PDA

View Full Version : how many still cutting?

qualitylandscaping
10-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering how many more weeks you northern guys plan to keep mowing? Turf growth around here is really starting to slow down and contracted visits are running out at the end of next week ( My contracts are for 28 visits, and next week will be the last route run).

Some local guys have already called it quits for the year, while others are planning to run until early-mid november..

I'm thinking next week may be my last, but I guess it always depends on the weather.

stevesmowing
10-14-2004, 09:29 PM
This week will be my last weekly cuts for some. I will continue to mow until at least the end of October. Some are still growing like crazy because they fertilize and will remain at once a week, others will be pushed back to bi-weekly.

LB Landscaping
10-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Grass is still growing here, it has slowed down a bit but keeps coming up. I'll take it, the leaves have a way to go before they fall.

pjslawncare/landscap
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Still going here, but its hit & miss

green with envy
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
if they have irrigation they are still growing strong!! if not it leaf time!!!

MIke

qualitylandscaping
10-14-2004, 09:34 PM
The big problem I'm having is leaves are about 75% down. Only a few maples, and all of the oaks still have their leaves. The grass still needs to be cut, but I'm basically giving away my expensive cleanup for free when I mow :dizzy: and now no one wants to sign up for a cleanup since I'm already doing it (even though I'm not)..

stevesmowing
10-14-2004, 09:37 PM
do you normally bag? or just discharge? If you discharge there should still be leaves left. If you bag you might want tell you customers you are done mowing and will start cleanups maybe 2 or 3 times and tell them part of the cleanup is a mowing and charge for a cleanup rate.

Green Care
10-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Mowed a little today 1more week and that's it.

jpp
10-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Took this week off. Has been dry here for three weeks. Got a little rain on last night. Calling for more rain on Friday. Leaves are starting to come pretty quick now. Will go to the end of November to get final cleanups done.

qualitylandscaping
10-14-2004, 09:46 PM
do you normally bag? or just discharge? If you discharge there should still be leaves left. If you bag you might want tell you customers you are done mowing and will start cleanups maybe 2 or 3 times and tell them part of the cleanup is a mowing and charge for a cleanup rate.

I normally discharge but I'm running Gators and they pretty much chew up all of the leaves to nothing, so there isn't much left to "cleanup"..

stevesmowing
10-14-2004, 09:48 PM
why not switch back to normal lifts?

stevesmowing
10-14-2004, 09:50 PM
why not put on standard lifts for a week or 2?

Lawn-Scapes
10-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Green Care.. Only one more? What part of Maryland? My lawns are still growing like crazy. :dizzy:

I believe I will be cutting well into November.

Gilla Gorilla
10-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Tom, im on the other side of the river and it looks like I will be well into November before most lawns stop growing for the season.

Andyinchville2
10-14-2004, 10:19 PM
We mow until end of November (we do take off for the Thanksgiving holiday though)....
Andrew

cantoo
10-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Come on guys, lots of people here have been saying for months that they can't tell the difference between a bagged or mulched lawn so of course if you are still cutting regular cuts the leaves will be mulched just as well and the customer won't pay for the leaves. Or not? Cusomers who paused when we gave them a leave price last year are already at biweekly cuts now so they will be a little keener this year for leaf cleanup.
This is another reason why we try not to use the Walker much during the summer and early fall, people assume that it's so easy to collect the leaves while we cut the grass that it shouldn't be a problem. We have people who call and ask if we can cut using that funny looking yellow mower that collects the grass? Sure at a premium we will.

GreenMonster
10-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Hopefully next week is it. Still be some leaves to pick up after that, and a few more hardscapes.

all ferris
10-14-2004, 10:48 PM
I mow till we get a couple hard freezes. Usually till about mid November then it time to put on the beer gut :drinkup: .

oneandonlyjojo
10-14-2004, 10:54 PM
grass it still growing on long island atleast 3-4 more weks

BrianK10
10-14-2004, 10:59 PM
First week of November is when I plan to wrap everything up. The grass is still growing here, its just the unfertilized properties that are slowing up a bit.

Brian

LwnmwrMan22
10-14-2004, 11:09 PM
I normally discharge but I'm running Gators and they pretty much chew up all of the leaves to nothing, so there isn't much left to "cleanup"..

If there's nothing left to clean up, then what are you complaining about?

Seems to me that you're going to have to get rid of the gators and make a mess if you want to charge to clean-up.

lqmustang
10-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Generally stop cutting around the first week of November or so. Should be about that again this year, although I've skipped a bunch this week due to slow growth, probably because it's been so dry for the last 3 weeks. Leaves will take me to about Thanksgiving, then it's time to pray for snow.

1MajorTom
10-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Grass is definitely slowing down here in PA where we are located.

Albemarle Lawn
10-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Now leaves are starting to fall, plus fert, seed, aeration, renovations.

Can not keep up, with too much rain, going Nucking Futs trying to stay on schedule with these short days.

KB :dizzy:

Liberty Lawncare
10-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Good advice

Mico Landscaping design
10-15-2004, 12:57 AM
We are still cutting 90% of them... most of them are watered every day fertilized and all the good stuff.. been a few we skipped for 3 weeks customer request that is.... but its been a good year.. we are ganna be doing leave in bout 3 weeks.. could do them now but be back in 3 weeks to do them again.. just got new gator blades in for the leaves... never tryed them before...... getting ready for winter next :angel: :drinkup:

jt5019
10-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Still cutting almost 100% here, next week i will most likely skip a few that have really slowed down.I checked my schedule from last year and i was still mowing a couple into November will see what happens.

tiedeman
10-15-2004, 01:20 AM
I have mowed before until the 3rd week in November up here. But probably only 2 to 3 more weeks here and that will be it

impactlandscaping
10-15-2004, 01:25 AM
I am with Albemarle.. we are still crazy here, and will be for weeks. New ads and YP ads hit this weekend, so we'll see how far into December we can get. As far as mowing is concerned, last year we mowed into the first week of December..this year, maybe- if we are lucky, but at least into mid November. grass is still growing with vigor here, esp. the fert. treated lawns..plenty of leaves and renovations ahead. Then a nice two and a half month vacation in my La-Z-boy in front of the bigscreen :drinkup:

j&c
10-15-2004, 01:37 AM
We will mow till the 15th 20th Nov then it usually drops off(most of my contracts end then)
we will still get the one timer calls for clean up, with thanksgiving coming we are just about booked solid with cleanups before the holiday. Haven't had time to do my own yard maybe sat I'll trim up my own.
hope everyone did as much as they wanted or needed to do

GrassBustersLawn
10-15-2004, 01:47 AM
STEVE

YOu need to add a GATOR surcharge!

REALLY!

I do.

You paid for those blades to provide an extra service for your customer, so you need to pass that cost along to them. I charge 50% above regular mowing rate to mulch the leaves. It takes us some extra time (as you know) over a regular mowing & the customer gets the BENEFIT of having the leaves "disappear".

In my monthly newsletter that the customer gets along with their bill, I advise their options for leaf handling.....1) I buy special blades (gators) that mulch leaves into fine particles for 50% surcharge to their weekly rate OR 2) Pay me $45 per man hour PLUS dump fees to haul them off. GUESS WHAT? Almost ALL of them choose #1. I get more $ and less hassles! Try it and see if it works for you next season!!!

Mike

Acute Cut
10-15-2004, 03:36 AM
We mow up till the day before Thanksgiving. (barring snow of course) Our grass is still growing 2-4 inches a week around here. That is no fert, just mulching. Seems faster to mulch intially, but when it grabs hold you cant hardly keep up. lol. I am looking forward to the end of the season as i am going to Cancun For a couple of weeks first thing in Dec. I will miss the checks though that are not year round customers.

walker-talker
10-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Here in KS it's slowing way down. Irrigated lawns are still weekly...all others are bi-weekly or even tri-weekly. A few have cancelled all together. On average, I am usually done mowing by halloween. I will take one week off for the GIE than start on leaves.

RICHIE K
10-15-2004, 07:06 AM
ONE MORE WEEK HERE, BUT ITS HIT OR MISS. STARTING LEAVES NOW.
HOWEVER, WE GIVE ONE FINIAL CUT BEFORE THANKSGIVING IF MOTHER NATURE LETS US. THEN IT'S SNOW TIME.

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

TURF DOCTOR
10-15-2004, 09:30 AM
I cut all commercial accounts till the snow fills the air, my residential get 2 to 3 weeks cuts an trims.Had 2 call this week an told me to hold up a week.

BMFD92
10-15-2004, 09:46 AM
I am still mowing but starting next week everyone goes biweekly aexcept for my commercial account which is still growing good. The leaves are really starting to come down and I made plenty of money aerating. I just can't wait until it all ends and I can add up all my profits and then hopefully get my Walker : :cool2: .

BufalinoLand
10-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Down in the big Boro, we have 1 or 2 cuts left. I just got a little wonder truck loader and am toying around with it right now waiting for the leaves to really come down. No one wants me to clean them up till theyre all off the trees. Wait till it snows and i cant. Oh well. A buddy of mine got into the blown insulation biz this spring and its about to take off. No plowing for me.

Acute Cut
10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
man, i am kinda jealous of you plow guys. You get to chill in your truck and drive all day bull dozing snow. Maybe i am an idiot (i also admit i dont know much about plowing).

WigginsLandscaping
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Well I still haven't closed any of my accounts out this year. Frequencies have definately changed on Residentials but commercials are still being done weekly. Grass has slowed down here big time. But just had a bunch of rain so i hoping that we will get a small growth spirt to get me through a few more weeks or so. But I expect many of my residentials will want me to stop this week or next. But leaves are falling and hoping to stay busy with those and tree work, and landscaping. We'll see.

jcb287
10-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Grass is really starting to slow down here also.Skipped a few last week.Couple more weeks and we will be done.Then it's leave time. :rolleyes:

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 11:14 AM
We will cut at least until the end of Oct. and some houses in Nov. here and there.

Greenservice
10-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Leaves are starting to come down heavy here in Jersey. I skipped 2 or 3 this week, but the grass is stilll growing pretty fast. We had our first frost last week. Probably mow another week or two here.

Gravely_Man
10-15-2004, 11:35 AM
The leaves are starting to turn color but not many are falling yet. I am still mowilng all of my accounts.

Gravely_Man

Up North
10-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I thought I'd be done here in northern MN this week, but due to Jury Duty and a one customer that wants to hold off on two of his properties till next week. So next week will be it, supposed to snow today...we'll see.

Buck

HighGrass
10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
This week will be my last weekly cuts for some. I will continue to mow until at least the end of October. Some are still growing like crazy because they fertilize and will remain at once a week, others will be pushed back to bi-weekly.

Ditto here in MA. I will work until about the end of the month and then maybe once or twice for November and then that's it.

Albemarle Lawn
12-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Will do our last cut next week.

Garden Panzer
12-10-2004, 02:07 AM
I cut every 2-3 weeks now, I think we'll mow the month of FEB. this year... El NINO
:)

LwnmwrMan22
12-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Here in MN, I think Monday I'm going to go do a clean-up and bush trim on a Wal-Mart on Monday.

I shut down 5 weeks ago, but there's no snow again, we've only received 1.6" of snow total so far this year.

Figure I might as well head back out and do some more work.

AEW
12-11-2004, 06:32 PM
I shut down 5 weeks ago, but there's no snow again, we've only received 1.6" of snow total so far this year.

Geez...Here in Tennessee we are lucky to get that much snow all year long. I wish we could get more sometimes...

tx_angler
12-11-2004, 07:17 PM
I cut two today and have two more on Monday. That will be the end of it till the spring for us.

thill
12-12-2004, 12:59 AM
This is a pretty old thread, but recently revived. Cool.

We are in Central Texas and will mow right through the winter months. The frequency is one or two per month on most properties but the commercial accounts with annual rye grass overseeding stay on a weekly mow.

Yup, it gets kinda chilly on quite a few of the days, but we keep about 65% of our summer crew going all year long.

No chance to learn anything about snow plowing and I don't mind that a bit.

Tom

HOOLIE
12-12-2004, 01:04 AM
I figured I was all done with the grass by now, but just today a customer called looking for a final cut. Probably can't get to it until Wed. Forecast hi temp for Wed is 39. Hopefully I can get another lawn or two to make it more worthwhile.

arborist-28
12-12-2004, 01:25 AM
digging out of the snow we got 10" today ...

shortgut
12-12-2004, 01:31 AM
well I thought that we were finished for 2004 but we had 70 degree temp this week grass still green and growing not going to be much of a space inbetween stop and starting this season we going to Germany the end of Jan 2005 and we are figuring on about 3 weeks after we get back .Till we start geting calls last year when we got back in March we had messages on answering machine want their yard mowed really think sometime people do not listen to what you tell them or read what you send them Any way Hope all of you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!