PDA

View Full Version : Glasses or goggles?

HighGrass
10-15-2004, 12:57 AM
This year, I always wore safety glasses but if the truth be told, I need something more. Between the dust and the dirt, I think my eyes are taking a beating.
So, I am thinking of getting some sort of google for next year. Anybody got any ideas?

gogetter
10-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Well, for full coverage there's always the old "shop" goggles like they used in school shop classes. The big plastic goggles with the elastic strap.

You won't be the coolest looking guy on the block, but I suppose if they get the job done..........
:cool:

But I can say that you'll want to make sure you use something that allows good ventilation. I've had a pair of wrap around sunglasses that would fog up on me all the time and had to stop using them. They fit too snug and contacted my face all the way around the edges of the glasses. There was no room for air flow.
Switched to another style and don't have the problem anymore.

RICHIE K
10-15-2004, 06:16 AM
KEEP SOME EYE WASH IN YOUR TRUCK. I FLUSH MY EYES OUT A FEW TIMES A DAY AND THEY FEEL GREAT. :drinkup:

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

billc
10-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Two weeks back while mowing, a strong cross-wind blew something into my eye through the side of my regular glasses. Before then, had no problem with just wearing glasses. Went to the doc and had four scratches on my eye (the white part). Got the goggles with the strap - they're comfortable and work great.

Gravely_Man
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Time for me Mr. Safety to get on my soapbox….you only get one set of eyes so do everything you can to protect them. If you need to use googles then go for it. I have a full first aid kit that I carry that does include eye flush for cleaning out you eyes. There is nothing worse then getting something stuck on you eye. I am now off of the soapbox. :cool2:

Gravely_Man

Ability
10-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Look at your local motorcycle dealerships.

Most glasses made for motorcycles are contoured better than your average pair of sunglasses. They are designed to keep the wind out of the rider's eyes to prevent watering while riding and thus blurring their vision.

They will greatly reduced dust and grass blowback from creeping around the frames of the glasses while mowing.

Avery
10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I wear wrap around safey/sunglasses. Rarely get anything in my eye. I carry a small bottle of flax seed just in case. It works better than eye wash for small debris IMO.

out4now
10-15-2004, 12:26 PM
I used to use googles becuase I wear prescription glasses and the goggles always fogged up in August especially. They aren't the most comfortable thing but I had a close call once and that was enough of a wake up call to get me to wear them.

tx_angler
10-15-2004, 12:59 PM
AOSafety (same guys that make Peltor Worktunes) make several style of stylish safety glasses and the retail for less than $10 a pair. You can get them at the HomeDepot or another hardware store. I know that Tractor Supply also carries good looking safety glasses by Stanley (I think).

Also check your auto parts supplier.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-15-2004, 01:06 PM
safetyglasses.com

Derek

HighGrass
10-15-2004, 01:08 PM
AOSafety (same guys that make Peltor Worktunes) make several style of stylish safety glasses and the retail for less than $10 a pair. You can get them at the HomeDepot or another hardware store. I know that Tractor Supply also carries good looking safety glasses by Stanley (I think).

Also check your auto parts supplier.

I know but the problem with using conventional safety glasses is that you don't get any "real" side protection or protection from dust. I can't tell you how many times I've had stuff ricochet off my cheek into my eyes.

HighGrass
10-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I think I might have this licked. Thanks for the heads up for the url link, safetyglasses.com
This looks promising.
http://www.safetyglasses.com/wiley/cgc_goggle/cgc_b.jpg

green with envy
10-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I wear wrap around style safty glasses and keep a bottle of saline solution in the truck. I may get a pair of goggles for real dusty conditions..

Mike

sprout
10-16-2004, 04:31 PM
:rolleyes: Don't laugh! Snow ski goggles work really good. My wife wears a pair all the time, she loves'em.

cleancutccl
10-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Get a pair of Oakleys M frames. The frames are guaranteed for at least a year, the lenses can get replaced if scratched, and can supposedly stop a .22 bullet. Also they wrap around your face to stop things from coming into the sides. The best part, you don't look like you're in a High School shop class.

trying 2b organic
10-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Scratched both my saftey glasses and yellow sunglesses and need new ones. Also need a way to keep them around but not ruin them. As far as sun glasses dont you find you miss spots when line trimming in shady areas? What to wear over my eyes isnt comming easy. Also last week I was tying down a backpack in the truck and the trigger depressed and shot herbicide straight into my eyes, flushed immed at customers outside tap by lying on the grass. No ill effects but good for a scare and a wake up call.

LB Landscaping
10-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Safety glasses (look like suglasses) and eye drops for the dusty days.

trying 2b organic
10-16-2004, 10:09 PM
http://www.cglasses.com/

I came across some cool goggles for those who want to go to that level of saftey. Im spending too much time on this but im now torn between saftey glasses, sun glasses and goggles.

ScCo
10-17-2004, 02:00 AM
T2BO,

there are some pretty cool goggles on that site. I may pick of a few pairs of them to keep in the trucks and in our race car trailer....between the business and dirt track racing, i'm forever and a day fighting to keep junk out of my eyes.

again, cool site.

-ScCo