PDA

View Full Version : Business Name

rookie03
10-13-2004, 07:48 PM
I've been checking out the Secretary Of State site and have found that the names listed are under:

General Business
Fictitious Registration
Limited Liability Company

My question would be, what exactly are the differences in the way someone registers their name? Whether it be Gen Bus, Fictitious, or LLC; What are the benefits or pros/cons to each individual registration.

Thanks!

tonygreek
10-13-2004, 08:08 PM
rookie, i'm assuming what you are looking at is a name you would like to use and it appears under those headings?

i don't know what they would mean by "general business.

a fictitious registration is a DBA, or "doing business as", which is typical of sole proprietorship.

the LLC filing is a business structure that would have first dibs of sorts with relation to 100% ownership of the name as the entity is truly named and known as "Whatever Company, LLC". any company filing (C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC) would fall under this.

there is more slack with fictitious names, although infringing on someone is still an issue. if you want to try to register a corporation with a name that's deemed too generic for any form of tradename protection, then a fictitious name is the filing you want. in this case, you would register your name as "Bob Smith Company" Doing Business As (DBA) "The Lawn Company". this would allow you to attach that name to checking accounts, etc.

if you want, pm me your state link and what name you are trying and i'll see if i can be of help.

Tony,
Dayton, Ohio

Team Gopher
10-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi rookie03,

What are the benefits or pros/cons to each individual registration.

Here is a helpful post.

DBA vs LLC (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=59397)