PDA

View Full Version : When did you realize???

tiedeman
10-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Ok, I know that everybody has said that they base their hourly rate on their numbers; indirect, direct costs, overhead, etc.

But I want to know (if you can remember) when did you realize that your rate, either hourly or bidding the whole project, was too low and you needed to raise it?

I can remember when I realized it. It was when I was shoveling snow off from a roof after a good week of snow storms. As I stood their, sweating my buttocks off and my back screaming with pain thinking to myself as I almost fall off the roof, that I am doing this too cheap and I need to charge more.

So please share....

Acute Cut
10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
I would have to say that really only comes up when problems arise. Nothing like taking a chunk of dog poo to the face to get ya thinking. Rocks through windows, Pea gravel into car, Mole hills galore (That they wont pay to remove), Nails into tires from some weekend project they forgot to pick up after, picking up kids toys for the gagillionth time, and last but not least is the picky customers. The ones that come out EVERY week to make sure that you are going to do it Exactly such and such a way. Just like we have for the last three years i ask every week. Seems like a long list right? If you cant guess i plan on raising my rates this spring. Some will be SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

Runner
10-14-2004, 11:28 AM
I realize it every day. Every single day.

stizostedion_vitreum
10-14-2004, 12:16 PM
LOL, I only realize it when it's me doing the labor vs. my crew doing it. Yep, it seems like every job causes some additional reality.....however, usually when that job is done then it seems ok...

have I underbid any jobs...absolutely --- have I learned....definitely

tj

Gravely_Man
10-14-2004, 12:33 PM
This is one of the many fun things that you truly only learn when you are doing something that make you hate life. Almost falling off the roof, dog poop on the face or my personal favorite sweating to death removing poison ivy which I am highly allergic to is when we all have the thought I am giving away my time.

Gravely_Man