PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rear door for leaf box...

walker-talker
10-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Last year I built two barn style doors for leaf box out of angle iron and plywood. The grass and leaves would get to packed that it would bow the top of doors outward. It was only latched down at the bottom. Over summer, the doors were not latched down and strong wind broke one. No big deal, needed to rebuild anyway. I already decided to make new door(s) out of 2" square tubing. I have a choice here...either to make 2 barn style doors again or one door that hinges from the top...like a dump truck. The area for door measures approx. 6' high and 8.5' across.

1) Barn style doors
pros- would be able to load other debris by hand easily.
doors would open all the way for easy dumping
cons- more steel and more wieght
more time to build
not sure if hinges would be able to withstand all that weight
would have to be able to latch at the top as well at bottom to keep
top from bowing.

2) One door hinged at top
pros- easier to build
would not have to design latch at top
less steel and less weight
less chance of any bowing and would be overall stronger
cons- might have problems unloading grass and leaves (by this I mean when I
go to dump, the door might not swing out far enough for the debris to
unload easily with it's own weight)
would have to fabricate something to hold door up wo be able to load
debris (branches and such) by hand and possibly for unloading

I am leaning towards the one door design, but just concerned about the door swinging out of the way for dumping.

Any ideas and input is appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

LCME
10-13-2004, 05:18 PM
I think you answered your own question. I'll take door #2. Before I finished your thread I was thinking a full door hinged at the top. I have never built one but if I did... Good luck, LCME

landscapingpoolguy
10-13-2004, 05:34 PM
why not put a garage style door on that thing?

mdb landscaping
10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
heres how i did my box i had on my trailer last year before i sold it. i hinged at the top. worked great. just beef up the top part.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3019&stc=1

mdb landscaping
10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
heres the box on our truck at work. its totally galvanized, but this door is hinged a little different. as you dump the door comes up a little so it doesnt hit the ground.

kemmer
10-13-2004, 07:40 PM
what if u had a it hing on the side and have it swing open?

cantoo
10-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Mine is like mdb's except that I used the a draw pin and hooks for hinges so that I could take off the door easily. It works good and dumping is not a problem the door just opens as I lift the hoist. It doesn't have to open all the way to dump. I have a small door on the side that I can load small branches in and any loose leaves after cleaning up from the blower.

LB Landscaping
10-13-2004, 10:06 PM
One door hinged at the top should be fine. Mine opens with no problem at all. How much clearance do you have when the bed is in the up position though??? As far as loading I just leave a 2X4 strapped to the side so I can prop it up if needed.

walker-talker
10-14-2004, 04:55 AM
One door hinged at the top should be fine. Mine opens with no problem at all. How much clearance do you have when the bed is in the up position though???
I had planned on measuring that before I started construction.

walker-talker
10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Thought I post a little update to this. I have the frame mounted, but need to take it off to do some more welding on the backside of the hinges. I have the sheet metal ordered and should be here sometime in the next couple days. As you can see, there is not much clearance when the bed is in the up position. I will have to see how well the debris comes out under it's own weight before I make any other modifications. I built the frame out of 2" square tubing...18 guage I believe. It's a stout door and don't think I should have to worry about it bowing like I did with the angle iron door I had used before. I will get one more pic here in the next couple weeks when it's completed.

mtdman
10-31-2004, 07:54 PM
When I built a leaf box last year, I didn't hinge the door panel. I attached it to the box with hasps. That way when I went to dump the leaves, I just pulled the door right off and set it to the side. I put three hasps down each sided and secured them with a bolt through the middle. Never had a problem with bowing, etc. Worked great.

MOW ED
11-01-2004, 07:21 AM
I caught this one too late but I was gonna suggest making the door do both functions. If you were to fabricate hinges that can be used when needed like with rebar and make the door in two pieces that bolt together in the middle. That way when you need it to be a dump truck you keep the middle section bolted and take the side hinges out. Then if you need it to be a delivery truck you put the rebar thru the side hinges, unbolt the middle and remove the top rebar hinge and you have a delivery truck.
I think your design now looks good and I was just typing out loud but it was just a though all be it a little late.

walker-talker
11-01-2004, 08:40 AM
When I built a leaf box last year, I didn't hinge the door panel. I attached it to the box with hasps. That way when I went to dump the leaves, I just pulled the door right off and set it to the side. I put three hasps down each sided and secured them with a bolt through the middle. Never had a problem with bowing, etc. Worked great.Not a bad idea, but my debris is loaded from the front of the truck and pushed back against the doors. There is some serious pressure against the back.

Mowed, I did consider that also. I thought I would try doing it this way first....If I want to modify it, no big deal. I could also convert the big door to two different doors in a day or two.

Thanks for the input!