PDA

View Full Version : Go ahead, give it a try...

FuzzyOne
10-16-2004, 10:48 PM
This ever happen to you? I was nearing the end of my day and the clouds were getting pretty dark. Rain was in the forcast and I was running late. A 12 hour night shift, 5 lawns done and I had 3 to go.

Anyway, I'm cutting in a beautiful $500k plus development and I pass a LCO doing one of the lawns. The guy does great work and I always wondered what equipment he used to lay such nice stripes. So I pull up, drop my gate and start cutting with my 52" TTHP with the ECS I bought off another member here. The lot I was cutting was about 3/4 of an acre.

So I get done cutting on my Jungle Wheels in 4th gear and head to my trailer. Out of the corner of my eye, I see one of the LCO guys hustling towards me from about 6 houses away. I shut it down and think, here we go, what's on this guys mind. IMHO, I don't look like a "pro". Regular pickup with a tandem trailer, took my signs off the truck because I was getting too many calls and turning work I didn't need down, no uniform.....Needless to say, I was ready to think this guy wanted to voice his opinion.

So I turn off my Peltors and he says, "I just had to see what you were using. You were flying compared to my Bobcat hydro". So I tell him it's an Exmark and I didn't have it up to full speed. "Go ahead....give it a try." I tell him. I run him through the basics with the ECS controls and he was off and going.

How do you like the cut? He asks. Take a look.....as I point to the well fertilized, striped lawn. He then proceeds to run over my stripes demoing the machine. "Don't worry, I won't mess the lines up", he said with a laugh.

So afterwards, we chit chat a little, talk about our insurance rates, he thanks me, and we part out ways. I think I just sold an Exmark. :drinkup:

Envy Lawn Service
10-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Nice thing you did there....

MOW ED
10-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Now he is gonna buy one and take your job next season!!!!! :cry:

Just kiddin, I like talkin with the other guys that are legit businessmen, I think that if the ligit guys raise the bar there still will be work for all and there is no problem in being friendly.

Branchland
10-17-2004, 11:59 AM
It's nice when you can talk to other LCO's professionaly and get along. Can't stand it when people just want to give you a dirty look and not be nice.

gogetter
10-17-2004, 04:49 PM
I think that's cool, good for you. There's no reason (professional) LCO's can't get along while we're out there. I'm happy to nod or waive to another (professional) LCO passing by, and appreciate it when they do the same.

You never know when some work may come your way through networking with others, as just happened to me this fall :D

proenterprises
10-17-2004, 05:06 PM
good thing you have done. not only have you possibly sold a machine, but you made a friend who is in the biz, never hurst in this industry.

tiedeman
10-17-2004, 06:56 PM
that was a nice thing that you did

Mico Landscaping design
10-17-2004, 07:41 PM
sound's like he liked it alot... maybe next year u will see him on the same machine or bigger... good job.. i hate it when u wave to another LCO and they dont wait.. its like umm ok AZZ hole dont wave.. oh well... :blob3: