PDA

View Full Version : Scag vs. Walker

kemmer
10-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Whats the difference b/w the Walker mower and the scag turf runner mower?
THere is a Turf runner for sale near me. It has been serviced and fully maintained. It has Electric start and is powered by a new 22hp kohler command motor. Its in good condition. It has 921 hrs of use.
What ya think?

Duramax99
10-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Turf runners sound like the flight life chopper. They suck thats why Scag stop making them and came out with the cougar which is junk compared to the walker.

Just my 2 cents

Brianj
10-13-2004, 10:25 PM
the walker is by far the better mower. there is is no comparison to the qaulity of cut with the walker.i bought a walker this summer and it has done great

Sam-Ohio
10-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Sure "they suck" - that's what a vacuum mow is all about !!!

The Scag turf runners work just fine. Mows, and controls so much like a Walker , its hard to tell them apart.

The Scag has [I think] one convenient advantage - it can switch from bagging to side discharge with the flip of a lever. No need to buy a second mower deck and haul it around, and spend time switching back and forth as you must with a Walker.

I'm not knocking Walker here at all. They mow beautifully, but they don't mow or work much different from the Scag Turf Runner.

Don't forget that the Scag Turf Runner is at least 6 years old, maybe older - I think that is about when the last of that model was made, and I'm not sure I would want to depend on a unit that old to use in my business.

Duramax99
10-14-2004, 07:17 AM
If the scag turf runner is such a good mower then why did scag stop making it. You can tell them both apart since the walker is yellow and the scag is orange. The diesel walker is the best machine that money can buy. We run 10 only a daily basis. no trouble what so ever. Only when the guys break something :)

Shady Brook
10-14-2004, 07:50 AM
I don't know about the walker's mechanical concerns, but I do know from the experience of some associates, and my experience as well that the Turf Runner is the biggest piece of trash I have ever run accross as a "commercial" mower. I was told by multiple mechanics, and a Scag dealer that they were "f&*$ing garbage", and the dealer told me he never would have sold me one, which he did not, a salesman did.

They are a servicing nightmare, which includes hard to reach xerk points, gear boxes that need filled because they all leak...the experience of associates as well. The blades are stabilized by 2 10 mm bolts that shear off if you hit much of anything, like a mole hole. Then your blades will not engage anymore, just float around without spinning.

I could go on and on, but like was said before they quickly stopped making them in favor of the Couger which I hear is a better machine, but still far from a good machine.

Six years old is pretty risky with any mower, let alone this one. Oh yeah, and a mechanic told me that their is no machine worse to work on. What does that spell... big repair costs.

Think long and hard before you buy a Scag Turf Runner.
Jay

mrgreeninc
10-17-2004, 06:14 PM
I have 2 walkers and a turf runner. The turf runner quality of cut is up to par with the walkers but it is a maintenance nightmare. The only thing is does better than a walker is bag wet grass, then it can't be beat. For the right price it would be ok, but not very much.

NNJLandman
10-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Walkers are my favorite machine, they stripe awesome, they cut awesome, they really leave a lawn looking great when its done. Yes it is true when the grass is wet the do have a tendency to clog up but otherwise its a wonderful machine.

Jeff

CathyLynn
10-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Yes a WALKER has a tendency to clog up somewhat in wet grass! Of course--are we really supposed to be mowing wet grass?? If you have the EFI unit or the diesle, the extra power helps cut down on clogging!

Scag is a super company and I think they did well realizing that the Cougar was going to be a loser and let it die! We all make mistakes! All teh other companies have tried imitating the WALKER--all have failed miserably!