeth hes gonna be stuck with a chunk of payments and debt. this equipment we all know deprciates by half as soon as you take it outta the showroom

NNJLandman
10-13-2004, 10:02 PM
All of my equipment is used. Haven't had any major problems or had to make any major repairs to my equipment. I went on ebay, Scag 36 $500.00, echo pb-650 backpack blower $200.00, echo hedge trimmers pc-150 $150, everything paided for it self already, I've seen a ztr for like $3000.....jus take your time make smart purchases. I have a fairly nice business now and i put little money into it and got a lot out. Is this the way to always go....NO, but it worked out for me. Good Luck.

Jeff

tiedeman
10-13-2004, 10:03 PM
my advice is to start out nice and smooth and don't get into debt too quick too fast. Take it easy and get a feel for things

Kelly's Landscaping
10-13-2004, 11:35 PM
I agree with tiedeman give it a year or 2 before you get your self in debt I personally like to keep my debt to a minimum meaning 2-4 months income. But you need to know what that income really is before you go spending it prior to earning it. The money will come and the numbers can get huge what most every one I know can not understand is in business things are different then having a job. I will hear stuff like wait to you have money before you spend 10k on a new mower and that is sound advice for employee which most people are. But it is not sound advice for a company you do not need to worry so much about your savings as you need to worry about cash flow that is what non-business owners just do not seem to get. When you know what your income is every month then you have a good idea what you have to work with i.e. a 10 k mower may only be a week or twos income once you have an established company. So get a steady cash flow before you go getting your self in a deep hole.

SpudsM15
10-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Let me give u some advise by telling u how I got in the biz.
I started by cutting non legit for a year paid for the truck and had a nice nest egg to dip into for a mower. The biggest mistake i made was not marketing for almost a year and a half i did flyers but they gave me very low response.
So my cashflow was low everything paid for itself but my profit was nowhere i wanted it to be. I mean i though as soon as I got the big equipment iwould be making big bucks but that no where near how it goes as your expenses get bigger!
So my advise to u is plan for about 3-5year in advance with the trailer get a decent 16' with a ramp don't go cheap on this as its very important (2k). Get the best trimmer and best backpack..(redmax. run you about 900 bones for them) If you can find a cheap but decent condition used commercial machine jump on it, but i'd say just to start get yourself a decent 21"($400 +/-). Then save the rest of your cash 7700left. Work out everything legally get your biz licence get some liab insurance. set that up learn it... I dunno how much its gonna cost you but lets say 1k to start Although insurance will prolly be like 2-3k but it'll be split up. So 6700 left your gonna need a trimmer rack!!!! look for my post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=85896
200, 6500 left get the truck lettered 2-300, Then do some marketing put ad in paper, flyers, try to hook up with other companies.....
Basically what I'm telling you to do is keep your overhead as low as possible until you have a customer base to support it! The way it seems you haven't had a lawncare biz so I'd say making such a big investment all at once isn't to smart learn as you go and buy as needed... And don't take to much money to fast!

Soupy
10-14-2004, 01:26 AM
SpudsM15, How many employees do you have?

SpudsM15
10-14-2004, 04:40 PM
had one full timer but he got a better job and gets paid more than i make!
and i got a p/t guy for the landscapin work...
Oh and i can't really figure this out but I seem to be cutting the same amount of lawns in the same amount of time without help... this boggles my mind..

Soupy
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
had one full timer but he got a better job and gets paid more than i make!
and i got a p/t guy for the landscapin work...
Oh and i can't really figure this out but I seem to be cutting the same amount of lawns in the same amount of time without help... this boggles my mind..

The reason Why I asked you how many employees you had, was because you gave a very high insurance rate. A guy starting out will probably be solo, and can get equipment insurance, 1 million per incident liability with a 2 million max. For around $600 sometimes even less.

SpudsM15
10-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Ummm 2 seasons ago my gen lia and equipment insurance ran me about 700. Then the truck and trailer was about 1.7k
The vec. insurance is pretty expensive here in jersey, back then for personal insurance for my truck was 3k!!!!

Soupy
10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Ummm 2 seasons ago my gen lia and equipment insurance ran me about 700. Then the truck and trailer was about 1.7k
The vec. insurance is pretty expensive here in jersey, back then for personal insurance for my truck was 3k!!!!

Correct, I wasn't including truck insurance. Mine runs around a $1200 for commercial full coverage. I too saved money when going commercial and that is why I didn't consider it an extra expense. He already has that expense and it shouldn't change much, even though it will soon be considered a business expense for him :)