PDA

View Full Version : Looking at new ZTR's

jgtxusa
10-14-2004, 12:29 AM
I am looking at new 52" ZTR's and have been interested in the scag tiger and will be demo-ing a ferris 3000 61" tommorrow. I would like all the feedback I can get on your favorite ZTR's and why. Also, are the tires on the 52" too small and therefore leave too big of a footprint as compared to the 24-12-12 tires offered with most 61". I am not out of the 61" market yet. Maybe some help on deck size also. Really appreciate your help.

Travis Followell
10-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Well it depends on how much work you do. A 61" may be too big for some of the properties that you do. Also if you can use the 61" and don't mind the extra cost then i would say go ahead and get it. Let us know how the demo turns out. I would be interested to know what you think of the Ferris after the demo?

jgtxusa
10-14-2004, 11:22 PM
I demoed the ferris is3000 61" with the kaw 25hp today and really liked it a lot. I am still used to using the Walker 48" so it is a change. I like the mid mount ztr's a lot more for what I do. My foreman and I mowed around 80,000 sq ft with it today, some hills, some flat at 3" and it cut great. The deck is a little thinner than the scag, but seems to be fine. The rotating scalp wheel are very nice also. It does not have rear scalp wheels though. The 61 is a nice machine. Still curious if a 52 maybe better for me. I would like more info on the deck strength of the ferris vs. scag. The weight is fairly close to the same on both units also. The suspension really makes the mowing go much faster. we mowed on block that took around 1 hour 20 minutes on a walker with a 62" and mowed it today with the ferris in around 35 minutes. The speed is almost double from what I can tell in the straightaways and you do not have to slow down for bumps in the ferris.

Sam-Ohio
10-15-2004, 02:22 AM
The smaller 52 inch machines generally weigh less than the larger 61 inch machines, so the narrower tires really don't mark the ground much differently. The key is pounds per square inch of pressure on the soil, and the ratio is roughly equal between these machines.

You mentioned the Scag Tiger in your post - which one is that ? The Scag TURF Tiger is the larger model, that is likely to have the 61" mower and 24-12x12 tires. The Scag Tiger CUB is the smaller version that weighs less, has a 48" or 52" mower and 23-10.50x12 tires. The point is they are both called TIGER - so which one are you asking about ?

I have found that in almost any brand of Z mower , the largest models all have a longer wheel base, and this is what gives them a much more comfortable ride.

If you get an opportunity to demo the bigger Scag Turf Tiger, you will notice that it has a much better ride than the smaller , SHORTER, Tiger Cub.

Travis Followell
10-15-2004, 07:56 AM
The difference in the Scag decks and Ferris decks is Ferris uses 2- 10 guage plates on top of the deck with 7 guage side skirts. The scag hasa tri-plate design that uses 3 layers of steel that make it nearly a 1/2 inch thick with an adjustable baffle for different cutting conditions. In my opinion both the ferris and Scag are great mowers.

GRT
10-15-2004, 08:02 AM
IMHO, I wouldn't get a ZTR unless it was a 60" or larger. I don't believe that the extra gain in speed makes up the price difference on a 48" or 52". At that level, you are just buying it for the comfort factor. More expensive to fix, also.

I used to be on the fence like you - basically, I wanted the speed and comfort of the ZTR, but I wanted the flexibility of the smaller deck. When I actually did the math. I found that to make it really cost effective, the 60 was the way to go.

DLCS
10-15-2004, 08:44 AM
IMHO, I wouldn't get a ZTR unless it was a 60" or larger. I don't believe that the extra gain in speed makes up the price difference on a 48" or 52". At that level, you are just buying it for the comfort factor. More expensive to fix, also.

I used to be on the fence like you - basically, I wanted the speed and comfort of the ZTR, but I wanted the flexibility of the smaller deck. When I actually did the math. I found that to make it really cost effective, the 60 was the way to go.

I agree. Go with the 60" ztr, I can put one almost anywhere that i could put that 48" or 52". Also, I have found that if you are mowing slopes or ditches that you wouldn't want to go with less than a 60" since you get more stability with a larger ztr.

clc2003
10-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I also agree with the 60" deck. I wanted to by a 52" exmark but found a used 60 in the want ads. Now that I have a 60, that is what I will always have. You will be almost as flexible as a 52 yet gain productivity.

jgtxusa
10-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all the help. I was leaning a little more towards the 61" Ferris anyhow, but this helps a lot. I figure my guys can use the 36" wb on anything the 61" cant get to anyway. We really like the larger machine with the 4 wheel independent suspension also. The ferris seems to run on the hills much better than the scag did. As much as I like our scag walk behinds, I will probably go ahead and purchase this is3000z 61" 25 kawasaki. Thanks again for all the help. This was my first thread and it helped a lot. If any of you know the man who keeps up the site, tell him the young west Tx kid says thanks.