PDA

View Full Version : aerator ? Billy Goat? Blue bird?Ryan?

bntt68
10-15-2004, 03:07 PM
I recently rented a blue bird aerator. It was very rough. Have any of you used the Billy Goat aerator? How does it compare to Blue Bird, Ryan? Thanks

RICHIE K
10-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I HAVE THE BILLY GOAT AE550 EZAIR AERATOR. IT WORKS GREAT... :)

CIAO,

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

bntt68
10-15-2004, 06:22 PM
How does it compare to the others? THANX

LLMSERVICE
10-15-2004, 07:00 PM
I've got yhe Ryan Lawnaire 4 with the Briggs engine and am very happy with it.

However, I've heard that Husqvarna makes one with free wheeling outer tines that is suppose to make turning easier. I have not tried one but if you can rent one for a day, it might be worth it before purchasing one.

RICHIE K
10-15-2004, 07:15 PM
I HAVE ONLY USED THE BILLY GOAT

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

trying 2b organic
10-15-2004, 09:21 PM
You will find the Ryan much much easier to use than the Blue Bird which I found terrible.

PaulJ
10-15-2004, 10:34 PM
The husqvarna is the same as the blue bird, just a different color (owned By the same people).. the free wheeling outer tines alow you to make gradual turns wihtout lifting the tines. I rent blue bird here and they are fast and have a nice dence pattern. I can uaually do a lawn only lifting out of the ground a few times to go over sidewalks and such. The ryan cant turn as well but by leaning them to one side or the other you can turn some. I'd take a blue bird/husqvarna over a ryan anyday.
Never tried a billy goat.
But I really want a turfco turnarator slit drive with differential and brake steering.

EJK2352
10-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Plugr PL-800 is a great areator. I used to run a Ryan Lawnaire V. The Plugr brings up twice as many cores as the Lawnaire, and is alot easier on the body.

ColePyck
10-15-2004, 10:54 PM
rented the bluebird 25" this past week and it tore my ass up. Im still sore from it, its horrible to steer and you have to run with it to do a nice job!

PMLAWN
10-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Plugr 800 is a great unit and pulls the best and deepest plugs. It is great on a flat lot but it has a problem on the hills and can be much more work. It turns very easy and on small lots it is great. we have the 800 and rent the lawnair 4 so we can cover just about any lot. I still prefer to sit and ride on the tractor and pull the trailers while the crews push the walk behinds.

Envirotech
10-26-2004, 10:46 AM
The Billy Goat is heavy, bulky and more expensive than the others. They've also got some bugs to work out. I'm not really happy with mine. The swivel rear wheels look like they'd help, but they don't seem to make much of a difference. I'd go with a ryan or bluebird

Metro Lawn
10-26-2004, 12:11 PM
We have a few of the Lesco units. The guys say they are much easier on them than most others we tried.

CathyLynn
10-26-2004, 07:42 PM
The Plugr 400 for getting squared off then the Perferaetor on the front of the WALKER --- 60,00 feet an hour without breaking a sweat!

You will find the WALKER is a lot more than just a mower!!

Mo Green
10-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I've used Classen an they worked great.

walker-talker
10-26-2004, 07:50 PM
The Plugr 400 for getting squared off then the Perferaetor on the front of the WALKER --- 60,00 feet an hour without breaking a sweat!

You will find the WALKER is a lot more than just a mower!!Have you expierenced problems with the drive tires caking up with mud using the perforator? As far as a walk behind goes...I vote the PL800 by Plugr. I got mine a few months ago and love it!

Mark McC
10-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Classen has a split-drum aerator that looks interesting. Runs about $2,800, but the ability to run one side of the aeration thingy means it steers. It also has a nice wide traction wheel. Side wheels are these skinny things like rental units, though.

FdLLawnMan
10-27-2004, 12:03 AM
just purchased my Plugger 800. I was interested in one but wouldn't buy one until I could demo it. The distributor brought one up to demo a month ago. After trying it it is the best way to go for a walk behind. Pulls up a lot of plugs & turns great. It is a little harder on hills but if I can I go sideways.

Mike I
Mike's Total Lawn Care

________
95 Chevy
60" Lazer Z with striper & Ultra Vac
12 ft trailer
Stihl Handhelds
Pluggr 800
LESCO Walkbehind Fert spreader

PMLAWN
10-27-2004, 12:56 AM
One other downside to the Pluger is the rate at which I go through tines. I am in NC which has a clay soil but the tines only last about 30 lots and I have to replace. The cost is about $100.00 which runs out to about $3.00 per job just in tines. With the cam action against the hard ground the unit takes a beating and a lot of the small parts fail. Nothing but small stuff but it adds up. The rotating drum of the Ryan is not as ruff on the unit. Still pulls the best plugs and is the best unit for the small lot.

CathyLynn
10-27-2004, 06:37 AM
Yes we have haqd some problems with the cores caking op on the wheels! Trying to figure out a way to add a scraper bar to solve this but it has not really been a major problem.

The Plugr is really a great machine and we have sold several of them from our shop, but for me persoanlly it is a little on the heavy side when it comes to pushing it! Smaller people are sometimes challenged by heavier machinery!

bntt68
10-27-2004, 08:00 AM
when you say hard to push, does that mean the plugr is not self propelled in anyway? Please let me know. I am leaning towards the plugr 400.

Green-Pro
10-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Is the PlugR800 a WB aerator? I was looking at the bluebird WB aerator but after reading this thread may reconsider.

Anyone know about how much the PlugR WB, if they make one runs?

I found answers to my questions yes is WB and pl800 runs $2900 for 5.5 honda $2545 for 6.5 Briggs&Stratton, are these prices about right or is there some place lower out there?
Thanks,

G-P

bntt68
10-27-2004, 02:40 PM
If anyone could give prices on the other plugr models it would help.