PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys offer to pay for the following

syzer
10-14-2004, 10:38 PM
I ran up my dealer today since I am getting back into the business. I decided to get 3 Great Dane Super Surfers and wanted to see what kind of specials they had on them. They didn't have any to my surprised. We got to talking to the manager, and he was telling us this story. A new young fellow wanted to get into this, never cut a blade of grass in his life with 0 customers. He had an elderly Vietnam vet in a walker and on oxygen backing him. He came into the place and bought 2 trailers, mowers, saws, blowers, etc. totally 35k, and two 2004 ford f350's then decided not to do it.

So, the police impounded mostly everything except the trucks and trailers which the guy has in his name. Well my dealer had two of his mowers and a nice new snowblower there they are trying to sell for him. They told me to make an offer and they will present it to him.

So here it is, I am considering buying his 61" efi 2003 GD Chariot with a 25hp Kohler efi engine. Its been sitting outside for some time, but kicked up on the first try. It has 5 hours on it.

The second is a 48" scamper with the b&s vanguard pull start with 5 or less hours.

What do you guys think is a fair offer to make on these things? This guy is like 100k in debt and just wants to move this stuff, but for some reason, its still there. They said the only offer they got was 300$ on the snow blower which is a 2k$ unit.

I wanted all surfers, but I may be able to get these at a price where I just cant refuse, then buy a 52" surfer with a Kaw engine...I really dislike Kohler!

Thanks!

Travis Followell
10-15-2004, 09:18 AM
There isn't a thing wrong with the kohler engines. We have 3 and they are excellent. I would make him a offer of $5000 for the chariot because it would cost a lot more than that if you bought one from the dealer.

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 12:13 PM
You said you were just getting back into it so even though they are not the machines you want they are good machines that are brand new and probably still have the factory warranty so I would offer them a couple thousand less then retail since its the end of the season see if he takes it save some money get a Super Surfer and all the other stuff you need with the money you saved.If he says know you can always bump your offer up a little or walk away from it and get what you wanted in the first place.

syzer
10-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys, btw, a big thing I forgot to mention, the dealer said they are not under warranty.

Travis, my gripe with Kohler goes back to when I had my original 61" Great DAne Chariot. The engine has 20 or so hours on it and the block cracked. You would not believe what we had to go through to get it fixed. We also had like 2-3 other things go wrong with it. I believe if you are as large as Kohler and your engine has a cracked block with 20 hours on it, you better replace it no questions asked.

out4now
10-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Try to get him to put a price on it and see if it works for you. First one to open his mouth loses here. You may make an offer and end up paying more than he is really willing to let them go for. If he's that far in debt the creditors may seize everything and you can get it at auction. Price check aginst e-bay and see what people are bidding for similar.

syzer
10-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks out4now, the bad thing is the dealer says I have to go through them and wont give me his number. They say its for his protection, I think it maybe is so they can line their pockets a bit. The owner comes back monday, I will talk to him and see if I can get the guys # direct. I was considering just offering 20k for the entire lots of tools. I am not sure what all is in there =), but I know its 35k worth of brand new stuff. 2 trailers, and the best of everything, at least thats what the manager and mechanic told me.

Lux Lawn
10-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Sounds like the dealer isn't being completely honest with you about something here if still interested I would check it put as much as possible before you do anything and string him along a little get him to budge on a new mow that cost that much I don't care what kind it is you need a warranty.But thats just my opinion you never know who put that mower together at the factory.

TClawn
10-16-2004, 03:05 PM
I have heard that there are problems getting parts for great dane mowers. make sure that you're going to be able to get parts in a timely manner.

syzer
10-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks Lux, yeah I think they are trying to pad the price a bit to make some money themselves. I have dealt with this dealer for years though, and they are very honest and great with equipment.

Chris, I have had GD's in the past, and have never had any problems with parts for them.

bushtrimmer
10-16-2004, 10:00 PM
someone posted about this deal about a week ago

crawdad
10-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks Lux, yeah I think they are trying to pad the price a bit to make some money themselves. I have dealt with this dealer for years though, and they are very honest and great with equipment.

Chris, I have had GD's in the past, and have never had any problems with parts for them.
Of course they re trying to make money, what are you doing?
crawdad

syzer
10-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Of course they re trying to make money, what are you doing?
crawdad

Its not that I am worried about, I would rather them tell me that they want to make $500.00 on the deal and let me deal with the guy and give them the money. Everyone makes money, I just don't like dishonesty.

Why is everyone on this board so ready to jump on everyone......this isn't how this place used to be back when I signed up. It was a bunch of LCO's helping other Loco's. All i read these days are ppl criticizing each other and talking trash.

syzer
10-17-2004, 11:45 AM
someone posted about this deal about a week ago

Really? I will have to try and find it. Thanks for the info.