PDA

View Full Version : My home made $30. Leaf Plow

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:30 PM
I am not complete but would like comments on it's progress. If any one wants to copy i can give measurements. I made this to work with the JRCO universal mount so it's removable. I was really going to pay $350 for a Leaf plow till I saw it in person....

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Trying to get the pics to load with out having to click on the link......

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:34 PM
I guess you can load one pic to view with out having to click the link...

Notice in the above pic i had to cut the angle to allow clearance for the caster..

Hear I used a few 2x4's to hold up the 1x6

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Sorry bout the beer in the last pic.... :)

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Looking in the back ground,...... can you tell i have kids?

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Last pic I used 2x4's again to hold up the 1x6. Gotta love working solo huh?

2x4's are off and now ready to mount the 2'x4' plywood (plow)

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Here she is all screwed in.

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Back view.....

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Side view..

I am not finished yet. I will be making sides maybe in a V-shape simular to the JRCO leaf plow. I also want to put anti scalp casters on this and i need to figure out some type of rake or tine set-up for the bottom. I have a feeling the casters are going to be the mosy exspensive part of this project. Right now I left about 5" of clearance from the bottom for this plow to the ground. I can also add to the height if i want to, to make it higher.

Hope you guys like and any suggestions please feel free to post them.
Thanks for looking.

LB Landscaping
10-14-2004, 07:57 PM
I tried that route last year and didn't have much luck, lasted about 2 days, yours looks a little tougher than mine though. Its cool that you mounted it on the JRCO mount. Are you going to build sides.

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah I'll be making sides for it. How did you make yours? My biggest concern with sturdiness was hitting a bump or mound near one of the sides of the plow and putting too much pressure on the mount so I used some decent wood (2x10) for the mount.

LB Landscaping
10-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Thats what happened to mine, hit a couple rocks and a few bumps and she was toast. I only used 2X4's yours will probably hold up alot better. Sides are definatly important. I also used a rubber strip along the bottom (about 3 inches) to help grab a little.

Fareway Lawncare
10-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Here's mine...don't need sides...just use it to push piles on tarp...works great...piles tend to stay together when they're big...& guys on Walk Blowers & Backpacks clean up loose stuff...

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25538&stc=1

mkroher
10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
maybe you could put a few holes in the plywood so you can see? hehe

KathysLGC
10-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Holes wont help once leaves start getting pushed.

cantoo
10-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Maybe consider hinges on the top so you can flip the whole thing up to get it out of the way. The 2x8 or whatever on the bottom would still hold the plywood stiff. You also don't need the 2x10 that mount to the jrco that low they will cut the turf on low spots. I think stiff rubber on the bottom would work better and not ruin the turf when it rubs like the wood would. (hehe)

drsogr
10-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Doesn't look too aerodynamic to me?! You are really going to cut down on your gas mileage! I like the rubber idea along the bottom.

gogetter
10-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I certainly wish you luck with it, but I personally would just buy one (JRCO).
Your thread title was "$30 leaf plow". But you're not done and once you factor in the REAL total cost and total time planning, running around buying parts, and assembling, it would be easer to just buy one.

Plus, you can always sell the JRCO at some point when you don't need or want it anymore.

But again, I wish you luck, and maybe post some pics of it in action this fall!

launboy
10-14-2004, 10:36 PM
here is an idea take a piece of plastic, the same size of one of those 2x4's or similiar. next cut out little triangles along the bottom length of the plastic, point up.
so now you have a piece of plastic with seraded points that will "rake" along the ground.
this is sort of how it would be upside down
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the part that goes along the grass
______________________ this is the top which its the best way to get the point across

green_man
10-15-2004, 07:57 AM
try taking one of your green barrels that's ready to be retired, cutting the bottom out and then cutting it open down one side. you can attach it to your machine any number of ways - mounted lip side down it makes a very servicable leaf plow. plus you get good use out of something you would otherwise be throwing out.

crawdad
10-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I built one a couple years ago. About a hundred bucks, including mounting bracket. Tines on the bottom, it flips up out of the way from the operator's position, and is easy to mount/dismount. Got some pics somewhere around here. I'll be using it soon, if I can't find the old pics, I'll take a couple more.
You're right, the casters are the most expensive parts.
Crawdad

KathysLGC
10-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Maybe consider hinges on the top so you can flip the whole thing up to get it out of the way. The 2x8 or whatever on the bottom would still hold the plywood stiff. You also don't need the 2x10 that mount to the jrco that low they will cut the turf on low spots. I think stiff rubber on the bottom would work better and not ruin the turf when it rubs like the wood would. (hehe)

I was thinking of a hinge set up so it go go with the bumps...

The 2x10's are to give clearance from the plow to the casters.

KathysLGC
10-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Doesn't look too aerodynamic to me?! You are really going to cut down on your gas mileage! I like the rubber idea along the bottom.
Why would it need to be aerodynamic? If your referring to when I am in transit and the mower/plow is on my truck or trailer, thats why I made it removable. 4 cleaves pins and it's off/on. My main priority was getting it built. The next priority will be to make it more efficient. I am sorta beta testing this and will fix any issue I see happen.

KathysLGC
10-15-2004, 09:11 AM
I certainly wish you luck with it, but I personally would just buy one (JRCO).
Your thread title was "$30 leaf plow". But you're not done and once you factor in the REAL total cost and total time planning, running around buying parts, and assembling, it would be easer to just buy one.

Plus, you can always sell the JRCO at some point when you don't need or want it anymore.

But again, I wish you luck, and maybe post some pics of it in action this fall!

I was very close to buying the JrCo plow. I just ordered the Accelerator catcher in stead of the plow. I think when every thing is all said and done I will be under $100. depending on the casters. I was even thinking of making a plow on top of my JrCo De thatcher. That way i have the tines on the bottom and the casters already mounted... I'm trying to make an inexpensive leaf plow and share the blue print with every one. Kind of like the way we share our stripe kit blue prints here.

KathysLGC
10-15-2004, 09:22 AM
here is an idea take a piece of plastic, the same size of one of those 2x4's or similiar. next cut out little triangles along the bottom length of the plastic, point up.
so now you have a piece of plastic with seraded points that will "rake" along the ground.
this is sort of how it would be upside down
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the part that goes along the grass
______________________ this is the top which its the best way to get the point across

I had a similar idea while i was getting wood i was looking at Lattice and thought of that same thing. I don't think it will have enough give in it tho and it might tear up the turf.

Gravely_Man
10-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Looks like it just might work. Please keep us updated on how it works and show some pictures of it in action.

Gravely_Man

Remsen1
10-15-2004, 01:28 PM
It looks like it should work. You may want to build in a little adjustability cause it is going to sink down a little in grass. I would put some cross supports on the back of the 2x10's, then it will be sturdier than a brick s__t h___e! Also how about making it a box plow so the leaves don't roll of the sides?