PDA

View Full Version : J.D. 7-Iron Mulching

GreenMonster
10-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, not really technically "mulching", but side discharging with gators...

anyway, where are you guys getting your mulching blades for 7-iron decks?

specifically, 54".

green with envy
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
I ordered mine from Power Equipment Warehouse.
Ws not impressed with them... It took almost a month to get them and I never got any type of documetation that I had ordered them.

I do like the Gators

I believe that Lesco carries Gator blades.

Mike

Tony1045
10-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Green, I had the same problem finding the "Gator" mulching blades for my 54" 7-Irons Deck. My JD dealer said that "Gator" did not make blades for the 54" 7-Irons deck?? Long story long, John Deere owns another company called Sunbelt Outdoor Products (info from my JD dealer) and they make the "Gator" style blades for the 7-Irons deck. I purchased them for $60.00 total and they look, and cut just like the "real gators". Hope this helps. Tony

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Green, I had the same problem finding the "Gator" mulching blades for my 54" 7-Irons Deck. My JD dealer said that "Gator" did not make blades for the 54" 7-Irons deck?? Long story long, John Deere owns another company called Sunbelt Outdoor Products (info from my JD dealer) and they make the "Gator" style blades for the 7-Irons deck. I purchased them for $60.00 total and they look, and cut just like the "real gators". Hope this helps. Tony

Actually, no, it doesn't. He said sunbelt wasn't carrying them anymore :angry:

they must have mulching blades available somewhere if they sell mulching kits?!?!

DLCS
10-15-2004, 09:07 AM
they must have mulching blades available somewhere if they sell mulching kits?!?!

Yeh, JD has mulch blades but they are the wavy ones that come with the mulch kits. I tried those they suck, now I use Meg Mo blades for my mulching.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Yeh, JD has mulch blades but they are the wavy ones that come with the mulch kits. I tried those they suck, now I use Meg Mo blades for my mulching.

Why do they "suck"? Not fine enough clippings?

I knew you used Meg's, maybe that's the best route????

DLCS
10-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Mark,

I found that the JD mulch blades just don't chop up the leaves fine enough to make them disappear. Any hint of moisture on the grass or leaves, you get the clumps too. Not to mention they just slow you down so much. yes, Meg Mo was the best route to make the 7 Irons do a wonderful job at mulching.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Mark,

I found that the JD mulch blades just don't chop up the leaves fine enough to make them disappear. Any hint of moisture on the grass or leaves, you get the clumps too. Not to mention they just slow you down so much. yes, Meg Mo was the best route to make the 7 Irons do a wonderful job at mulching.

Do they chop up the grass fine enough? Did you try them as doubles? Are they a hi-lift mulcher?

While I'm at it, what's the cost for a meg-mo set-up. Obviously, I can get this info from Roy, but if you have it off the top of your head, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

DLCS
10-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Do they chop up the grass fine enough? Did you try them as doubles? Are they a hi-lift mulcher?

While I'm at it, what's the cost for a meg-mo set-up. Obviously, I can get this info from Roy, but if you have it off the top of your head, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

No, I never tried the JD mulching blade as a double setup. JD only makes one kind of mulching blade and really there isn't much lift with this blade.

Cost I think for Meg Mo's was around $210, for my 60".

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
No, I never tried the JD mulching blade as a double setup. JD only makes one kind of mulching blade and really there isn't much lift with this blade.

Cost I think for Meg Mo's was around $210, for my 60".

Thanks Mike, I guess I'll have to explore this a little more.....

topcat
10-15-2004, 12:02 PM
I use the gator style GrassHawg mulcher blades on my JD 737. I get supplies from mowmore.com. I'm currently running the JD mulch kit baffles with a double gator style mulch blade setup per spindle. Shreds the leaves up pretty good

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 12:05 PM
I use the gator style GrassHawg mulcher blades on my JD 737. I get supplies from mowmore.com. I'm currently running the JD mulch kit baffles with a double gator style mulch blade setup per spindle. Shreds the leaves up pretty good

hmmmm, that's what I'm looking for.

I'll check it out - Thanks!

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
topcat-

link to the product or a part # would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

NJDeere
10-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Deere has just started shipping a new configuration currently available on the 757 with 60" mower. It is a mulch on demand deck that features both a flip down discharge block as well as baffles that swing out to provide true mulch chambers like a true bolt on mulch kit. Looks like a really well built/designed system and may be the answer to quite a number of your needs. :blob3:

DLCS
10-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Deere has just started shipping a new configuration currently available on the 757 with 60" mower. It is a mulch on demand deck that features both a flip down discharge block as well as baffles that swing out to provide true mulch chambers like a true bolt on mulch kit. Looks like a really well built/designed system and may be the answer to quite a number of your needs. :blob3:

Where have you seen this new mulch kit? Got any pictures?

NJDeere
10-16-2004, 10:23 PM
We received our first stock unit this week. I will try to take a picture on Monday. There is a good number of these units out there at dealers now.