PDA

View Full Version : av gas in mower

s and s mowing
10-14-2004, 08:27 PM
anybody ever hear of running avaiton gas in a mower,was at dealer yesterday and he told me the local airport brought there ztr in for service and it has been run on av gas only,he said pipe was clean as he had ever seen and engine had several hundred hours on it and was in great shape.thinking of trying a few gallon in my exmark kohler,what ya think?

Flex-Deck
10-14-2004, 08:41 PM
av gas can be a bit dry - mighty high octane - probably 100 or better. I think you are better off with premium -about 92 octane. I have read or heard you do not want ethanol in small engines, and that may or may not be true, so I just use amoco premium. Just my opinion. Thanks, Brad

DGI
10-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Expensive and unnecessary!

Maximum efficiency is achieved by running the lowest octane possible. Octane is only a measurement of resistance to detonation

Metro Lawn
10-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Stay away from the AV gas. They must have been running low grade because the good stuff is about 130 octane, enough to melt your engine down

cantoo
10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
You might want to get the pricing of av fuel first.

DennisF
10-14-2004, 10:49 PM
AV gas will cause air cooled engines to run hotter. Heat destroys moving parts quickly. Enough said.

Albemarle Lawn
10-14-2004, 10:56 PM
You don't need it your compression is low enough to run 87.

geogunn
10-14-2004, 11:36 PM
not that I personally care, but AV fuel is not legal to use for non AV purposes.

GEO

all degree
10-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Wrong Geo. (and this is the business i am in) Its sold in many markets at the pump along with regular grades for the consumer. Most popular use is jet ski's and high performance boats.

The comments about mowers are right on. AV gas is not good for small engines and will make them run extremely hot. Anything higher than 87 in a mower and you are just wasting money.

Hizoot
10-15-2004, 12:30 AM
I dont know where some of you guys are getting your information. I run Vp C-12 in my KTM dirtbike and have been using some form of race gas in my bikes for 30+years. Race gas does not make your engine run hotter..as a matter of fact, the flashpoint of race gas is much lower than regular/ supreme unleaded. It burns cooler...which is why it will not make as much power or be as efficient ( quicker to burn, but not as hot burning) as regular unleaded in a low compression engine. Its advantage is for high compression engines that need cooler burning fuel and a low flashpoint to avoid detonation. Run the lowest octane your engine will survive and not detonate on. Anything more is a waste.
There are more than a couple of grades of av gas as well. But all have modifiers , additives, and stabilizers for high altitude (icing) conditions. I have never run avgas, know some guys that have and I've heard totally different opinions on it. This might be due to the different formulas of avgas , engine compression, etc.

fixer67
10-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Wrong Geo. (and this is the business i am in) Its sold in many markets at the pump along with regular grades for the consumer. Most popular use is jet ski's and high performance boats.

The comments about mowers are right on. AV gas is not good for small engines and will make them run extremely hot. Anything higher than 87 in a mower and you are just wasting money.

I thank Geo meant that AV gas is for non-road use only because of the road taxes on gas.I could be wrong but I thank that is what he meant to say. Jet ski's and boat are non-road use needless to say. Just like the deal with the dye being put in K-1 (non-road use only) to tell when trucker were puttting in it diesel trucks. A lawn mower would be a non-road use but I still would not use it in a lawn mower

65hoss
10-15-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't think I would run it. We ran it several years ago in some race motors. Some people have blamed it for burning holes in pistons.

huntercook33
10-15-2004, 12:39 AM
AV gas? While your at it just throw some Methanol in it.

Envy Lawn Service
10-15-2004, 12:58 AM
anybody ever hear of running avaiton gas in a mower,was at dealer yesterday and he told me the local airport brought there ztr in for service and it has been run on av gas only,he said pipe was clean as he had ever seen and engine had several hundred hours on it and was in great shape.thinking of trying a few gallon in my exmark kohler,what ya think?

I have no opinion on the AV gas but the statement in bold above surely re-kindled some good old memories... So I have to ask...

Do any of you recalled the days before unleaded gasoline? Yeah back when some coins would get you a gallon...

I can remember having some sweet running old fords with big block V-8's and the tailpipes would burn white as snow... Anyone else?

But then came unleaded gas... and black sooty tailpipes soon followed.