PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Commercial Property by Square Footage

The LawnSmith
10-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I have been mowing a lot of residential properties by estimating the hours involved, and am satisfied with my bidding so far. I want to bid on a commercial property that has several thousand square feet of grass. (An old Walmart Property with a large island in the center and large strips along each side). I have a measuring wheel, but don't know what the standard rate is for square footage on commercial properties. Fertilizer applications may follow, which is another reason for the square footage bid. Could some of you smart people give me an idea. I'm not trying to be a lowballer on this project, but this will be my second commercial bid, and the other one was small and I made my bid by what I figured would be a good hourly rate.

Help!!

Mike in Alabama

"The LawnSmith"

LwnmwrMan22
10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Break each "turf" area into a smaller area, bid it all like you were going to bid each area as a seperate yard, then knock off 5% of the total because you don't have drive time to each "yard".

Forget about the sq ft deal for now, until you are able to get the fert bid.

bushtrimmer
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
It really depends on how big and how wide open the property is.
Got a place as low as $2.75 / 1000 for fert and $1.20 / 1000 for mowing

tiedeman
10-13-2004, 09:52 PM
if you are talking about using a square foot for mowing, I have never found one that worked great or even good. There are just too many factors; location of business, drive time, size of area, hills, valleys, ditches, trees, landscaping beds, where cars are parked at, etc. Just too many factors in my opinion.

Envy Lawn Service
10-13-2004, 09:56 PM
I price all mine by the square footage. It's just very simple for me. Once I measure the property I can bid each and every possible task from those measurements.

Most of my mowing accounts start out at $2 per 1000, as a high square footage discount and go on up from there as the square footage comes down.

But when I bid a job I have one monetary rate per thousand for mowing and another for trimming, edging and blowing, as the last 3 go hand in hand to some extent.