PDA

View Full Version : $62.50 PER wrench? WTF?

ElephantNest
10-17-2004, 11:44 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42261&item=4329525754&rd=1

24 piece wrench set for (retail) $1500.00? ?????? ? ??

Just because they're 12 pt.? Is there cocaine inside? Does the set come with a mechanic??

impactlandscaping
10-17-2004, 11:49 AM
That seems a little high for wrenches, but I know my uncles use Snap On in their garages, and they aren't cheap. I bought one wrench for my E47 pumps to take the solenoids out, and it was like 45-50.00 for the one wrench. Sad thing is i left it on top of the plow one night, and went out to plow, and lost it somewhere.. :dizzy: I'll stick with my Crapsman wrenches..lol

muddstopper
10-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Yea, sounds a little high for a set of wrenches but, A lot of companies are now putting into rules and procedures that only tools manufactured by certain companies can be used on the job sites. Companies such as Snapon, Mac, Craftsman, ect. seem to be the tools of choice. Most companies have learned that expensive tools are cheaper in the long term. While it might be acceptable for an individual to use inferior tools, (tiawan), companies have had to pay because of the potential for personal injury to their employees. These injuries usually occur because the cheaper tools break, strip and even bend causing employees to suffer hurt backs, mashed fingers or other unnecessary injuries. While I personaly probably wouldnt pay $1500 for a similar set of wrenches, I also wont pay $29.95 for a cheap set of China made wrenches. I also could probably buy that same set of wrenches here locally for a much cheaper price. Snapon Has their Corp. Headquarters located here.

LwnmwrMan22
10-17-2004, 12:42 PM
You know they're good quality, 22 bids up to almost $900. The "$1500" is probably msrp, kinda like a new car's window sticker, or when you're watching QVC late at night and they say a computer would retail for $3500, but if you call within the next 2 minutes, we'll see it to you for 5 easy payments of $29.99.

Personally, I'll buy Craftsman tools, lifetime warranty, as long as you don't leave them on the plow. :)

NC LawnScapes
10-17-2004, 12:58 PM
snap on is quality BUT i CANT AFFORD EM

impactlandscaping
10-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Personally, I'll buy Craftsman tools, lifetime warranty, as long as you don't leave them on the plow. :)

I have also ran over my eyeglasses in similar fashion...LOL ;)

qualitylandscaping
10-17-2004, 02:10 PM
I buy alot of Snap On tools.. Well worth the money in my opinion :waving:

out4now
10-17-2004, 02:40 PM
It's becasue the sizes go up to 1and 5/8. That wrench alone is probably over 50 then the next size down will be a little less and so forth. The wrench sets I bought from Snap-on were areound 300 but that was 10 years ago and that set only went from 3/8 to 7/8. I have some large wrenches sfrom Matco and they were around 45 a piece when I bought those. Man prices have gone up, I'm glad I got out of that biz when I did.

gl1200a
10-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I think you're missing the point here. Look at the sizes of the wrenches. They're a huge set going up to 1 5/8 inch wrench. I use Mac Tools, which are the same quality, and that isn't bad for a 24 piece set covering nuts of that size.

tiedeman
10-17-2004, 06:58 PM
I wish that I had some money to buy those

gl1200a
10-17-2004, 09:23 PM
That is a good portion of the problem. We used to own a rather large service station with multiple bays and even the assistant mechanics were convinced that they had to own either Mac or Snap-On tools only. The only way they could afford them was to get setup on payment plans with the tool companies. It is the ultimate example of the 'company store'. Most mechanics make very low to average money (unless they are master techs) and they never get ahead on the payments let alone the interest charges added on. Plus feeling they had to have all the collector sets and the fancy NASCAR themed rolling tool boxes and tool sets that constantly come out.

Now, I will admit, that there is a very large difference the the quality and precision of tools like Mac & Snap-On, but very few people need that kind of performance day after day unless they are highly paid or given the tools free for the advertising. I personally have (mostly) Craftsman as they do a great job for me and are guarunteed down the street at my local Sears store.

Yes, those wrenches listed on eBay are very pricey, but they will get their premium price for them. If you really want to see expensive you should see the prices they get for the tool boxes and chest of drawers that those tools rest in.

Take care.

i_plant_art
10-18-2004, 12:21 AM
fellas im not a big fan of snap on only cause of the price but i have ordered a few of their tools due to the odd things they have that u cant get a sears or homo cheapo i looked in my "dealer net price list 2004" and the price was 1513.45. thats a lilttle high for what most of us can pay for tools..... to say the least...

ElephantNest
10-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Well, I have wrenches that large also. And they are garanteed for life......so tell me HOW, if I were to buy these would I be "getting what you pay for"? Will they make me a better mechanic? Are they stronger? More leverage? Better warranty? No to all. Paying for a name. I pay partly for names also, like Exmark, Shindaiwa, Redmax. But they, IMO, are supierior to others, therefor worth the money. But if Shindaiwa started selling homelite with SHINDAIWA written on them, I'd pass. But a tool is a tool in many cases, like wrenches that are waranteed for life. Maybe I just don't get it. Happy bidding!

mowpronj
10-18-2004, 12:32 AM
:blob3: I think you are all missing the point with these wrenches. If you would take the time to read about them they are 24 KARAT GOLD. Look at the picture you can see the color as well. Sometime its worth reading the description, just like reading the directions.

Soupy
10-18-2004, 04:53 AM
Well, I have wrenches that large also. And they are garanteed for life......so tell me HOW, if I were to buy these would I be "getting what you pay for"? Will they make me a better mechanic? Are they stronger? More leverage? Better warranty? No to all. Paying for a name. I pay partly for names also, like Exmark, Shindaiwa, Redmax. But they, IMO, are supierior to others, therefor worth the money. But if Shindaiwa started selling homelite with SHINDAIWA written on them, I'd pass. But a tool is a tool in many cases, like wrenches that are waranteed for life. Maybe I just don't get it. Happy bidding!

I asked my dad this question years ago. He looked at me and said Craftsman doesn't guarantee my knuckles. He told me that Snapon is just a better tool for professional use.

My dad owned a shop and had more then one set of some tools. He has given me some tools already, but someday I will own around $100,000 in Snapon tools. I joke with my dad all the time about putting some of the older Snapon tools on ebay. I'll be like dad, I should get some good money for that on ebay.

WigginsLandscaping
10-18-2004, 06:38 AM
I have come from the "AUTO INDUSTRY". I can honestly tell you that these wrenches if bought at the rate right now on EBAY) 898 would be a steal. However as someone might have already said. These wrenches and other SNAP ON or MAC are for professionals. People who make their living using tools. Craftsman and others in retail stores carry lifetime guarentees true enough and trust me in a professional garage if you use craftsman you will be borrowing many tools which other mechanics look down on. The real question is whether you want to be running to sears every week taking stuff back. No it wont cost you for the wrenches if they break. it will cost you in driving, line waiting, parking, and whatever else your wife finds while you are there, not to mention the fact that they probably are out of the one wrench you need replaced. Snap-On comes by weekly and takes care of that for you. And if it is needed right away my old rep would bring to me. To put things into perspective. I could cut grass with a Murry but it is sure nice to have my Toro Z-Master. After several years. The Toro is still going strong. Would the Murry? Just my 2-cents.
:drinkup:

David Haggerty
10-18-2004, 08:34 AM
ElephantNest; They may be better tools than you are a mechanic.
Personally I find S&K to be just fine. Better than Craftsman, cheaper than Snap On.

Sabina OH is the home of Mac Tools. I live near Sabina. In the winter I used to deliver Mac Tool trucks to dealers.
I've been to the Mac Tool distribution warehouse in Columbus. It's built a lot like the pictures I've seen of the inside of Fort Knox!

The local Snap On dealer was murdered along with his whole family during a tool robbery back in the '80s. I just saw in the paper where the last of the two murders died in prison. The other one hung himself in his cell.

Men around here obsess over tools. My neighbor had a set of those commemorative gold PLATED Snap On wrenches. He also has a chest of Snap On tools taller than he is. Probably worth more than his house.
I've heard it said that tools are to men what jewelry is to women.

Dave

GreenMonster
10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Armstrong make nice wrenches too.

I really don't care too much what wrench I use, as long as it is a smooth, polished, wrench. You CANNOT work with the Craftsman's all day that have ther raised edge on them. Calluses gallore. Now, at home, changing oil and other little reg. maintenance stuff, they're fine.

proenterprises
10-18-2004, 03:07 PM
i honestly dont think i would be able to justify the expense of those. their only hand tools! im sure that their quality is far superior to those found in home depot or craftsman, but i have never had a problem with any of those handtools which i own.

Jimmyed
10-18-2004, 06:01 PM
To be honest with you all, there is alot and i mean alot of DEALER markup on snappy stuff. Ive bought alot of tools through the last 6-7 years from snappy. Never financed anything other than a small truck account charge. Always made $100 week payment if I owed him anything. Ive got that set of wrenches, and I paid less than half of the msrp for them new....