PDA

View Full Version : grass seed

wanabe
10-13-2004, 11:44 PM
I am getting ready to re seed and need some input. I want to plant fine blade fescue, but I do not want a mix if you know what I mean. I am looking for something that will handle the heat, stay dark green(with fert), and have a nice even stand, no clumps. What do you suggest? I am totally starting over, not overseeding. Thanks

bushtrimmer
10-13-2004, 11:57 PM
I want to plant fine blade fescue, but I do not want a mix if you know what I mean. I am looking for something that will handle the heat, stay dark green(with fert), and have a nice even stand, no clumps. What do you suggest? I am totally starting over, not overseeding. Thanks

No, I don't know what u mean, can u explain? A blend of fine blade fescues will be the most tolerant of different conditions. You probably even want a blend with a little bluegrass in it as a filler. It will still look nice and even, most would not notice a difference in the types of grasses.

Soupy
10-14-2004, 12:39 AM
I am getting ready to re seed and need some input. I want to plant fine blade fescue, but I do not want a mix if you know what I mean. I am looking for something that will handle the heat, stay dark green(with fert), and have a nice even stand, no clumps. What do you suggest? I am totally starting over, not overseeding. Thanks

Hi Wanabe. I'm located in Belleville Il. Maybe I can help you a little. Is you lawn mostly shade or sun?

When you say you don't want a mixture of seed. You mean you don't want different species of seed, such as Rye grass, fescue, and blue grass. A mixture of seed is the best combination for areas with diverse characteristics. This seed mixture is best for turf with wear and shade areas.

A blend for example, could contain three varieties with different degrees of disease resistance, geographic adaptation, drought tolerance and endophyte enhancement. With complementary characteristics, seed may be broadcast over a broader range of uses, climates and soil conditions.

The main thing for you to let us know is what different characteristics does you lawn have. The best thing for you to do is seek a professional in your county. Is there a Lesco in your area? Lesco would be a good place to start. You could explain exactly what you want and they will recommend something. They will also give you step by step instructions on how to plant it and maintain it.

What is the High and low temperatures were you are at?

More info please.....

muddstopper
10-14-2004, 12:51 AM
I agree with everyone else. You might like a blend of seed better than just one seed type. You can purchase blends that contain different kinds of fescues without the ryes and bluegrasses if you just want one type of grass. The National Turf evaluation Program, www.ntep.org ,rates different seeds for different areas of the country. They have several testing facilities spread out all over the country. They rate grass on color, texture, heat tolerances, cold tolerances, and several other catargories.

impactlandscaping
10-14-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree with these guys, too. It is much better to get a blended mix of one type of seed than trying to grow a stand of a single seed type. It takes a lot of time and $$ to grow a single seed over a large lawn area, such as bluegrass or chewings fescue. As the others have said, a blended mix will offer many different characteristics of one type of seed, giving you better coverage and establishment. Use a good starter fert. like 10-18-10 too.

tiedeman
10-14-2004, 04:34 PM
I want to make sure everybody knows the difference between a blend, and a mix

A blend is taking several grass types of the same species and combining together, while a mix is taking several grass types of different species and combining together

Soupy
10-14-2004, 05:45 PM
I want to make sure everybody knows the difference between a blend, and a mix

A blend is taking several grass types of the same species and combining together, while a mix is taking several grass types of different species and combining together

I went back and read my post, It should have said A blend can contain more then one variety of the same species .

A blend for example, could contain three varieties with different degrees of disease resistance, geographic adaptation, drought tolerance and endophyte enhancement. With complementary characteristics, seed may be broadcast over a broader range of uses, climates and soil conditions.

locutus
10-14-2004, 06:19 PM
The problem with a lot of blends is that seed companies like to hide a poor performing variety of seed that they may be overstocked on within the blend. You may or may not notice the difference because the inferior seed may be a smaller percentage of the mix. When a seed company offers a stand alone variety of seed i.e. Pennington Plantation or Scotts Heat and drought ( Dynasty Tall Fescue), you can bet that it is a proven winner within the region/zone its recommended for.