PDA

View Full Version : this is why customers make me sick!

bobbygedd
10-16-2004, 07:30 AM
this is why most of my customers are considered expendable. they make me sick! i have like 5 lawns in this one very troublesome area, poor soil conditions and shade make it rough, but i got all 5 of the lawns in picture perfect shape, it took 3 years, but they are there. one by one i'm picking up the neighbors. so, i have one that calls me, i go over and go thru everything that needs to be done. she thinks my fert program is very high compared to the chain service she's been using. yea yea yea, but the place is a dump, you want it nice....this is the price! her and her husband will think about the program, but certainly are interested in the aerating/seeding i recomended. so, we did it. my ryegrass was up in 5 days, fescues up to 4-5 inches after 3 weeks, and bluegrass just starting to show, loving these 65-70 degree days. i show up there to blow the leaves off the lawn, and what do i see? a pesticide flag. i knock, ask her wtf???? what was applied? a herbicide! on my brand new grass! i let her have it. i can see it now, in spring the grass will be dead, and it will be my fault i'm sure

crawdad
10-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Ya, but they saved five bucks.

David Haggerty
10-16-2004, 07:50 AM
I know what you mean. It seems like when the customer has someone else on the lawn their agenda seems to be to make you look stupid.
The one exception I had was a tree crew that sprayed a circle of orange paint around the nest of some ground hornets in a lawn.
Of course, being the brain child that I am, I had to walk over to see what the circle was all about....

Dave

Branchland
10-16-2004, 07:56 AM
I can't stand customers like that.

I'm still laughing at the circle thing David. I'd probaly done the same thing.

rodfather
10-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Exactly what I would have done too bobby...I would have gone ballistic right on their front porch.

Gr grass n Hi tides
10-16-2004, 09:39 AM
this is why most of my customers are considered expendable. they make me sick! i have like 5 lawns in this one very troublesome area, poor soil conditions and shade make it rough, but i got all 5 of the lawns in picture perfect shape, it took 3 years, but they are there. one by one i'm picking up the neighbors. so, i have one that calls me, i go over and go thru everything that needs to be done. she thinks my fert program is very high compared to the chain service she's been using. yea yea yea, but the place is a dump, you want it nice....this is the price! her and her husband will think about the program, but certainly are interested in the aerating/seeding i recomended. so, we did it. my ryegrass was up in 5 days, fescues up to 4-5 inches after 3 weeks, and bluegrass just starting to show, loving these 65-70 degree days. i show up there to blow the leaves off the lawn, and what do i see? a pesticide flag. i knock, ask her wtf???? what was applied? a herbicide! on my brand new grass! i let her have it. i can see it now, in spring the grass will be dead, and it will be my fault i'm sure

Too funny. I had a similar thing happen when, after very detailed conversation about the what-to-dos & don't dos after I seeded her lawn.......a lady went ahead anway and, in her words "put some weed & feed down to boost the new grass I figured it couldn't hurt." Well, it did hurt. The tiny new grass was like .........arrrggghhh!!! Cripes. I have no idea what her application rate was, probably she just went out there and started throwing it around I didn't bother asking.

Man that hornet thing is funny, lol, lol.

Precision
10-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Average client only has enough brain cells to walk and talk, but not at the same time. Read a label? Herbicides kill grass? Scalping in July is bad? you mean you need to measure fert?

Kitty litter is looking better and better.

The shovel is just too messy.

tiedeman
10-16-2004, 11:28 AM
I have had that happen before too Bobby, but instead of a herbicide, they put down fertilizer, approx 10lbs per 1,0000 sq ft. Oh yeah, that sucker was fried!!!

MMLawn
10-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Ya, but they saved five bucks.

Absoultely ROTFLMAO esp after my post!!!!! :drinkup:

Runner
10-16-2004, 03:53 PM
That DOES just about sum it up the best, doesn't it? People like these just don't comprehend that when the price is higher, and you explain why...it's what's in the bag. They just think yeah, yeah....fert. is fert.. They don't realize that some people (like you, for instance, Bobby) are spreading a much higher quality of product for the simple reason of what all it contains. They have no idea that what big green puts down is basically worthless junk,... they figure it must SOMEthing good, because they put down a whole lot of it. Some people, however, are wising up to it, although there are many small companies out there now who are putting down mediocre products.
Just out of curiosity, Bobby, was the flag from the same big company they had before, or was it someone else this time. That would even add insult to injury.

bobbygedd
10-16-2004, 04:12 PM
same company as before. they actually lied, like 3 months ago, they told me they cancelled. then when i saw the flag, they knew they were caught in a lie, that made it even worse. i can't figure it out. if you look at my lawns in that development, they are light years better than anyone elses, yet because of the price, certain neighbors will stick with the crapola, even though the results are bad. u know what, i couldn't even give a crap if they stick with big green, but it's them or me, don't get me in the middle, and then my work looks like crap. another one, she has weeds like crazy in her beds, and nutsedge in her lawn, the place is a swamp. i told her keep the damn sprinklers off. only water 3 days a week, and never when it rains. she swears to me she shut them off. 3 days later, it's pouring rain, i drive by, and the sprinklers are going at the same time. next cut day i see her, ask her if she been running the sprinklers, she says nope, they been off since we last talked.

Gr grass n Hi tides
10-16-2004, 05:04 PM
another one, she has weeds like crazy in her beds, and nutsedge in her lawn, the place is a swamp. i told her keep the damn sprinklers off. only water 3 days a week, and never when it rains. she swears to me she shut them off. 3 days later, it's pouring rain, i drive by, and the sprinklers are going at the same time. next cut day i see her, ask her if she been running the sprinklers, she says nope, they been off since we last talked.

The irrigation thing is a thorn in my side too. I tell people they need to keep the water off, don'w water 7 days a week & then when they get fungus or brown patches in the summer time I've had one or two say it was from fert. burn........ah, excuse me it isn't........turn the water off & let's see what happens. Problem solved. In fact, the client isn't "always right." Far from it & I try in a polite way to educate. Some will not listen though.

Lux Lawn
10-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Speaking of sprinklers how many times have you pulled up to a house to cut a lawn and see the sprinkler on with them knowing you are there the same day every week. :dizzy:

rodfather
10-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Lux, can you say "clueless"? LOL