PDA

View Full Version : and now the bullcrap starts

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 01:12 PM
yup, it's that time of the yeaR. the grass is growing fast, but the leaves are falling too. so, i ask them (those that are not on our leaf schedule), "would you like leaf removal this season?" they say no. ok, we show up to cut the lawn, it's covered with leaves. here is where the trouble begins. they don't think they should pay extra "for a few leaves on the lawn", but, i timed it today, those "few leaves" took anywhere from 12-25 minutes ABOVE AND BEYOND the time it takes to cut the lawn. so, looks like this season will come to a screaching halt when i inform them, in order to continue, it will be grass fee + $75 per hour (broken down into minutes @$1.25 ea.) charged for every minute over thier usual grasscutting time.

GRT
10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I think that might be a little drastic, but I would certainly tell them politely that those customers that wish to continue their lawn cutting service without having their leaves removed will incur a surcharge of XXX due to the extra time spent to perform the job properly.

Why is it taking you 25 minutes longer? You're just cutting over the leaves, right?

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 01:43 PM
GRT, I'm again I'm kinda lost here. I have seen you post quite a few opinions and give advise on the Lawn Care Industry lately on this site, BUT your Profile say's that you are only 22 years old with 0 years of lawn care??

Your Age:
Years in business:
How did you find LawnSite.com?:
Friend

GRT
10-15-2004, 01:46 PM
I like to throw people off :)

GRT
10-15-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm 29 with plenty of experience. Someone else signed me up...I've never really looked at my profile to be honest...

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 01:51 PM
no, i'm not running right over them, i'm not gonna leave the place looking like sh!t.

GRT
10-15-2004, 01:52 PM
then your charges are completely warranted...

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 01:56 PM
no, i'm not running right over them, i'm not gonna leave the place looking like sh!t.

I don't understand what's going on here. These are folks that aren't paying for leaf removal, but you're not just "running them over".

What are you doing with them? Bobby G most certainly can't be moving leaves for FREE! :dizzy:

Are you doing contracts Bobby? I'll guess 30 cuts a year down there? Why not state it like this in your contract:

25 cuts @ $30
5 cuts @ $42 (for leaf removal)

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
yes i am doing contracts, they read as folllows: '"grass cutting will end oct. 31st, or when the leaves begin to fall, whichever comes first. after this, we will be happy to provide leaf removal for you, which will be charged accordingly." this is the first week for us that leaves are a problem. until now, they hadn't fallen. damn right they will all be surcharged for this weeks visit.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 02:04 PM
yes i am doing contracts, they read as folllows: '"grass cutting will end oct. 31st, or when the leaves begin to fall, whichever comes first. after this, we will be happy to provide leaf removal for you, which will be charged accordingly." this is the first week for us that leaves are a problem. until now, they hadn't fallen. damn right they will all be surcharged for this weeks visit.

so, you're saying they know from signing the contract, that they will be charged extra for the leaves, but they are still gonna *****?

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm 29 with plenty of experience. Someone else signed me up...I've never really looked at my profile to be honest...

Oh, okay. :drinkup:

chevyman1
10-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I find it very hard to believe you say any of this to your customers. I think you "internet muscles" are much bigger than what actually goes on; otherwise you'd be broke

GRT
10-15-2004, 02:09 PM
If there were leaves on the ground, and they don't want your leaf service, you shouldn't cut their lawn. You say in your contract that mowing ends Oct. 31st or when leaves fall...so how is it responsible to cut and then tack on surcharges for something they didn't ask for without their consent?

GRT
10-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Oh, okay. :drinkup:

Thanks for pointing that out MM!

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 02:11 PM
I find it very hard to believe you say any of this to your customers. I think you "internet muscles" are much bigger than what actually goes on; otherwise you'd be broke

Bobby,

I'd like to introduce you to my good friend, Chevyman! :waving:

I think I'll just sit back now and watch the fireworks! :blob3:

mbricker
10-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Come on, Bobby. Get some!

jim dailey
10-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Bobby,

I'd like to introduce you to my good friend, Chevyman! :waving:

I think I'll just sit back now and watch the fireworks! :blob3:

Chevyman, I don't think you have a hair on your ***, unless you follow this one thru. I think I will be sitting in the bleachers, just watching this one. Have fun, fellas.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Chevyman, I don't think you have a hair on your ***, unless you follow this one thru. I think I will be sitting in the bleachers, just watching this one. Have fun, fellas.

it's taking Bobby a while. I bet he's doing his research. Stay tuned. :sleeping:

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 02:28 PM
chevyman, you are very, very wrong. this past week, i cancelled 2 customers because they were 10 days late on thier bills. they were like, "huh, i don't understand..." i put it simply to them, " you are not in compliance with my companies policy, and our written agreement, period. pay what's owed or i'll have you in court." one guy said, "i've never been treated this way by a lawn service." i don't play bullsh!t games like most of you. policy is policy . green monster, pay attention. they consider 12-25 min worth of work " just a few little leaves", i consider it worth 15-35 bucks more.

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 02:46 PM
I ask my customers in advance do you want me to do your leaves for you if they do then great if not if there not done the day before I get there then I will not do them untill they ask.

I love when they say but can't you just add that in for me at the regular price? Do you call the cable company and order a Pay Per View and ask for that free as well.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
green monster, pay attention. they consider 12-25 min worth of work " just a few little leaves", i consider it worth 15-35 bucks more.

Amen, preacherman!

I agree. you give everyone an extra 12-25 minutes a week, for 4-5 weeks, it's adding up by the time turkey comes around. Plus, it's gonna kill your schedule. You want your week to be 30-40% longer than it usually is, with no compensation for it?!?!

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Hey a little extra per stop for leaves a day adds up to a whole lot extra at the end of the month.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 03:23 PM
chevyman, you are very, very wrong. this past week, i cancelled 2 customers because they were 10 days late on thier bills. they were like, "huh, i don't understand..." i put it simply to them, " you are not in compliance with my companies policy, and our written agreement, period. pay what's owed or i'll have you in court." one guy said, "i've never been treated this way by a lawn service." i don't play bullsh!t games like most of you. policy is policy . green monster, pay attention. they consider 12-25 min worth of work " just a few little leaves", i consider it worth 15-35 bucks more.

I gotta tell ya, Bobby... I'm a little disappointed. I expected a better show :(

I guess you're in a good mood today.

olderthandirt
10-15-2004, 03:29 PM
reloading, taking aim, slowly squeezing the trigger

Mac

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 03:30 PM
reloading, taking aim, slowly squeezing the trigger

Mac

let's hope so :cool:

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 03:34 PM
GreenMonster
I thought that was your buddy. :dizzy:

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 03:37 PM
GreenMonster
I thought that was your buddy. :dizzy:

yeah, we go way back.

chevyman1
10-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Bobby, I find it very hard to believe you act this tough with all of your customers. You have policies and I respect and understand that, but you can't just treat people like garbage either. Someday you are going to p*ss off the wrong person, and your reputation will be ruined. I'm a corporate sales manager, so before you gang up on me and preach customer relations, think twice

chevyman1
10-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Greenmonster and I are good friends. You should mind your own business. We disagree on some things, but this is a professional forum so we thank you in advance not to start trouble

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm a corporate sales manager,

Huh? So you are only a part-timer and you are bidding all of those commerical jobs you listed on the forum?

chevyman1
10-15-2004, 04:08 PM
that's correct. Just did 3 big commercial and 30-35 homes this year part time...going full time next year, so bidding and ramping up to properly make the jump right now. Just signed another restuarant today, that's makes 3 commercial wins in a week

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
i don't mistreat customers, i follow my policies, the ones that were agreed upon by us both, and i insist they follow them too. terminating thier service , is not "treating them like sh!t", it's part of running a business. i don't act "tough" , but i don't act like a p*ssy either. i tell them like it is. they can percieve it any way they like. if thier perception is that i'm acting rude, tough, out of line, whatever, that's fine. i do what i need to do. i told one, "our labor rate is $75 per hour for a 2 man crew. we can't work for anything less." she said, "i don't like your cocky attitude." i said, "whatever, it is what it is." you see, because i was able to look her dead in the eye, not blush, and speak my piece, she percieved this as "being cocky". i could give a crap how she percieved it. ok, so what does a "corporate sales manager " do, i mean, besides shake like a leaf when your boss asks to see you in his office? specifically, what do you do?

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 04:11 PM
3 commercial wins in a week huh? you must like working for minimum wage. if u r winning bids that fast, you are cheap, cheap, cheap

chevyman1
10-15-2004, 04:14 PM
yep you have all the answers booby, it shows by yelling and mistreating a customer instead of selling and negotiating. I wish you were up here, there would be a lot of open accounts who hated their previous guy by the sounds of it. You have a good thing going, why act like that. Remember you are ALWAYS in sales mode. Acting like you do will catch up with you soon dude. Not cheap either, I know my cost of business like you know yours. Difference is I know how to keep it and sell it as a person, not an angry know it all

chevyman1
10-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Time to go, have a big dinner party tonight with friends, have a good weekend

jim dailey
10-15-2004, 04:16 PM
3 commercial wins in a week huh? you must like working for minimum wage. if u r winning bids that fast, you are cheap, cheap, cheap

I,m all alone, way up here in the "nose-bleed section". Maybe I should move down closer to the "Boxing" seats, to get a closer view of this one. OR, am I just causing trouble here?

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 04:17 PM
yea, he's got a date with governer mcgreevy.

Lux Lawn
10-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Greenmonster and I are good friends. You should mind your own business. We disagree on some things, but this is a professional forum so we thank you in advance not to start trouble

Sounds like it.

barnard
10-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah the bull crap has started allright.

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 04:25 PM
tell em barnyard

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Leaving for dinner at 4PM??? Come on..... ;)

jim dailey
10-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Booby, this one is good for AT LEAST 200-250 posts. Stir the soup, Real Good.

Remsen1
10-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Bobby, I agree with you on this as I do with most of your posts. I want to tell you not to change a thing. Occassionally I feel like I've been taken advantage of and I always end up thinking to myself, "I would've rather done nothing at all, then to get paid $5/hr for busting my azz for some complaining cheapskate."

rodfather
10-15-2004, 05:29 PM
My question is, why is a corporate sales manager mowing grass? We got a termite in the woodpile for sure...

Doster's L & L
10-15-2004, 05:31 PM
yea, he's got a date with governer mcgreevy.

ROTFLMAO!! Now that's funny sh!t! Have one on me bobby! :drinkup:
For those of you that don't watch the news or has been too busy to watch it, recently (about a month ago) Gov McGreevy has admitted to having an affair/sexual relations..... with other MEN!!! :dizzy:

Hey, no offense chevyman.... you gotta give credit where it is due! :waving:

olderthandirt
10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
I even acquired one of my accounts this year going next door right after the landscaping company left. I said "how much do they charge you per week" the wife replied "$50 and we are on a 1 year contract"...I told her next year, if they were interested I'd do it for $40, and my proof of quality is right across the street...layup my friend, absolute layup, everyone wins except the crooks...trust me, I grew up on a farm, have the machinery background...4 years of college and I have the business savvy and background, and 4 years as a corporate sales account manager, Quoted by Chevyman 1

I earn more than you now at 100k from my sales job....Not only that, but I will make more on the side doing this that you would full time. People like you are a joke....I charge $40 so I can go up over a couple years moron....enjoy mowing your mom's place with your Craftsman.... Quoted by Chevyman 1
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 07:43 PM
chevyman....did you REALLY SAY THAT? oh god. when you are done with your date with your boyfriend, we need to talk son.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 08:12 PM

;) ;) ;) ;) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Chevyman1,

I removed my signature line, at your request, as a PROFESSIONAL COURTESY.

Don't make me put it back.

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Mac,

Nice detective work -- not that it was real hard.

sorry no points. I've spread so much love today, I can't give anymore!

Sean, these points are killin' me :rolleyes:

Norm Al
10-15-2004, 08:16 PM
im suprised you didnt have this already spelled out in your contract bobby,,,,,so the customer didnt have to guess!

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 08:21 PM
it was spelled out fool. my point is simple that this time of year is a "grey area", cus the grass is still growing, but the leaves are falling.

trying 2b organic
10-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Good post, Im running into this now too and would have liked some decent suggestions. I guess its starting slow so I did the first cleanup for free and now I need to make some calls about a small surcharge for leaf cleanup and disposal esp since it looks like ill be cutting well into Nov this yr.
Also I may try harder to sign up everyone for leaf cleanup in the spring. My commercial contracts include it, im talking residential for whom I dont do contracts just a page of our policies.

bobbygedd
10-15-2004, 08:50 PM
trying2b, it's the same crap every year. they say they don't want leaf cleanup (because of the price), but they DO WANT you to continue cutting the grass. if you stop now, i garentee, you'll get this a couple days before thanksgiving, "hi, this is mr. so n so, can i get you to do one final grass cut, it's really long." you go over, it's 12" high and covered in leaves. screw em, they are lowlives, trying to get you to work for nothing. i am done "lawn mowing" most customers this week. i will, however, provide leaf cleanup if they like. at alot more than the grass cut fee

MMLawn
10-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Chevyman busted agian by MAC P.I.

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Envy Lawn Service
10-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Bobby,

If that is how your contract is worded, I don't blame you for standing by it. I sure as heck would. However, I would not cut the first blade of grass if I could foresee being slowed down by the bulk of leaves on the lawn. My "lawn service schedule" would come to a screeching halt. I would get out of the truck only to leave a note stating such.

The customer incentive would be, if they paid the leaf rates they would have the benefit of getting whatever number of cuts were remaining on the season. If not... see ya next spring.

bobbygedd
10-16-2004, 06:12 AM
i follow you envy, but it's a lose lose for me. i can't pull up to a house, and not do any work. i have employees in the truck being paid by the hour. i charge extra for this trip, one time, then send out notices that "lawn season is over, leaf season begins, take it or leave it." who do i blame for the problems like this? again, the people who have been in the business in the area for 20-30 years, the "pioneers" so to speak. they paved the way, they set a standard, that standard being, " well, i'd rather clean the leaves, for the price of a grasscut, it's better than packing it in for the season."

dishboy
10-17-2004, 01:36 PM
This is real simple stuff. Time track your lawns all summer, when leaves come down add leaf removal fee to weekly mowing fee at hourly labor rate times added time on lawn plus dump fee. I pro rate dump fees by garbage can loads I pull off. 80 cans fills my truck. All my additional time and dump fees are recaptured, I never have any complaints and in 24 years have only been questioned once to why one stop was higher than another. I showed my documentation and was payed.

Chevyman has a point about treating customers with a little grace. I can assure you that SOMEDAY soon the competition for clients will reach a level that BOOBY will wish he had not burned so many bridges. In this area that time has come.

bobbygedd
10-17-2004, 04:18 PM
what do you mean "with a little grace?" i tell them like it is. what they dislike, is that thier "servant" is able to look them square in the eye, and tell them how it's gonna be. they'd prefer someone looking at the ground, or in the other direction as they "ask if it's ok" to charge more. believe me, i know how you guys operate, i see it every day. it hasn't effected me yet, and i doubt it will for many years to come.

Fareway Lawncare
10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
why is this such a struggle for some people...

Lawns take longer to cut in the spring...longer when they're wet & longer w/leaves...I would guess most are spoiled by easy summer cuts when leaves hit...

Regardless, customers who want leaves done Weekly should be on weekly fixed price...same as cutting... until last visit when final clean-ups are performed...leaves removed from beds etc...

How Much Longer could it possibly take you to double cut w/mulch kits...there's no trimming this time of year...

if you see a few leaves & they're weekly mows...Don't Freak Out like some kid....

gramps
10-17-2004, 06:04 PM

Lawns take longer to cut in the spring...longer when they're wet & longer w/leaves...I would guess most are spoiled by easy summer cuts when leaves hit...

Regardless, customers who want leaves done Weekly should be on weekly fixed price...same as cutting... until last visit when final clean-ups are performed...leaves removed from beds etc...

How Much Longer could it possibly take you to double cut w/mulch kits...there's no trimming this time of year...

if you see a few leaves & they're weekly mows...Don't Freak Out like some kid....
Agree 100%

bobbygedd
10-17-2004, 06:07 PM
a few leaves? my ass. we are talking the difference between it taking 20 minutes, and 40 minutes, for the same price? no trimming this time of year? my lawns are growing plenty

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2004, 06:39 PM

Well, my structure detailed above, is fairly similar. IOW, a double cut w/mulch kit is 2x the mowing rate minimal, justified by 2 passes across the property, provided it doesn't take more than twice the time. But there is flexability built in for both parties. If the grass is still growing, if beds need blowing out, ect, it's adjusted accordingly via volume of work performed or time, whichever is greater. Likewise, on the early end, if it's minimal leaves that don't really slow me down, the charges will be somewhere between no extra charge and 1.5x the mowing rate, according to volume of work performed.

Fareway Lawncare
10-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Don't touch the beds until all the leaves are down...keep it at same mowing price for weekly visits.

There's No Way it should take twice as long w/Weekly Visits...Until the One Big Drop...mabe 1 week...& we Have Alot of trees...

mabe you don't have the right equipment to handle weekly leaf cuts...see guys bagging...hauling...vacuuming...cleaning beds weekly...chasing down Every Leaf...Waste of Time & Effort...Just Chew them Up w/kits & Gators.

bobbygedd
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
you are telling me, a lawn blanketed with oak leaves, that is still growing and thick, will look picture perfect with two passes of the gators, side discharged? sorry mr. fareway, you are very wrong. this is a lose lose, if i try to do it this way, the lawns will look like sh!t, and i'll get complaints. theres no logical choice, than to add a surcharge. more work = more money, period. i'm not amoung the lco misfits who will continue to clean leaves at the grasscutting rate, just so they can continue to work. grass is grass, leaves are leaves. there is no similarity.

chevyman1
10-18-2004, 08:55 AM
I am running over them 1 or 2 times are most with the gators and it gets most of them chopped right up...only at the end of the year will we charge more for the vacuuming and cleaning. Most people like having some leaves in the yard too. I think Bobby is a perfectionist though which is a good quality, and is saying that in order to make it look like it did in June, it's really time consuming. But maybe that's what his customers demand; others don't care

dishboy
10-18-2004, 08:57 AM
what do you mean "with a little grace?" i tell them like it is. what they dislike, is that thier "servant" is able to look them square in the eye, and tell them how it's gonna be. they'd prefer someone looking at the ground, or in the other direction as they "ask if it's ok" to charge more. believe me, i know how you guys operate, i see it every day. it hasn't effected me yet, and i doubt it will for many years to come.

What I mean by a little grace is a phone call asking what the problem is since you haven't been paid BEFORE you cancel service. Seems to me I remember you saying that you have been late on you scheduled mowing day a few times this season, did they all fire you? If you didn't loose a account when you failed to show as scheduled is that not a little extended GRACE your way. Grace = unmeriited favor.

bobbygedd
10-18-2004, 09:50 AM
ah, my contracts are worded such that i am not "locked in" to a specific mowing day. so wether i show up on wed, thurs, fri, or not at all (once or twice) i am still within the guidelines of our written agreement. i can be flexible on alot of things, but payment is not one of them. i make it very clear that our payment policy is strict. if i can't be paid on time, i need a phonecall. no ifs ands or butts! i'll work with you, but i can't work with you if you don't call me. and especially, if you're a brand new client, and you are late on your first payment.......this is a very bad thing, you started off on the wrong foot, bigtime. this is what i got from a brand new client a little while back: very first bill was sent, and not recieved by due date:" hi, mrs. jones, this is bob from xyz landscaping. we sent bills out on the 15th, they were due back here by the 1st, today is the fifth, we havn't recieved your payment." her:" well, i didn't get a bill." me,:" oh really, how unusual. i'll tell you what, i'll be by day after tommorow to cut the lawn(i have 3 of her neighbors), the amount is $175. i'd appreciate it if you had a check ready for me." her, :" oh, i won't be home on that day. just cut the lawn, and send another bill." me, " well, there is no need to send another bill. i'll give you the address, got a pen.......it's 1313 mockingbird lane, usa. i'm only one town over, if you drop it in the mail today, i'll have it by the day after tommorow." guess what, what a surprise, no check ever came. i call back 3 days later after skipping her, "yo, this is bob, from jackass landscaping, i need a check, TODAY, or i will see u in court. " her, "well, why is it so much?" me, "read your contract, send the check, you got 10 days or i see you in court." her, "well, you didn't cut my grass yesterday." me, " NO SH!T. YOU ARE A GENIOUS!!!! YOU NOTICED???? SEND THE CHECK!!! CLICK!!!".

LCME
10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
I send out invoices at the end of the month and are due the 15th per the contract. Well I go to my box on the16th no checks. So, I call all my customers. first one says, oh sorry but I mailed it on the 11th. Second customer, I say hi, but before I can speak he says oh sorry I did not mail the check on time I do not like to do business that way. I mailed the check today.

I do the work every week on time. Then, when it comes time to get paid on time. I have to chase some customers down. Yup, bull crap just started.

harryhomeowner
10-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Bobby,

As a homeowner, my only question is, did you clearly explain your leaf policy at the time I signed the contract or was I required to find it myself? If you pointed it out to me from the start then shame on me for not remembering.

If you didn't point it out to me I might feel a little surprised.

Either way, it is a warranted upcharge.

Fareway Lawncare
10-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Are you sure you have mowers set-up properly for maximum efficiency for Weekly Leaf Mulch ? Generally we will have only 1 week after the big drop has occured where a double mulch cut is impossible.

Here we see the Late Great Eric Elm's pic of a single pass mulch cut w/doubles & OCDC closed.

Soupy
10-18-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry but a dixie chopper will not mulch leaves productively. I know I have owned one. With blow out, you just can't get all the leaves in one pass.

I am currently using a Hustler Z with blowout kit and mulch kit. It will mulch the leaves in one pass, but because of leaves being pushed around or blown away by the deck. I have to double cut to snatch up run away leaves.

I don't charge extra for double cutting, because I double cut a lot in the spring anyway and the price reflects this already. I do charge extra when I have to blow out the beds etc. I base my charge on $1 a minute. I know how long it should take each week and inform the customer that in the month of November there will be a $xx.xx surcharge added to each cut.

bobbygedd
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Bobby,

As a homeowner, my only question is, did you clearly explain your leaf policy at the time I signed the contract or was I required to find it myself? If you pointed it out to me from the start then shame on me for not remembering.

If you didn't point it out to me I might feel a little surprised.

Either way, it is a warranted upcharge.HARRY, IT READS AS FOLLOWS: grasscutting begins the first or second week in april (pending weather) and continues until the last week in october, or when the leaves begin to fall, whichever comes first. after grass cutting ends,if customer requests additional service, we will be happy to provide leaf cleanup , which will be charged accordingly.

mtdman
10-19-2004, 12:24 AM
I have a very simple solution to this. When I send out my September bill, I include a flier for all the fall services. In that flier, I make it very clear that starting Oct 1, any pre-mowing leaf cleanups that are necessary in order to mow the lawn will be billed at standard labor rates. If I show up and have to blow the lawn first, I bill them. That way I warn them up front, and let them know what to expect. Most people sign up for leaves, those that don't just pay me to blow before mowing.

Luckily Ann Arbor has fall leaf street pickup, so all I have to do is blow the leaves to the street and leave them. It's not a real thorough clean up, just a quickie to let me mow.

:D