PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever do it like this?

bobbygedd
10-16-2004, 02:00 PM
i was talkin to a total jackass yesterday, who has been mowing lawns full time for 22 yrs. he's bragging about how he bangs off 30 lawns and is home by 1:30. just him and a helper, 30 lawns in 5.5 hrs. then he goes on to tell me, he only wacks and edges every THIRD VISIT! that's right, the "trick is" , so he says, is to wack down to the ground one week, then u can skip the wacking the next 2 weeks! so, for two out of every 3 weeks he only runs the mower over the lawn and blows off the walkways. anyone do it like this?

Lux Lawn
10-16-2004, 02:03 PM
No- If he is cutting the edges that short they have got to be brown and how his customers don't complain I don't understand.

green with envy
10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
HELL NO !!!

I take pride in my work. I wouldn't do that at my house and I treat my customers like I'm doing my own yard.

Mike

proenterprises
10-16-2004, 02:32 PM
i cant imagine how he would be getting away with this for so long. im surprised the grass even comes back after he takes it down to the dirt.

the closest thing ive ever done to that-i have a lawn where their is a small front yard and large open area with trees, slanting downhill in the back. i only trim those trees every other week. they dont grow much, and the owners never walk down their anyway.

out4now
10-16-2004, 02:33 PM
If he's going to do that why not just hit it with round up on the edges? I could see taking it down to the dirt for a ditch or something but not on a manicured lawn.

Mico Landscaping design
10-16-2004, 02:35 PM
i have never done this.. how ever i have heard people doin that on big accounts that u cant really till now.. if that's what he want's to do hey more power to him..... but thats just wut i typed though ! :drinkup:

MMLawn
10-16-2004, 02:39 PM
I treat my customers like I'm doing my own yard.
Mike

Shoot mine would FIRE Me if I did that...LOL :cool2:

bobbygedd
10-16-2004, 02:47 PM
wait a minute...how can they fire you, you are not employed by them. oh, oh, i see, you mean they could cancel service? ok. yea, talk about complaints, i been to his house, the answering machine is full at all times.

DLCS
10-16-2004, 03:06 PM
We have a few guys here that do that sort of thing. The thing is though that might only work in late summer or fall but in the spring/summer if you do that, the weeds would take over instantly on those heavily trimmed areas. No, I would never do that I trim every visit thats what i'm getting paid to do.

mbricker
10-16-2004, 03:52 PM
I agree with all above--that is not high quality lawn maint.

But the guy obviously has the type of customers who are not too concerned. If they are getting lesser service, probably he is charging lesser rates as well. That is all it takes to make some people happy.

rodfather
10-16-2004, 03:59 PM
i've seen guys do that bg. Hell, be simpler if they just used Roundup at the start of the year...friggin idiots too btw.

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Plenty of guys around here 'trim' with roundup out far enough around the obstacles that they don't have to trim around them. I picked one up once that had been 'trimmed' with something beyond roundup because nothing would grow there the year I serviced it either! Bad!!!

Likestomow
10-17-2004, 11:01 AM
bobbygedd wrote: "... i been to his house, the answering machine is full at all times."

Bobby you've been to his house? and looked at is answering machine?

Is this guy a buddy of yours? Maybe you trade ideas?

fga
10-17-2004, 11:06 AM
i was talkin to a total jackass yesterday, who has been mowing lawns full time for 22 yrs. he's bragging about how he bangs off 30 lawns and is home by 1:30. just him and a helper, 30 lawns in 5.5 hrs. then he goes on to tell me, he only wacks and edges every THIRD VISIT! that's right, the "trick is" , so he says, is to wack down to the ground one week, then u can skip the wacking the next 2 weeks! so, for two out of every 3 weeks he only runs the mower over the lawn and blows off the walkways. anyone do it like this?
i would like to do that to the entire lawn, making weekly service effortless. maybe whack the customer too every 3rd week, so you have to deal with them less also. this guys a genious.

LB Landscaping
10-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I trim everytime we mow. Couple of guys around here skip weeks (some don't even trim) and I've picked up a few because of it.

desert rose gardening
10-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Not Me! Thats nothing to be proud of, sounds like he's in a hurry to get finished for the day.

Greenservice
10-17-2004, 12:10 PM
If it's done right, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between what was whacked and what was mowed. It should all blend together.

I'm surprised any customer lets him get away with that.

DLS1
10-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey Bobby what part of town you mow in? You either have a good imagination for story telling or the the worlds worst customers. Are you getting the leftover customers the big boy LCO's don't want?

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

tinman
11-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Fact is there are people who just want the grass cut & could care less if you trim or what there yard looks like as long as the price is super cheap. Only problem with it is what neighbors think about your service. They see it & think what a terrible job & would never call you.
But there is a market for "mow only" just like cable TV sells different levels of service or a car wash offering a quick wash outside only for a cheaper price. Unfortunatly the people who want the bare service would be the first to NOT be able to pay on time.