PDA

View Full Version : toro z350 (like walker)

rosolar
10-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi, I am thinking of getting a z350. One of my main concerns is that is makes a significant differances with the fall clean ups. I am a solo operated company and wondered how relalistic it is of me to think this machine will be able to handle fall clean ups. any experience or suggestions.

for those not familiar with the z350, it has the GHS like the walker. Thnaks

LB Landscaping
10-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Demo it. I tryed the Walker and the Toro and prefered the Walker hands down. I know alot of others who love the Toro, its all personal preference. My Walker makes fall clean-ups a breeze.

Avery
10-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I have owned both. Two Walkers and one Toro 350. I'll take the Toro hands down. Much more reliable, same quality of cut, twice as fast, and can use the same deck to mulch or collect by simply changing baffles.

MOW ED
10-17-2004, 11:51 AM
I have owned Walkers since 98 and will always own one. They set the standard that everyone else tried to copy. My properties benefit from the machine but you may be different. I am not gonna bash the Toro as I never used one but then I have used the Scag that is a Walker wanna be and didn't like it.
The only way to know for sure is to demo each on your properties and then see what each mower can do for you.
Besides cutting grass ( I SD with a 52 deck) it bags grass, dethatches and bags the thatch, mulches leaves in the fall, can pick up leaves if they are too thick after mulching, I adapted it as a spray rig for herbicides, and it can plow leaves. That is my use from the mower, Walker has many other attatchments that you may or may not need like a snowblower, power broom, ect.
I'd say try em both if you can and ask each local dealer who is running them in your area. Talk to the local guys and see what they like and dislike. 10K is a lot of bucks to spend on something you may not get good use out of. For my money and profit I'll stick with Walker. DEMO ......

Tonyr
10-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Owned a Walker 48'' GHS, owned a Toro Z355.....I clearly prefer the Toro.
Better and more robust, industrial.

Don't buy older models of the Toro though, they had a few issues....now they are the ducks nutz!

The biggest thing you notice is the Walker is a true one hand opperating mower, whilst the Toro's steering is heavier, but then again all controls on Toro are from the steering levers like a mid mount, while Walker you steer one hand, control speed with the other...for this reason I prefer Toro....great cut, great catcher. Unbreakable. Climb anything, cross anything, better than my bigger Toro midmount actually!

My only gripe is that they don't make more blade selections for this deck, love to put meg mos on, but apparently they don't make em for this mower.

CathyLynn
10-30-2004, 09:33 PM
If all you want to do is mow, then maybe the Toro would be fine for you, and I am sure it is a fine running machine. HOwever--if you want versatilty, then the Waalker may be the better investment. The are several very usefull attachments, all very well built, that could make your job as a solo operator easier!

What you don't want to buy (invest) in something that will sit on your trailer too much! Get the machine that will give you the most profitable use over a fairly long period of time, such as 6 to 8 years, if not longer.

Walker owners love their machines but most are also quick to point out that it is not the perfect tool in all situations and like any other machine, has it's limitations, weakness' and quirks.

Avery
10-30-2004, 10:48 PM
How many 355's have you owned/operated Cathy? Seems you are giving a biased opinion based on your experience with one machine. I have owned both. The Toro is a far superior machine. And sitting on the trailer? My Walkers spent most of their time sitting in the shop at the dealer. Also might wanna mention the what those "useful attachments" for the Walker cost. Factor that in and they are not so useful anymore.

Tonyr
10-30-2004, 11:33 PM
If all you want to do is mow, then maybe the Toro would be fine for you, and I am sure it is a fine running machine. HOwever--if you want versatilty, then the Waalker may be the better investment. The are several very usefull attachments, all very well built, that could make your job as a solo operator easier!

==========

Cathy,

I can only say exactly what Avery said, we both are or were owners of both, unless you have owned and opperated a brand/model you can't knock it, fact.

We can or should only speak from experiences, not bias opinions of your present mower, afterall we all say we have the best, but bias is natural, but to critise us who believe from owning both that we see the Toro as more versatile is a little off imo.

Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself again, what model Toro Z355 did you own again??

And from the quote I pasted, of course all I want my mower to do is mow! It is a Mower! Both catch good, Toro just catches better, different blower, better chute! 2 in one deck, heavier and stronger built, heaps easier to maintain, based on the construction of current ZTR midmounts, not light duty like Walker....the Walker IS GREAT FOR IT'S DESIGNED PURPOSE, but the Toro has a wider work scope, faster, which means more productivity, which is more profit!

I am NOT BASHING WALKER, I'm simply stating from my experiences as a previous owner opperator of the 2 that I found Toro much better, BUT I will agree that in SOME jobs a Walker may be better, maybe not...

Cathy this Z355 we are talking about is not a midmount, it is like a Walker in design, only better. :)

But don't listen to the dumb Aussie, we only buy mowers to mow....maybe my experiences are limited, what else can they do?? :drinkup:

This is a Toro Z355...

CathyLynn
11-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Not one thing I said bashed the Toro. I only pointed out, firts that the aToro would be just fine if all he wanted to do was mow. I have nothing against the Toro at all, and in other posts pointed out that the Toro, like the Walker would save you a lot of time in similar conditions. The Walker offers versatility that some people like and are willing to pay for. Kinda like you buying the truck of your choice then loading up with options of your choice. It's a personal thing.
THIS WHOLE THREAD HAS GOTTEN WAY OUT OF HAND--IT STARTED OUT WITH A SIMPLE "IS WALKER GOING OUT OF BUSINESS'--I THINK WE SHOULD ALL MOVE ON--DON'T YOU........

Tonyr
11-02-2004, 08:35 AM
no worries, you are right....

these types of conversations always go off direction, they are all different and don't all perform the same, and are better/worse than competitors, like often said here, fit the mower to your work, if it goes well makes the dollars then it was a good choice.

i replied because you were implying (i thought) that walker was a more versatile machine, if you say this we just have to agree to dissagree, but I've owned both and my opinion was from my personal opinion only from my business, sorry if i sounded like i was being to general...and your comment about toros are fine if you only want to mow....still confused about that, but i agree, no use continuing, we can't all agree on everything.

walker-talker
11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Come one Avery....give it a rest already. She said nothing bad about the Toro and even said that the Walker is not for everyone. It's obvious that you have something against her and just need to let it go man.

levellawncare
11-02-2004, 10:13 AM
I have operated both machines. They are both great. If you are doing smaller rolling yards you wand the walker. It doesn't scap as bad as the Toro. If your doing big areas you definately want the Toro. If you have steep hills to mow you may also want to consider the Toro. It will hand a hill much better than the Walker. As far as clean ups what I don't like about the Toro is that when the chute gets clogged it is very difficult to unclog. The Walker is much easier. They are both great machines though depending what you want to use it for. I wouldn't justify buying either one just for the clean up portion. You may want to look into what you are gonna need it for all year. Walker is also offered in the 42 inch deck where I don't think the Toro is. The 42 is a much cleaner cut on rolling lawns and will get in most back gates.

Kev's Lawncare
11-02-2004, 10:33 AM
My dealer sells both Walker and Toro. I have tried the walker and wanted to try out the Toro. There were no Toro's in our district to be demoed (no help here) But did say Toro was discontinuing the 300 series Toro.