PDA

View Full Version : Weekly leaf debris

LCME
10-15-2004, 12:09 PM
How do you handle leaf debris discharge after mowing each week. What a mess. Do you just leave the debris on the lawn?. I want the customer to come home and see the lawn debris free after I mow. But, I feel like I'm doing more work now because I'm trying to clean-up the debris after mowing each week. Not sure if I need to spend more time blowing the debris into beds/woods or just bag it up and put yard trash bags at the curb. Or, talk to the customer and find out what they want done. Then, charge accordingly?. Or, just tell the customer I'm finished mowing and if you need leaf removal I'm available for $$$. Any advise thanks, LCME

DLCS
10-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Talk to your customer.

Travis Followell
10-15-2004, 12:39 PM
I wouls say your best bet would be to talk to the customer and see what they want.

cgotro
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Again talk to the client, give them options and prices. Let them make the call on what they want to do with the leaf problem. I'm sure your mulching if you can. We have a client that has several large trees in her yard. We mulch the leaves until they start to show when we cut. from that point on we blow and rake and bag. We charge for our time and bags. Thats what we agreed to three years ago. She's happy

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Most of my customers are now getting double cuts which leaves little to no leaf debris.......I add 2/3 of their regular mowing rate for each visit......so a $30 lawn is $50 with leaves........

Others have me come every other week...then I charge double.....

Finally I will do final clean-up when all the leaves are down. Those typically range from $80 to $120 dollars.

I am running double gators on my mowers that turn the leaves to dust...

Derek

LCME
10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
If this was one of your best customers how would you handle/charge accordingly?.

I charge $30 weekly mowing. Normally takes less than 30 min. But, because of the weekly leaf falling now takes 1 hour. The lawn is divided in 3 areas. Front, middle back and along the road. Between the middle back and road is a ton of thick woods.

Along the road contains 5 oak/maple trees. But, the customer does not care about how it looks so I just mow only. So, this ones easy. Done

The middle back yard is completely surrounded by large thick woods and the lawn, small deck and patio gets trashed. This area is small and takes me 5 min to mow. Customer asked me to just blow material into the woods and this takes me an extra 10 min to do with my 7001. Done

The front is where all the neighbors can see and has a couple of large trees with lots of big leaves and I have to cut once to chop up leaves then mow the back and middle then return to the front to bag only 1-2 bushels of debris at this time. Extra work here is bagging 1-2 bushels.

So, basically the extra work is 10-15 min. more using the blower. And, 10-15 min. more to double cut and bag on the second the front only.

How would you approach customer and explain the extra work and how much would you charge. Thanks, LCME

LCME
10-15-2004, 02:23 PM
I called the customer above here. And asked him what does he want me to do about the leaves and if he wants leaf removal later. He says, no thanks stop mowing for this year. I want to save the money so I will be mowing and cleaning up the leaves myself. I say OK will write up an agreement for next year for you to sign-up. Bye. :cry:

GRT
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I called the customer above here. And asked him what does he want me to do about the leaves and if he wants leaf removal later. He says, no thanks stop mowing for this year. I want to save the money so I will be mowing and cleaning up the leaves myself. I say OK will write up an agreement for next year for you to sign-up. Bye. :cry:

You did the right thing. You can't sacrifice your work because the customer wants to save money. At least he didn't give you the runaround...I'm sorry it didn't go the way you want it to, though.

Geoff

LCME
10-15-2004, 02:37 PM
You did the right thing. You can't sacrifice your work because the customer wants to save money. At least he didn't give you the runaround...I'm sorry it didn't go the way you want it to, though.

Geoff

Thanks GRT! I'm wipin the tears away :cry: ... feel better already because I have more free time!!!!! :cool2:

Wait! this customer still owes me for last month and this month. Payments are due on the 15th. I better have a check in the box today.

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm finding more and more of my customers don't want to pay for it this year and I bet most of the leaves will still be there under the long grass in the spring.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-15-2004, 03:28 PM
I have found that the ones who don't want to pay in the fall end up paying in the Spring..... Because they never seem to get around to cleaning up the leaves themselves.......

That is what spring clean-ups are for......and they tend to cost more because the leaves are harder to clean up after the winter......

Derek

LCME
10-15-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm finding more and more of my customers don't want to pay for it this year and I bet most of the leaves will still be there under the long grass in the spring.

Yup. and I will be there to round them up at a premium price. Customer says he is taking care of the leaves and mowing for the next few weeks. But, with my equipment it still takes 1 hour just to keep clean weekly. I can not imagine using a 22" mower and a rake to clean up tons of leaves. No way. Will be getting a call in a couple weeks. :cool: