PDA

View Full Version : Blades parallel to ground

fdew
05-27-2000, 06:36 PM
I just put new tires on my Ferris Pro Cut. (3 wheel rider) This makes the back of the deck a little higher. On this machine there are two height adjustments. The front washers can be changed but of course that only lowers the front of the deck. The washers on the blades can also be changed. My deck tilts down at the front even with all the caster washers in place. I could drill 8 new holes and lower the back of the deck to level it. <p>How important is it for the deck, blades to be parallel to ground?<p>Thanks

LiVe2
05-27-2000, 06:47 PM
You want to have the back of the deck higher then the front. Most mowers are setup that way to give a better cut.<p>LiVe

Alan
05-27-2000, 08:07 PM
You will see some funny contours if you cross an area where you have already mowed. The middle blade will be closer to the ground than the two rear ones. I'm assuming this is a three blade deck.

fdew
05-27-2000, 08:33 PM
Yes, It is a 3 blade deck The front of a blade is .5 in higher then the back. That means that I cut a path with 3 high and 3 low spots (1/4 in). Kind of like a wave. I can't see it but it must be there. I just wondered what is right? My manual only says &quot;never have the front higher then the rear&quot;. With the present set up I can not get the front the same height as the rear!

Keith
05-27-2000, 08:38 PM
Most mowers have a slight slant (higher in back)

grasscapeinc
05-27-2000, 10:21 PM
Kieth is right

mowerconsultant
05-27-2000, 11:24 PM
your blades must always be pitched.<br>rule of thumb is 3/16 to 1/4 inch lower in front of deck.<br>if it is level or pitched reverse you are cutting the grass with the back side of the blade and the front, thus using more horse power and leaving a bad cut.