PDA

View Full Version : Some good info in latest Lawn & Landscape magazine

GarPA
10-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Some good info in this latest issue. THey also have their annual "state of the industry" report by sections of the country.
If you dont get the paper copy I think you can view it online.

NickN
10-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Yes,it was good.I was amazed at how little workers are making in the southeast per hour.Something like $7.25 per hour for a mower operator,$9.00 for an experienced mower operator.Hourly rate was around $39.00 for the average company.So,two workers at $7.25 per hour would be about $20.00 per hour including taxes,workmans comp,etc.,,Then the company would be making $19.00 per hour before expenses.No wonder the owners were only making $55,000 per year.
Keep in mind though,this was a compilation of Lawn & Landscape readers.I doubt that the larger landscaping company owners take to time read it or fill out survey information.

GarPA
10-15-2004, 11:11 AM
whats NOT amazing to me is its no wonder owners in this business have a problem finding and keeping employees from year to year given the low wages ..regardless of where in the country they are located.

Its absurd that, as an industry, what we expect hard working, experienced people to work for, per hour. I know I sure as heck would never do this work at those wages and often without any benefits.

I'm a small operation but my employee wages are well above those averages.

EliteImpressions
10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Im not able to see the article
What is the average pay for workers in the northeast, specifically south jersey.

NickN
10-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Elite,I don't remember,but I do remember an hourly figure of around $41-$42 for labor.Not much higher than in the southeast.

Team Gopher
10-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi EliteImpressions,

From that article in the northeast area.

Entry Level Mower Operator $8.20 per hour
Experienced Mower Operator $10.70 per hour

Fantasy Lawns
10-15-2004, 06:29 PM
The top 100 numbers are part of the statical data ... some of those decline to answer some of the question .... thus the n/r in some of the columns .... so in other words that data reported is very accurate to our industry .... n yes they are part of that data .... they are the ones which make the average ..... scary that the average in the SE market has been in the business 9 years and make over $770K .... I'm close to the 9 years .... just not the big K $$

When Bruce Banchard of CarolKing in O town doesn't even make the list (must have 50 trucks) that took me back some

They hourly rate of $45.30 is a PER man hour rate sooo a two man crew is generating $90 of income revenue per hour .... it's a great number cruncher .... with bonus insight to the industry

So it's not a long reach to conclude that a company with 100 full time workers (average 2000 hrs per worker) with 200,000 yearly man hours should have a gross income of $9 Million .... coarse this is rough leaving out part time worker income

EliteImpressions
10-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks gopher, Good info as I was going to pay around 11-12 an hour for help if I ever needed it.

EliteImpressions
10-16-2004, 07:43 PM
NickN

The 41 an hour was sounds about right, hopefully I can start making that much if/when I ever gett better equipment. Right now Ill have to settle for about 30 -35.