PDA

View Full Version : paint

thelawnkid
10-16-2004, 01:22 AM
At the end of the year do any of you guys ever paint your mowers from top to bottom, or do you just touch up the scratches. What would be the best type of paint to use to paint the whole mower.

work_it
10-16-2004, 01:30 AM
I've been considering painting my mowers this winter. Whatever you do don't buy your paint at the mower dealers unless you love paying 4 times what you should be. You're better off getting a color card and taking it to a auto body repair shop and having them mix the color for you.

impactlandscaping
10-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Most mower companies sell exact spray color for touch ups and what not. If your mowers look too new, people will think you never work...lol J/K :p A little wax from time to time doesn't hurt , either...

Lawnchoice
10-16-2004, 01:35 AM
I get the pressure washer out, soak the mower with simple green and give it a nice bath.

Then go get some OEM paint and touch up what has been banged up during the season. Check eBay for your mower type, they have some auctions on there for touch up paint for most manufacturers, or so I have seen in the past.

Lawnchoice

thelawnkid
10-16-2004, 01:39 AM
I need to paint the whole mower, should I just go to an auto body paint store and find something that is the same color. will automotive paint be durable enough.

Lawnchoice
10-16-2004, 01:43 AM
I would suggest going to a local (possible chaing ) auto parts store and see if they mix paint. They might have a system where if you brought them a part, they could match it up as close as possible.

Lawnchoice

work_it
10-16-2004, 01:51 AM
I need to paint the whole mower, should I just go to an auto body paint store and find something that is the same color. will automotive paint be durable enough.
That's something I'll find out in the near future. Just make sure you have them mix extra for future touch ups. You're also going to want to use a clear coat which will help protect your paint.

Heck, start a new trend with custom paint jobs on mowers. Think I'm going to mix a flake in the orange paint for the TT.

stevesmowing
10-16-2004, 10:24 AM
professional grade rustoleum.

proenterprises
10-16-2004, 11:56 AM
i just got done painting the deck on my walkbehind. i sanded it down, used ruto-oleum primer. then used about 3 coats of "exo-rust" red paint. i looks great.

out4now
10-16-2004, 02:14 PM
NAPA automotive paint. If you have a fleet center in your area they will have a catalog. You can buy by the gallon, touch up whatever.

Lux Lawn
10-16-2004, 02:41 PM
No paint for me clean it off and let it sit over the winter.