PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to get up pine needles?

benabarlow
10-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Any one got some efficient ways to get rid of pine needles in and out of the grass?
Thanks,
Ben

jim dailey
10-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Any one got some efficient ways to get rid of pine needles in and out of the grass?
Thanks,
Ben

Depends...what do you have for equipment. What is the total area. You can rake them...good physical labor. You can blow them...backpack blower or walk behind blower.You can use a dethatcher, attached to a walk behind with the basket on. You can use a ZTR with a collection system. You can use a walk behind lawn vac. I am not trying to be a smarta**, but more information is needed; what the area is like and what you have for equipment. Let us know, and we can help you better...JIM.

John Gamba
10-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Meg-mo Blades and a good bagger.

John

benabarlow
10-15-2004, 04:42 PM
my equipment is a 2004 hustler 27 horse with bac vac system. i also have dethatcher and redmax 7000 blower 8hp blower as well. Raking is the last thing i want to do. its way to costly to rake. I think just vac and blowing is not doing a good enough job with out raking. hope you can help. thanks
Ben

benabarlow
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
about those meg mos how easily would they warp if one of your employees scalps hard and bends the round part were blades attach. it seems it would be very $ to fix from time to time. I have gator blades now but i completely see how efficent the meg mo system could be . i'm very curious about them.
Thanks
Ben

jim dailey
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
about those meg mos how easily would they warp if one of your employees scalps hard and bends the round part were blades attach. it seems it would be very $ to fix from time to time. I have gator blades now but i completely see how efficent the meg mo system could be . i'm very curious about them.
Thanks
Ben
Living in MA., I realize that Vermont is the "Pine Tree State." I am NOT familiar with the Meg-Mow System...but, what is meant by "bending the round part where blades attach?" Are you referring to the spindle? They are somewhat expensive to replace/repair. Cheaper if you do it yourself. Have you tried the ZTR w/dethatcher in fron and collection system in back. Go over it several times if you have to. Charge accordingly...JIM.

benabarlow
10-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks jim
Yes the spindles. can you get a front dethatcher for hustler 60inch ztr. i have the bac vac for the ztr.

jim dailey
10-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks jim
Yes the spindles. can you get a front dethatcher for hustler 60inch ztr. i have the bac vac for the ztr.

The spindles:ask at your dealer or look them up online. Is the machine still under warranty? Go to the JRCO site on line for the info about the dethatcher. I have a 48" JRCO dethatcher, and it works great. Helper uses it on 48" w/b, with me following on the Stander. We go one way, the 90 degrees to that on the way back. Works wonders. If I have to, the powered dethatcher is waiting in the wings. If you applied lime (pelletized) afterwards, to neutralize the acidity in the lawn from the pine needles, it helps a lot in the upcoming season. Chec the PH of the soil, first...JIM.

DLCS
10-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Meg-mo Blades and a good bagger.

John

Most definately!

out4now
10-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Use a match :p Just kidding. Depends on the amount of needles. We had a huge pine tree in our back yard growing up and the fastest way to get them up was to just mow over em. All the little pine cones though didn't always make that possible. Didn't like hitting those. Sometimes we'd rake them up. At work we had the same type of trees and would usually just mow over them with the JD and vacuum them up.

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
my equipment is a 2004 hustler 27 horse with bac vac system.
Ben

That should suck those suckers right up.

Up North
10-15-2004, 05:51 PM
We have a ton of pines here in northern MN and when I started out this spring I sucked them up with a John Deere L120 w/bagger & hi-lift blades. All that remained was grass & bare ground. If little JD can pick them I'm sure your Hustler will suck them up in no time with that vac system. Kind of wish I'd kept my JD just for the purpose of picking up leaves & needles.

Buck

bluemoon
10-15-2004, 07:17 PM
walker mower with tine dethatcher set-up. Make a couple of passes and they are gone.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Living in MA., I realize that Vermont is the "Pine Tree State." I am NOT familiar with the Meg-Mow System...but, what is meant by "bending the round part where blades attach?" Are you referring to the spindle? They are somewhat expensive to replace/repair. Cheaper if you do it yourself. Have you tried the ZTR w/dethatcher in fron and collection system in back. Go over it several times if you have to. Charge accordingly...JIM.

Actually Jim, here's a little geography lesson from northern neighbor: :waving:

Maine = Pine Tree State
Vermont= Green Mountain State
NH = Granite State
MA = Bay State (you prolly knew that one)
RI = Ocean State
CT = Getting to close to NY state

I'm sure there is still a boat load of pine needles in VT, though! :D

Liberty Lawncare
10-15-2004, 11:22 PM
High lift blades work good to get the needles out of the lawn. High lift means they create lots of suction. High lifts and the bagger work good.
By the round part on the meg moes you mean whare the small cutting blades attach to the round plate then that is bolted on the spindle with the real long bolt?
I looked into all the fancy blades this year they are too expencive and dont make a noticeable diffrence except my stripes look much better with high lift blades. The under side of the deack seems to stay cleaner with the high lifts also. I dont know why it stays cleaner.

macaw
10-16-2004, 07:42 AM
I use Cyclone Rake hooked to a riding mower with gator blades It takes 2 passes and it's done a very clean job. Most of my customers use them as mulch so I can dump them where they want.

The LawnSmith
10-16-2004, 08:39 AM
I mow over the pine needles with a mulch cover on if they are thick and then do a second run with the bagger. It works fairly well, and chops them fine enough to bag.

The LawnSmith
10-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Here in Alabama, the longleaf pines leave a lot of needles on the ground, and they are so long that they will clog the bagger chute. I mow first with the mulch cover on, and the second time with the bagger. It chops them fine enough to bag.

walker-talker
10-16-2004, 10:05 AM
walker mower with tine dethatcher set-up. Make a couple of passes and they are gone.
BLuemoon beat me to it.....that's exactly what I do and it works well. Like someone else said, just depends on your existing equipment.

GreenMonster
10-16-2004, 09:33 PM
works good on a grasshopper, too! :blob3:

rookiemower
10-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Meg-mos are great for bagging they create a ton of suction and suck leaves and needles great. they suck for grass (at least that is my experience) :cool:

Liberty Lawncare
10-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Actually Jim, here's a little geography lesson from northern neighbor: :waving:

Maine = Pine Tree State
Vermont= Green Mountain State
NH = Granite State
MA = Bay State (you prolly knew that one)
RI = Ocean State
CT = Getting to close to NY state

I'm sure there is still a boat load of pine needles in VT, though! :D
CT is the constitution state.

benabarlow
10-17-2004, 10:07 AM
did you try the mega mo system?

NC LawnScapes
10-17-2004, 10:21 AM
A Good Book Of Matches

socty
02-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Love those Bosox pics!!! Now we all know what the "A" in A-rod stands for!

LawnMowerBoy48
02-20-2005, 01:14 AM
dethatch then mow over and bag it a few times with highlift/gator doubles

HOMER
02-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Been my experience that gators are not the blade to use for bagging, especially pine straw.