PDA

View Full Version : Too late to Core Aerate?

LCME
10-14-2004, 02:40 PM
I passed out flyers a month ago regarding Core Aeration and Overseeding. And, now a few customers would like to know is it too late to core aerate & overseed?. I told them no and I can do this weekend. But, what do you think?.

bobbygedd
10-14-2004, 02:46 PM
do it. tell them they will see the results in spring. after coreing, hit it with 25-5-10, at 8 lbs per k. in april when the lawn is thick, green, and growing 2" a day, they will think you are a genius

LCME
10-14-2004, 03:16 PM
they will think you are a genius

Bob, I'm not a LCO genius. But, I did stay overnight in a holiday express reading LawnSite! :laugh: Thanks for the info, LCME

GarPA
10-14-2004, 04:18 PM
I dont know much about your climate up there but you cant be much colder than us right now here in PA. In theory, the books tell us that aeration causes stress to the grass plant and that we should not do it much past mid October so it has a chance to recover b4 cold temps set in but I've done them as late as end of October and the turf recovered nicely. Of course you dont want the seed germinating anyway this late in the season and given your climate will get cold soon. As BG said just tell them the seed will come up in spring(at least some of it)

rodfather
10-14-2004, 04:43 PM
My only concern this late in the year (and being in Michigan) would be what type of seed are you planning to broadcast, ie, sun or shade mix. Shade mix will predominately have a greater percentage of fescue vs what you find in a full sun mix. Fescue takes longer to germinate. Get my drift?

If you or your customers are expecting instant results (like in 5 days or so), you might be disappointed. Otherwise if it's ok until the spring that you see results, knock yourself out this weekend and do it.

walker-talker
10-14-2004, 05:24 PM
I try to quit one month before the first expected frost date...which is tomorrow. I might do a few more next week, but no longer than that.

jajwrigh
10-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Its never too late to aerate!!

Runner
10-14-2004, 07:38 PM
8 lbs. per k!!! What in the world? If that is quick release, you will have WAY too much growth going into dormancy. I'm sorry, but I just have to disagree, here. It DEFinitely doesn't need that much right now, nor should it have that much. I DO agree with going about 1 1/2 times the rate in spring, AFTER it starts coming out of dormancy on it's own, but that is with a 50% scu. (Actually, we use 24-5-11, and/or 24-0-12). Growing 2 inches a day is certainly not what we are trying to achieve. What I do is grow grass super thick and dense, but still have a slow to moderate topgrowth. If you want a recipe, let me know. You can PM me. I'm not far from you. I can show you properties around town that we do that other services don't even come CLOSE to for density and health. I am glad to help.

bobbygedd
10-14-2004, 08:22 PM
runner, 25-5-10, applied at 8 lbs per k, only delivers 2 lbs of nitrogen per k! that's too much? i think not. if i need 4-5 lbs of nitrogen per k,per season, and 80% of that needs to go down in fall, i need DOUBLE WHAT I STATED. look, fact is, i'm sure i couldn't hold a candle to your ass when it comes to this, but the courses i take, through the d.e.p, taught me this. do you think this is wrong? excess nitrogen, without the other factors needed to grow grass (temps, etc) will not "force the grass out of dormancy", but rather the nitrogen will be stored for spring use. this is my understanding. applying 80% of the total nitrogen very late in the season has also helped me to avoid fungus on these properties that are prone to fungus and disease. how many lbs lbs of nitrogen are you using a season? i know rain/drought/irrigation will cause you to change/alter the program, but on average, how many lbs, and when are they applied?

Runner
10-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Our first aps are heavier than usual, about 1 1/2 times the rate. If we are using 24-5-11, it's 50% scu, so it's only getting around 3/4 lb. per m, BUT it's getting an additional 3/4 lb. after that. By the time the other 5 aps. are done, we end up at around 5-6 lbs. total. As far as the 2 lbs. of N in one dose, yes,.. that's too much, unless it's a real slow release like a Novex form or something. It is especially alot right before it is going into dormancy, because it can cause a late flush of growth which can lead to snow mold among other problems. Your thought on giving it N right before dormancy IS the right idea, though! This will help a green-up in the spring - on it's own, as opposed to how alot of other co.'s do it and "zap" it out of dormancy by hitting it with a quick release in early spring - one of the worse things you can do for it. If done right, it can be done in the fall and you can STILL have the first green lawns on the block. Just as grasses start coming out of dormancy, we go in and cut (or tell the customers who cut their own or have them cut) to cut it down low one time. The grass then just explodes out of the ground, and wa-la, we have the greenest yards on the block. One of the REALLY most important factors is the storing of the potassium. Again, you're right on with the higher potassium rates (I thing you were right around 10). This encourages good vascular health in hardening off which helps the dormancy comeback, AND certainly improves the root stimulation both now, and again in the spring. I hope this helps.

LCME
10-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Finished those aerations a week ago. Did 6 accounts at a rate of $60 up to 5K. Then, each additional 1K was $10. Worked out great. Took me all day morning to night. Focusing on leaf removals now.

Gravely_Man
10-21-2004, 03:30 PM
I donít like to do any more now that we have had our first frost. It will work but the customer will not see the results they are expecting. I would try and manage those expectations and go from there.

Gravely_Man

Lawn-Scapes
10-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I don't think there will be much benefit at this point and time in MI. Is the grass still actively growing.. I don't think so? Try and get to it a little sooner next year.

mtdman
10-21-2004, 09:37 PM
I did my last aeration yesterday. The grass is still growing here, probably more this week now that we've gotten some rain last weekend. I was talking to the True Green guy who was aerating a neighbor down the street and he told me they were aerating straight through the end of the month.

:D

MOW ED
10-22-2004, 07:28 AM
do it. tell them they will see the results in spring. after coreing, hit it with 25-5-10, at 8 lbs per k. in april when the lawn is thick, green, and growing 2" a day, they will think you are a genius

That may in fact be true as most lost sheep get this type of N bomb thru TG/CL and their watery urea flowing counterparts. They make more money than all of us so he may be on to something.

lawnguyland
10-22-2004, 07:31 AM
I'll be aerating until about 10/25, but we're in zone 7 here and the grass is still growing well. Plus I like to wait until the ground is nice and soft like it is now. Hooray for little to no weedwacking for the next few weeks too!

grasswhacker
10-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Do any of you aerate in the spring? I have found this to be a great time after winter to open up the ground and allow water, oxygen and nutrients to feed the root systems. After I complete the aerations in spring the lawns absolutely pop and look great.

walker-talker
10-22-2004, 08:13 AM
I get most of my request for aerations in the spring.

Mark McC
10-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Regarding the nitrogen discussion (I'll admit up front I'm no expert in this area), I'd be inclined to make sure that the nitrogen was largely insoluble.

On the subject of managing expectations...again, I'm no expert, but at this point in the year (in northern VA, anyway), I'd rather take the work in the spring than do it now and have someone hacked off at me if the weather should take a sudden turn for the frigid.

khutch
10-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I like to do two aerations per year, now and in spring for cool season grasses, and after green-up and then again late July for the bermuda lawnz.....

alpine692003
10-23-2004, 09:42 PM
This week will be my last week of aeration, then I just hit it up with 10-3-30 fertilizer and lightly mist the lawn so the fertilizer works immediately..

jajwrigh
10-23-2004, 09:48 PM
runner, 25-5-10, applied at 8 lbs per k, only delivers 2 lbs of nitrogen per k! that's too much? i think not. if i need 4-5 lbs of nitrogen per k,per season, and 80% of that needs to go down in fall, i need DOUBLE WHAT I STATED. look, fact is, i'm sure i couldn't hold a candle to your ass when it comes to this, but the courses i take, through the d.e.p, taught me this. do you think this is wrong? excess nitrogen, without the other factors needed to grow grass (temps, etc) will not "force the grass out of dormancy", but rather the nitrogen will be stored for spring use. this is my understanding. applying 80% of the total nitrogen very late in the season has also helped me to avoid fungus on these properties that are prone to fungus and disease.

Bobby couldn't be more correct here....I agree man!

gogetter
10-24-2004, 01:03 AM
I was just looking at an ad in the paper today. "$25 off aeration (includes seeding and fertilizer) offer good until 11/15" !!!.

So if the offer's good up until 11/15, I wonder how late he's actually performing them then???

I thought I had read before (probably on here somewhere) that the seed can sit dormant until spring. Is this accurate? If so, then there would be nothing wrong with what this guy is doing. But if not, then this guy's ripping people???.

Any grass seed/turf experts wanna chime in?