PDA

View Full Version : OK....what would you choose?

Aleman
10-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Just to get everyones thoughts...Heres your situation...You can have one one mower, just one...you have a wide range of yards...you have several fescue yards plus a few Bermuda..some are wide open 30K+ sq ft some are 6k, with natural areas, misplaced trees and ac units on the side on the house that require allot of maneuvering to get it as close as possible...several are a mix of the above...some also have fences with 60" gates....then of course theres the one on the corner with the STEEP hill....so...which mower are you gonna choose to be the most efficient on this mix of yards??

pjslawncare/landscap
10-16-2004, 08:29 PM
A gateway type hydro walk behind

Travis Followell
10-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Well that sounds challenging. I would just get a 26 hp Bad Boy pup series ztr. It seems like a versatle machine even though i've never used one. My second choice would be a 52 or 60 inch hustler ztr. They have a lower center of gravity so they will definately hold hills better. Thats just my 2 cents.

Turfdude
10-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Sold my 2, but a 48" stander should handle these varying situations w/ no problem ... just get it w/ an 18 hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin, or similar 19 HP Kaw.

bushtrimmer
10-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Exmark Turf Tracer 60 if it will fit, 52 if 60 is too big.
The large framed TT handles hills great and is very manuverable

Branchland
10-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I would go with the widest I could that would fit aroung the beds, house, AC units and such. As far as hills, my 52' toro W/B hydro does great but my Super Z 60' will hold any hill that it can. So I guess with just one mower it'd be my super z if it would fit about anywhere I needed it to. Shoot, that's what I do now. And as far as the type of grass any of mine do just fine.

65hoss
10-17-2004, 12:13 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15557

52" Hp

gogetter
10-17-2004, 12:38 AM
I have to agree with PJ. If I can only have one mower that needs to be big enough to cover larger areas, a WB so it can handle steeper hills/slopes, be able to fit through small gates (lots in my area), a hydro so it's super maneuverable, I see Hustlers Gatestar as fitting all those requirements.

Of course it remains to be seen whether it cuts well, but from what I hear about Hustlers other mowers, and seeing as how long this one is taking to get to market, my guess is it will perform well.

Soupy
10-17-2004, 01:13 AM
How about getting a 36" hydro walk behind and the 18" flex deck that flips up. This will get you through gates and also give you a 54" cut. The flex deck sticks out and is suppose to be great fro getting in tight areas. I have never used one, but if I had your situation I would. I have heard good things from people that have this setup. Plus the flex deck is removable easily.

impactlandscaping
10-17-2004, 03:13 AM
Easy, a 23hp 52" Wright Stander..

benabarlow
10-17-2004, 10:26 AM
I've had my hustler super 60in z on 45 degree slopes. You just have to go down them back wards and slow. would highly not recommend this to a beginner mower. you really have to know your limits of the mower to play on slopes like that. Look for my pic post of this soon.

MOW ED
10-17-2004, 10:34 AM
I've had my hustler super 60in z on 45 degree slopes.

Not gonna be a ball buster but I have a real real hard time believing that the slope was 45 degrees and you were going any distance on it. A 45 degree slope is very severe and there are only a couple mowers made by Hustler that will do it. Can you post some pics of the slope.

I know that many mowers can do some amazing things on slopes but 45 degrees is way too steep.

Itsgottobegreen
10-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Sold my 2, but a 48" stander should handle these varying situations w/ no problem ... just get it w/ an 18 hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin, or similar 19 HP Kaw.

Easy, a 23hp 52" Wright Stander..

I would have to agree. Wright Stander. THe 23hp 52" is the best choice, then the 48", 19 hp. Speed of a ZTR and the compactness of the walkbehind. Best of both worlds. I got three and wouldn't run anything else.

Aleman
10-17-2004, 08:39 PM
So how would the Sentar 52 with a 25 kaw fit in to this? Would you still choose the stander with the 23...or better yet a 25 kaw?

Kelly's Landscaping
10-17-2004, 09:58 PM
What ever brand you like as long as its a ZTR yes the hill might be a challenge but even if I had to weed wack the entire hill I would still take a ZTR over a wb or stander or 3 wheeler any day of the week.

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Aleman,

My #1 suggestion is, if you don't know your clearances dead on, get yourself a 6ft piece of PVC and a black majic marker. Cut it to say 63" or so. Take it to your properties for a guage and mark on the pipe any place it will not clear. Then make a mental note of how much work that lack of clearance is going to create. My #2 suggestion is never believe anyone about hilling ability. Demo units and prove it to yourself and along with this you get to see how it cuts.

The 48" 52" & 54" mowers are good do-all machines. But 60" class machines are not the "flagship" units for nothing. If you can squeeze them in, run them productively and still have a good looking finish cut, you will have a great appreciation for them on the bigger properties.

As far as which brand to get, I'm not so sure how to answer that anymore....

PaulJ
10-17-2004, 11:36 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=63999

there's my answer.

hustler 48" super walk with bullrider and accelerator

bag or discharge
hills, under trees,
1000-40000 sqft.

gravedigger5
10-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Toro 36" with flex deck and accellerator. The mower handles hills great. Got one hill probably 40deg + can't hardly walk on it and no way I would even consider putting my Z on there, it would slide or flip backwards.

Flex-Deck
10-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Toro 36" with flex deck and accellerator. The mower handles hills great. Got one hill probably 40deg + can't hardly walk on it and no way I would even consider putting my Z on there, it would slide or flip backwards.

Thanks gravedigger5