PDA

View Full Version : Mower and Rain

MowforMoney
10-13-2004, 09:36 PM
I usually do not mow at all in the rain. It is suppose to rain here the rest of the week, and it rained today. I was wondering if mowing in the rain is hard on your mower. I know that it has to work harder in wet grass, but that is not exactly what I mean. I was wondering on the parts getting rained on. Is it hard on the engine at all or doesn't really matter. I didn't think it would affect it to badly but was unsure.

chimmygew
10-13-2004, 09:54 PM
I have done it on many occasions, but only light rain. Any thing heavy and my stuff stays in the garage.

bushtrimmer
10-13-2004, 09:58 PM
We got about the same rain as Indy today. My guys cut most of the day, only came in because they were ahead for the week. Nothing on the mowers will get hurt cutting in the rain. Just be careful not to rut up the yard in a soft spot. And the yard might take a little blowing of clumped grass in yard since it's wet.

tiedeman
10-13-2004, 10:01 PM
if there is a light mist, then yes I mow. It really depends on the property and what you think the outcome of the work will be. Is the property thick, thin, needs to be bagged, mulched, etc. It just depends.

Greenservice
10-14-2004, 06:33 AM
I don't think that water getting into a mower is ever good for it. It can always get in someplace where it can cause rust and probably in the long run shorten the life of the machine. Having said that though, I do work in light to moderate rain because it's the only way to get everything done. Here in Jersey they're calling for rain almost every day for the next seven and I'm not looking forward to mowing over all those wet leaves.

David Haggerty
10-14-2004, 07:15 AM
I've never had trouble with mowers from running them in the rain.
But I've had a lot of problems from parking them in the rain. Like from leaving them on the trailer over night. If you can't store them inside, at least cover them.
If they're running in the rain the heat drives off the moisture. But if they're stored wet the moisture collects in the magnito and in the gas tank giving you problems.

Dave

Tvov
10-14-2004, 07:49 AM
I've never had trouble with mowers from running them in the rain.
But I've had a lot of problems from parking them in the rain. Like from leaving them on the trailer over night. If you can't store them inside, at least cover them.
If they're running in the rain the heat drives off the moisture. But if they're stored wet the moisture collects in the magnito and in the gas tank giving you problems.

Dave

Agree.

As said earlier, we will mow in light rain, but when it really comes down it becomes ridiculous after awhile. Plus, all of the belt drive mowers stop working after the belts become soaked, so you are down to only the hydros.

Jusmowin
10-14-2004, 08:26 AM
If I showed up on a customers lawn while it was raining and started to mow I would get FIRED in a heartbeat.

rkbrown
10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I mow in light rain. It rained lightly most of the day yesterday then started coming down harder after I was done for the day. It rained all night. Not going out today due to the soft ground.

Gravely_Man
10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
It all depends on how long it is going to rain, what I think the outcome of mowing will look like and how far behind I get. People in the rainy Northwest mow in the rain all the time.

Gravely_Man

new-man
10-14-2004, 03:46 PM
on this sight I heard that the electronics on the kohler efi's where on the bottom, so i wouldnt use them when it it mowing

Greenservice
10-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I've had customers question me about mowing in the rain but no one has ever come close to firing me over it. They are always concerned, but when you explain that it's necessary, they let you be. If you can show them that you can make it look good even when it's cut wet, they'll accept it.

proenterprises
10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
many times, mowing in the rain is the only way that things are ever going to get done. rain had really never stopped me from working, unless its an all day downpour. its not really "bad" for your machines to work in the rain. when your done for the day, just hose them off and park them inside, not out on the trailer.

Branchland
10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I'll mow in the rain if I have to. Haven't noticed any damage yet. Not on the mower anyway.

new-man
10-15-2004, 07:18 PM
anybody hear that also

25nbl
10-15-2004, 07:48 PM
I have mowed in the rain plenty of times. As long as it hasn't rained all day for a few days, I keep going, especially on St.Augustine because it usually doesn't matter on that since it is so thick. Never had a problem in 8 years and have never taken a day off because of rain. The important thing is to run all of your equipment at the end of the day to make sure all of the water and moisture is out of it!!

Flex-Deck
10-15-2004, 07:55 PM
People at the coffee shop in the morning always wonder if I can mow when it is raining - my response is " If you have a John Deere and double Gators you can mow anytime."

stevesmowing
10-15-2004, 10:21 PM
it had rained yesterday and today and is sposed to rain until who knows when, at least through sunday, so I choose to mow yesterday and today so I would be done for the week. Just be prepared to spend more time at each property. If they are really long I would wait until it dries out.

HOOLIE
10-15-2004, 11:49 PM
it had rained yesterday and today and is sposed to rain until who knows when, at least through sunday, so I choose to mow yesterday and today so I would be done for the week. Just be prepared to spend more time at each property. If they are really long I would wait until it dries out.

I think the weathermen are feeding us a bunch of s***. Down here in DC, forecast for Thursday was for rain. No rain, sun out by 9am, beautiful day. Friday, supposed to be HEAVY rain, most of the day. Mostly cloudy, one brief thundershower around 5pm. So don't worry, it'll be nice up there.

Shadetree Ltd
10-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Where do I begin. We cut in the rain all the time. In the pacific northwest it is part of life. I cannot believe some of the guys that do not cut in the rain, I would not be in business one season if rain dictated my schedule. I am sure the Washington and Oregon guys will relate with me. The equipment gets a little messy and that is it. Make sure the gas cans aren't open or exposed to any possible water contamination and you are good to go. Sharp blades and a little extra time is all you need.

new-man,

I have a 28 hp EFI kohler and cut a couple of weeks ago on the wettest September day in history for our area. We received 4" of rain. It was so wet that there were big rooster tails coming off the lazer tires and I had zero problems. The EFI was great. My dealer said the only issue with them is not to pressure wash anywhere near the computer as the forced water may cause problems. He has never had any problems with one in wet weather.

shepoutside
10-16-2004, 12:16 AM
If I showed up on a customers lawn while it was raining and started to mow I would get FIRED in a heartbeat.

In my area, if I DIDN'T show up in the rain, I'd be fired. :realmad:

apolooza
10-16-2004, 01:12 AM
In Seattle we only stop in a downpour. My 12 year old deck is still going strong. I have never had a problem with any engine, 2 or 4 stroke. In my area we bag most of our grass, so it just takes a little longer and we have to blow and disperse some clumps. If we don't bag the longer grass can come out in longer clumps and blowing is required. The customers here understand that we must cut when it rain or when it is wet. Some foggy mornings the grass is wetter than when it is raining - the water stays on the grass in droplets, and we usually blow it off first to dry it out. The most important thing about working in the rain is Gore-Tex.