PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 3 walk behind Aerators

littlenic
10-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Iím looking at purchasing a walk behind aerator. It looks like Iím between the Billy Goat the split drum Turfco and Lesco. I have a lot of hills and beds to contend with. Next year Iíll purchase the Z mounted GatorRator's for open areas but now I need input into which would be my best fit. It looks like the Billy Goat has self propelled for loading and unloading, I donít know about the rest. Input is appreciated.

Thanks littlenic :pumpkin:

littlenic
10-13-2004, 03:19 PM
By the way I have done the search thing 4 or 5 times read what there was but two of the three are fairly new and there are none here to demo and compare so your input about these machines would be very welcome.

Thanks again, littlenic :waving:

littlenic
10-20-2004, 02:32 PM
I can't believe no one has any experience with the Billy Goat or the split drum Turfco to share? I have a lot of hills and would really appreciate your input. I don't want to purchase the wrong piece of equipment if I can help it.

Thanks again littlenic :help:

bntt68
10-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I wanted to know the same thing. I am leaning towards the Billy Goat. I have the Billy Goat 33" mower and love it.

Lawn-Scapes
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I have limited experience with walkbehinds and that was limited to only the Lawnaire V by Ryan. Have you looked at Ryan? I've read here that Plugr is very good. Sorry I can't be of more help. What size are you looking at?

gogetter
10-20-2004, 03:17 PM
As Tom said above, the Plugr always gets good reviews here.

In my very limited experience, the type with with the weighted drum in the front are hard to handle, especially on any kind of slope. They have a higher center of gravity, and seem to want to tip over on even the slightest of slopes. They require some manhandling to keep it upright ans going straight.

The Plugr seems like it would have a lower center of gravity, and that combined with it having four wheels, one on each corner, seems like it would be more stable on hills/slopes. But this is just speculation, no personal experience with one......yet.

Try to demo as many styles as you can, either from a dealer, or rent different types from rental yards. You may have to spend a little money upfront renting, but better to do that then to shell out a few grand for an aerator you're not happy with.

walker-talker
10-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I got my Plugr a couple months ago and love. Easy to use, but have not tried it much on hills yet.

Gravely_Man
10-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Please for the sake of your back do as much research as possible. I have been stuck with some of the top heavy models that you just have to manhandle everywhere. You donít even want to think about doing any slopes with these!

Gravely_Man

Envirotech
10-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Bought the Billy Goat about six months ago. Not really crazy about it. Here's a few reasons.
-Seems bulky, heavier than the Ryan and Bluebird rental units I've used in the past but the aerating width is the same as those units.
-Tines don't seem to penetrate any deeper or better than the old rentals I've used in the past
-Paid 2600.00 for this unit. I wish I would have saved the six or seven hundred and bought a more basic unit.
-The swivel wheels on the back are OK but this machine doesn't seem any easier to use than cheaper, more basic competitors.
-Throttle cable comes up around handle and is uncomfortable when you're trying to control and steer unit.
Several small pieces have fallen off or shaken loose of this unit while I was out in the field, causing costly delays while I crawled around the yard on my hands and knees looking for nuts, bolts, etc.
I know that Billy Goat has a good reputation, but it doesn't look like they did their homework on this machine. I'd gladly sell this machine if I could find someone to buy it