PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when Aerating

kalyeah
10-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Hello, not planning on doing any aerating this year. However, thinking I might want to look into it for the future. Looking for tips. What obstacles should you look for when aerating? Tree roots and sprinkler heads. Anything else. I don't know anything about the irrigation systems but I'm assuming I'm safe as long as I stay clear of the heads. Thanks in advance.

all ferris
10-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Sprinkler control valves. I have also seen phone and cable wires at less than 3" deep.

Ursushorribilus
10-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Sprinkler control valves. I have also seen phone and cable wires at less than 3" deep.

Wow, that's ridiculously shallow...Is there a standard depth for these?

kalyeah
10-15-2004, 10:38 PM
sounds shallow to me too. How do you go about locating phone wires? Call the phone company? I assume they bury them deeper than that. Guess you should never assume anything. And what about the control valves. How do you locate those? Once again, I don't know anything about the irrigation system.

Wells
10-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Decrative Lighting and wiring (some lighting is flush with the ground)
Stop and Waste valve covers
Sprinkler Manifold Boxes
Sprinkler Drain Covers
Dog fence wiring
Water Meter Lids

Thats about everything I can think of right now.

all ferris
10-15-2004, 11:01 PM
I have never called the cable or phone companies to mark their lines. I figure if I do hit them, the phone or cable company needs to bury them deeper. I think Wells pointed out most things. I always make it the customers responsibility to mark anything that might get damaged. This way I'm not to blame if something gets broke.

Olylawnboy
10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
And don't run over concrete or pavement, even a little bit, don't ask:)

impactlandscaping
10-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Invisible dog fencing is the biggie here. It seems as if everyone has it.Yes, I have learned the hard way on this one... :dizzy:

Hey ferris, we have a commercial property that has cable and phone lines LAYING on the ground, three summers now. No one from the HOA has called to have it fixed, so we mow around it.I'm not hitting it..the local cable co. subs out 90% of their installs, and these guys could care less about where the cables go

Bray
10-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Wow, that's ridiculously shallow...Is there a standard depth for these?

I worked for a company for about 10 years and the drops to the houses are supposed to be at least a foot deep. but since they only pay about 30 bucks a drop they do it as fast and deep as they can plow in one pass.

all ferris
10-16-2004, 12:28 AM
Invisible dog fencing is the biggie here. It seems as if everyone has it.Yes, I have learned the hard way on this one... :dizzy:

Hey ferris, we have a commercial property that has cable and phone lines LAYING on the ground, three summers now. No one from the HOA has called to have it fixed, so we mow around it.I'm not hitting it..the local cable co. subs out 90% of their installs, and these guys could care less about where the cables go

Run it over a few times and they'll figure out it needs to go underground. Around here they call the cables laying on top of the ground "drops" and they seem to forget about burying it till they have to come out and fix it a few times :p ;)

impactlandscaping
10-16-2004, 12:38 AM
I figure one good whack with a trimmer would take out cable and phone to about 10 residents.It has to be brittle and cracked from exposure. Maybe when they sever contracts with us, I'll go walk around on it a few times..lol

PMLAWN
10-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Hate the dog fence. Does anybody know if or use one of those metal detectors to find lines. Always wonder if they would work. Also locate the control valve cover as most are green and you can not see them. Hit one last year and pushed the box down on the pipe and broke the pipe. Water everywhere. lucky it was the down stream side. Most people forget to mark them so tell them to be sure to. Also check sewer clean outs.

Soupy
10-16-2004, 01:57 AM
We have them sign a proposal/contract when we are hired. It states that we are not responsible for damage caused to/by hidden object in the lawn. If they have a sprinkler system I drop off flags (you can get then at hardware stores for around .12-.15 cents). It is their job to make sure they mark everything. The other day, I ran over a invisible dog fence. I told the customer that she will have to contact the installer and ask him why he didn't go deeper then 3". I'm not paying for it, I know that for sure.