PDA

View Full Version : Sea Grape problem

Frontier-Lawn
10-17-2004, 11:25 AM
my mother in law has a over grown sea grape in her yard. and i was cleaning it up for her to look more like a tree instead of a mess of branches. anyway i have it all trimmed up an i started to pull out the dead & not wanted branches from the middle of the plant and out comes 1,000's of Carpenter ants. is the plant a goner now or can it be saved? if it can be saved how do i get rid of the ants?

Ric
10-17-2004, 03:48 PM
ICC

Carpenter Ants can be Bi++h. They bite when their nest is attacked. If you are not Licensed and this is your mother-in-laws house I see no need for calling a pest control company. Wasp spray from the hardware store will do the trick but you must find the Queen and there may be several of them in different nests. Might take even an experience pest guy several tries.

Sea grapes are IMHO a dirty plant, too many Falling leafs. However you can cut them back to nothing and they will come back. The Carpenter ant problem should not hurt them.

BTW I am just south of you in Punta Gorda. I have a nursery and pesticide company.

Frontier-Lawn
10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
how about pouring liter fluid on it and lighting it :p

Ric
10-17-2004, 05:41 PM
how about pouring liter fluid on it and lighting it :p

Icc

I think lighter Fluid doesn't come in a large enough can. Try 50 gallons of Gasoline and a Blow torch.