PDA

View Full Version : Door hangers - LCO code of ethics

Little o
10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Hey guys,

Newbie here again, looking at ways to get some clients this spring.

There is a brand new development in the area, one of those planned communities with the ballfields and community parks. Oldest house in the community is probably 5 years and they're constantly knocking down trees for more. Just driving by I've seen other LCO's servicing people in the community.

Doorhangers seems to me to be an effective form of getting the word out, without having to knock on doors and bothering people. The owners can just grab the doorhanger, keep it for future reference, call it, or roundfile the sucker.

Question is, using the LCO code of ethics, not knowing which people have existing LCO contracts, am I in violation with you guys to just doorhang everyone form "A" st. to "Z" st.. No pricing will be displayed, just the services offered and a contact number.

My gut instinct is that its a relatively free market economy, and as long as I don't advertise prices, the owner can just rouldfile the hanger if he/she is happy with their current service.

Thanks, guys

Doug

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Door hangers are fine and most all of us use them in some form or another and you are on the right track. I think what just gets other LCO's (including me) is when "lowballers" know that you are cutting xyz lawn and try and steal it from you with a lower price, etc. Door hangers/mailers that is a whole different game as you don't really know who does and who doesn't use an LCO or even which one. If the LCO is giving a fair price (and you do also) they should still be okay if their service is at the level it should be.

So go for it.

Liberty Lawncare
10-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Hangers have been my best advertizement. I do not put a flyer on a property I have seen another company servecing regulary. If I have seen a company at a property one time (like planting a tree or something) I consider that fair game. Maby I am right or wrong but thats what I do and have no problems with the other companys in the area.

twins_lawn_care
10-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Door hangers as well have been a good marketing piece for us. This year, we have added a space to provide estimates for the yards we hang them on. this saves us time from going back, and gives the home owner an instant idea on pricing. it's our fair price for the size lawn we put it at, and so we see nothing wrong with it. It may be lower or higher than what someone is doing it for at the time, we have no idea. We are just advertising what we will do for them, and not against what anyone else has.
If I ever see an LCO working on a lawn though, I simply do not do that house out of courtesy as you talk about.

We have gotten a good response spring and fall from them. about 1 or 2 calls from every 50 we hand out, which is good in our book.

good luck to you.

MMLawn
10-13-2004, 04:52 PM
<b>We have gotten a good response spring and fall from them. about 1 or 2 calls from every 50 we hand out, which is good in our book.</b>

Yes, that is a very good rate.

chevyman1
10-13-2004, 04:55 PM
I put a flyer on every house, regardless if they had an LCO or not during my first year and will continue to put them on all houses when sweeping a neighborhood. Does WalMart use a database that says which people shop at KMart and then take them off their mailing lists? Come on, yeah lowballing is ultimately going to hurt everyone, but throwing an ad and a price on a door is fine in most people's minds. I know of 3 accounts on a street out of the 9 I do there that I took from 1 guy. He confronted me about it and asked how they got my name and stuff, and I said I put a flier on their door and they called me. he then asked my price and I was equal on 2 and $5 cheaper on the 3rd...of course, it's just me this year, and he is paying 3 guys too so I was fair in my assessments. 2 of the people asked me that day what he had to say and I told them....they said "yeah, that guy has no personality and he and his crew always looked miserable and scummy, so we were refreshed to meet you"....he has multiple earings and tattoos, and that didn't blend there. I guess he used to have 15 places there, and is now down to 4. Trust me, I will advertise to those others too, and present MY case, not put him down. Others may think he's the best ever

proenterprises
10-13-2004, 06:19 PM
where do you guys get your door hangers from, maybe i will do this instead of flyers!

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 06:51 PM
there is no "code of ethics"

crawdad
10-13-2004, 07:04 PM
there is no "code of ethics"
One rule,
"Anybody can do anything."

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
there u go, crawdad said it right. anyhow, i find that having less friends has its benefits....you don't get too upset when they stabb u in the back

HOOLIE
10-13-2004, 08:01 PM
No problem in my book to "blanket" doorhang a neighborhood. There's a difference between advertising and lowballing/stealing work.

oneandonlyjojo
10-13-2004, 08:26 PM
there is no ethics in landscaping almost everyone is a scumbag do what u gotta do to be successful.

bobbygedd
10-13-2004, 08:46 PM
jo jo, you are wrong!!!! you said , " almost....."

proenterprises
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Well, were not all scumbags bobby :waving:

BTW-where does everyone get their door hangers???

Dixie Cutters
10-13-2004, 11:15 PM
http://www.48hourprint.com/

Soupy
10-14-2004, 06:09 AM
I have met guys over the years that I do not compete with. These are guys I met at a dealer, or gas station. If I meet someone and like them, I will put them on my do not compete list. Which right now is only a handful out of hundreds.

All lawns are fair game when it comes to advertising, unless I know if one of the above does them. I will not put a door hanger on a property while it is being serviced, but I might drive back by later and put one on the door. What am I saying! I don't hand out door hangers. I pay someone else to do that :p . But if I did, that is how I would do it.

Only twice have I gotten calls from a home owner that I knew was being serviced by someone on my do not compete list. I politely told the person that it would be a conflict of interest for me to bid on their lawn. In both cases I told the other LCO that I was approached by their customer.

Runner
10-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I do this a little differently. For fert. and chem., a good market is those that already HAVE service. This way, you know they are interested in that, and that they are willing to pay. Most any time that I see a "big green" sign in a yard, I take down the address. These addresses will be getting a letter from me explaining the benefits of REAL nutrients. Call it what you like, but it;s fair game. As far as the mowing goes, for commercials, if a place looks decent, and they are geting good service, - leave it alone. As far as getting more residential mowing accounts, - I couldn't care less. Those just come.

Gravely_Man
10-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Going and getting you name out by putting the door hangers up is perfect. It is a good method of advertisement. There is no way for you to know if a person already has an existing LCO.

Gravely_Man