PDA

View Full Version : What is the story on hours on your Walker

turf9
10-15-2004, 09:43 PM
I never really looked at it much but my hour meter on my 98 Walker 20 hp reads 1423.00 I keep it well maintained. When will it blow? How long will it last I find the weak link on this thing is the motor.So far it's running good blew a head gasket fixed it myself $6 part 1hr time. Any Walker war story's welcome.

JHLC
10-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing. My 25hp 98 has a little over 1200 hours on it, same head gasket problem.

green acres lawns
10-15-2004, 11:44 PM
My '96 walker 20hp ghs has 1511 hrs with no engine problems. I am changing the discharge chute this week because it wore a hole thu it. I have not had any problems with this mower, just normal maintenance.

MOW ED
10-16-2004, 07:23 AM
The war stories seem to be about the Kohlers not particularly the Walker.
I had a 25hp Kohler from he ll in 1997-8 that was garbage after 100 hours. I later sold it and bought a 2000 26EFI that had a factory (Bosch) fuel pump issue that was rectified under warranty. Other than that my 26 has over 1200 hours on it and I have had ZERO problems, Kohler or Walker related.

Now that 98 was a different story. I can't even bring myself to talk about it again but head gaskets were one of the problems amongst many others.

MLI
10-16-2004, 08:05 AM
had a 97 with the 20 hp.......got 2000+ hrs with no major probs. Then sold it to guy on here awhile back and he used it for a yr!

mpblass
10-16-2004, 09:56 AM
I have a 2000 model with a 20hp Kohler about 1400 hours and no engine problems yet.

mrgreeninc
10-16-2004, 10:41 AM
I have a 2000 walker with the EFI in it. I got 2520 hours before the motor was changed out. It was still running at the time but was leaking oil and had lost compression. I put a new motor in it with the updated wiring harness and computer. It has more power than the original motor had. I already have 200 hours on the new motor.

turf9
10-16-2004, 03:18 PM
thanks for the input guys sound like the motor is in fact the weak point on these things.Knock on wood I hope I can push 2 more seasons out of it.Thanks again

gene gls
10-16-2004, 09:25 PM
I have 2 Walkers, a 1996 Kolher 20 HP and a 1997 diesel, both are close to 2900 hours. The 1996 is ready for a new engin, burning oil and fouling a plug. Very few problems,starters on the Kohler my biggest issue.

Gene

LB Landscaping
10-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Got an 2002 20HP with 650 hrs and no problems yet. Glad to here you guys are getting lots of hours.

PLM-1
10-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure i would call 2000 hrs a lot! Around here everyone uses Grasshoppers and they have 3 times that many hours with no problems. One of my friends has a 24.5 kubota gas with around 9000 hrs on it and he also has a 32 hp diesel with 1100 on it both with no problems with either the machine or the engine. I have an '05 22 hp diesel with 120 hrs on it with no problems yet and im not exactly easy on my machines.

shepoutside
10-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Have 3265 on one of mine, no problems ( Knock Wood ) and the hour meter crap'd out at 1400, last year, never have got it replaced yet. Both still run great.

MJB
10-17-2004, 11:45 PM
JOPLIN, You can't compare an air cooled Kohler engine to a Liquid Cooled Kubota engine I know I have both. The air cooled lose power around 2500 hrs but will sometimes run beyond 3000. The Liquid cooled should always make 5000 plus hrs.

PLM-1
10-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Typo to my previous post 32hp 11000 hrs not 1100. I couldn't imagine not spending the extra couple of hundred to get at least the liquid cooled gas. if you can only get 2000 hrs out of them wouldn't that just be stupid to not get the liquid cooled?...money in your pocket in the long run!!

MJB
10-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Joplin,
I love liquid cooled too. But was I "stupid" for buying a Walker in 1992 13 yrs ago when I was mowing small lawns with a 21" mower. I don't think so...I went from walking 8 hr per day to riding and did all my lawns in 4 hrs. I doubled my income my first year with that machine. Oh but that's right it has an air cooled engine...they did not have a water cooled option back then for this machine......., and I am still running this Walker 2 days per week on my 2nd engine with plenty of life left in it, along with my 721 Grasshopper with a 25HP Kohler that is also 1992, and my Exmark Lazer.. LQ ..60". 2000. So instead of sounding ignorant and using the word stupid, you might want to think before you talk next time.........

PLM-1
10-18-2004, 12:04 PM
MJB,
think before i talk?? what? get your head out of your a$$ and calm down. you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. i was stating an opinion get over it.

grassaholic
10-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I've got a 26EFI with about 2500 hours on it. It's been a good unit for me. I did have the motor rebuilt last fall because it had been burning alot of oil and was really low on power. My hydro's have both been replaced under warranty. If it wasn't for Walker replacing the hydro's under warranty I would really have to question my purchase because they are very expensive. I've also had to have the gearbox that drives the PTO for the deck replaced because the front seal kept leaking oil and eventually it self destructed. The dealer told me that the new gearbox is an updated design that shouldn't have this problem anymore. I would buy another Walker for next year but my local dealer is terrible. They are located out in the middle of nowhere and almost never have what I need in stock. From what I understand Walker mowers are very big in other parts of the country but in Cincinnati I never see them. Here it's all Exmark, Toro, and Scags. When other guys question me about the Walker they always want to know how much it is. When I tell them I've spent over $11,000 dollars for the tractor and 2 mower decks they cringe. The distibutor in Cleveland keeps saying that they are trying to get a dealer in Cincy but have had no luck convincing already established shops to take on the Walker.

If you've got a good local dealer and have the $$ I'd say it's worth it. When I do leaf cleanups in the fall the Walker is awsome with the 48" GHS deck. The rest of the year I run the 52" side discharge which leaves a nice cut and handles hills very well. Since my dealer sucks I'm going to go ahead and get another Exmark. My Exmark dealer always has a loaner for me to use if they can't fix it right away and they are much closer to me. The Walker dealer only has 1 loaner mower and is almost an hour away. As a side note, when I bought my Walker there was a dealer close to me that took very good care of me but he stopped selling them for personal reasons. Now I'm stuck dealing with the small time country dealer an hour away from me.

MJB
10-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Joplin,
I'm over it.......

grass-scapes
10-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Must be a crappy design for the head gasket...Mine went at 400 hours. its got 580 on it now and it sounds horrible. Sounds like the engine is getting ready to explode. Actually, sounds more like a bad bearing somewhere, but I cant find it. It also tries to shut off when sideways on an incline...(not the seat switch, trust me) Oil level is fine, but its probably that damn low oil shutoff switch.

Back40Lawns
12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I have a 2000 Walker with 800 hours on it and other than things that I break from stupid, hurried mistakes, I have only had to replace a starter and blower chute.

Currier
12-16-2004, 04:38 PM
My 26 efi has 2000 hours on it. No problems EXCEPT the starter Three of them last year. The irritating thing is it worked perfect, never had a problem until last winter when I let my dealer do their "Winter Package Deal" they pulled the engine and the starter and I really think they screwed it up. The machine was nice and clean when I got it back but one month into the season the starter, which had never had a problem before started to act up. What a headache.

MJB
12-16-2004, 05:53 PM
CURRIER I had the same problem with my little 16 hp kohler. Then I started blowing it out with my air compressor and have had no more starter problems in 5 yrs. Turns out the dust was the problem. I would just blow the engine compartment the shroud and the starter without removing it.
Might be worth a try.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Our Model T was laid to rest two weeks ago with 2092 hours. She now sleeps in the corner of the shop. We ar thinking of a 50hp turbo diesel that we have sitting next to her that came from a Dixie Chopper. What do you think?

JHLC
12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
The head gasket problem is not a Kohler problem, its a Walker problem. The way the engine is mounted in the mower makes it real easy to get clogged up with grass and over heat. Walker says you should pull the engine every 100 hours, pull the shrouds, clean the engine, and put it all back together again. A whole lot of trouble. The new water cooled was supposed to take care of the problem.As for the head gasket, you should always check to see if the head is warped before you replace the gasket. Clean the head and lay it on a flat surface(I use a piece of glass). If you can slide a .003 in feeler gage under the head it needs to be replaced or the gasket will not seal properly. I just replaced my gaskets last week and the heads were warped. I taped a piece of sand paper to the glass and slid the head back and forth until the head was flat. I shaved about .004 in off, put the heads back on and have not had any problems so far. It cost about $20.00 for the gasket sets vs. $400 for new heads.

clay duncan
12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
my 03 walker has 600 hrs. with no problems to date. i do change oil at 50 hrs. and filter at 100 hrs. i have the mt 20 with a 48 ghs deck....

TMlawncare
12-16-2004, 10:19 PM
I have a '97 walker 48ghs with a 21hp kubota, it has just over 3000hrs on it. Still used daily with few problems. Biggest weakness is the hydros, I have replaced one and the other is now starting to get weak. Otherwise great machine. Updates that I have added include new deluxe suspension seat, big hopper and 52" deck.

turf9
12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
The head gasket problem is not a Kohler problem, its a Walker problem. The way the engine is mounted in the mower makes it real easy to get clogged up with grass and over heat. Walker says you should pull the engine every 100 hours, pull the shrouds, clean the engine, and put it all back together again. A whole lot of trouble. The new water cooled was supposed to take care of the problem.As for the head gasket, you should always check to see if the head is warped before you replace the gasket. Clean the head and lay it on a flat surface(I use a piece of glass). If you can slide a .003 in feeler gage under the head it needs to be replaced or the gasket will not seal properly. I just replaced my gaskets last week and the heads were warped. I taped a piece of sand paper to the glass and slid the head back and forth until the head was flat. I shaved about .004 in off, put the heads back on and have not had any problems so far. It cost about $20.00 for the gasket sets vs. $400 for new heads.

good tip I never even thought to check that out so far so good , I like that sandpaper idea. thanks again for all the input every one .

MOW ED
12-17-2004, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=JHLC]The head gasket problem is not a Kohler problem, its a Walker problem. The way the engine is mounted in the mower makes it real easy to get clogged up with grass and over heat. Walker says you should pull the engine every 100 hours, pull the shrouds, clean the engine, and put it all back together again. A whole lot of trouble. QUOTE]

Not true.
Many people had Kohlers in machines other than Walkers and they had head gasket problems. Kohler came out with a new design for the gaskets but the machining process of the motor was a design flaw. Not a Walker problem. To further challenge your statement, I had a new Kohler with around 100 hours that had the problem. I now own a 2000 Walker 26EFI with over 1200 hours on it. I have NEVER had to take the engine out to clean it and I certainly have not done that 12 times, that statement is rediculous. They recommend to clean the cooling fins but that is a standard maintenance item with ALL air cooled motors. Once again not Walkers problem.

I appreciate your willingness to share information but you are way off base on this.