PDA

View Full Version : which engine to choose Liquid cooled or diesel

Jozgators
10-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Looking at getting gravely 260 dealer has two Diesel for under 10,000 or liquid cooled for under 9,000. This is my full time job and looking to get a partner next year and double acct. I currently have over 30 ranging 1 acre plus to quarter acre. Also looking at John Deere 757, and Toro . Thanks for any information. I currently have a 2003 hustler mini z 52 inch. It is always in the shop. Right side hydro and hydro motor has gone out twice since I bought it.

Meg-Mo
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Take a look at the BAD BOY. They have both diesel and liquid cooled.

Precision
10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
I have a PM 260 kohler air cool. I really like the machine, great cut and rarely bogs down unless I am asking way to much.

If you want to take a few hours and try my machine in the real world, let me know and you can ride with me one day. Personally if I was going to go the extra money for LC I would bite the bullet and go Diesel. Just be ready to still have a great engine when the deck, frame and everything else has died.

Travis Followell
10-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Spend the extra money and get the diesel engine. it is well worth it. if you take good care of the mower it should last as long as the engine. I have heard of people with grasshopper mowers with 8,000 hours on them and are still operating fine without any major problems. Whats interesting is the 3 cylinder caterpillar diesel that ferris, Hustler, and Bad Boy are using is only designed to run 6,000 hours until a major overhaul. The point that I am trying to make is the mower itself will lastas long if not longer than the engine.

Flex-Deck
10-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Go Diesel and do not look back - I have a 332 JD tractor with 5000 hrs on it and both the tractor and engine are like new. They do not owe me a dime.

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-14-2004, 08:19 PM
I am with the other guys!

I have a JD (Diesel) and Exmark (Gas) and Kubota (Gas) riders. All great machines!

Get the diesel....Fuel savings will be re-couped in a couple of years (Easy)!

I use the diesel wherever I can....More Power and better fuel economy!

Good Luck!

Sam-Ohio
10-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I think the Gravely machines give you the biggest bang for the buck that you can find today.

A 27 hp diesel engine, and all the other standard features they equip the machine with for $9900 ! , makes it one of the best values in the market.

The 27 hp diesel will opperate on about 20% to 25% less gallons per hour of fuel than the 27 hp gasoline engine will use. It also produces a great deal more torque than the gas engine can make. This extra torque is what will allow you to mow heavy, or thick grasses at a higher speed than the gas engine will be able to do. I would guess that the diesel will opperate at 50 cents to 75 cents less per hour than the 27 hp gas engine - depending on the relative cost per gallon of the two fuels. It is impossible to know what the cost of fuel will be next week, so who knows what next year may bring, but I'll bet it's not going down any ! The higher fuel costs go - the faster the diesel will pay for itself.

Jozgators
10-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for everybodies input, when I left the dealer I was about 90 % I would get the diesel. But after doing more homework that is doing searches on lawnsite. I was starting to sway more to the Liquid cooled , but did find some neg about the kaw liquid engine. Only downside to the diesel is the enigine will outlast the mower, so why spend more money. My thinking is because it has more torque and our grass grows very quickly (St. Augustine) I would benefit from the diesel.

Precision I may have to take you up on that deal. I have read many of your posts and know the 260 has done well for you. Question do you mulch or side discharge?

Envy Lawn Service
10-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Only downside to the diesel is the enigine will outlast the mower, so why spend more money. My thinking is because it has more torque and our grass grows very quickly (St. Augustine) I would benefit from the diesel.

Yup, more working power, an engine that likes working and getting hot, less maintneance headaches, and you are likely to save the purchase price back in fuel savings... less consumption per hour and off road diesel use...

Precision
10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
jozgators,

I discharge. Mulching is a waste of time on most of my accts. I have been looking into getting an OCDC for some areas that have beds on both sides.

Especially in the St augustine, I find that the clippings are gone from view within an hour anyway and mulching slows you down about 15% and forget about it in overgrowth.

PM me and we can set up sometime for you to test run my machine.