PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Trailer Bearings?

Husky03
10-17-2004, 12:11 PM
I am doing work to my trailer and I decided I had better check the wheel bearings before I start using it for the first time next spring. I have taken the wheel off and now I am clueless. How do I get the cap off? There is a hole in the end and I stuck a swab in the hole and a lot of grease came out. Should I just squirt some grease in this hole and call it done? I have tryed scraping the old packed grease off of the cap, but it is hard to see if there is a notch or anything. Thanks for any help :)

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
10-17-2004, 12:44 PM
If you want to really clean things up , Remove the grease cap and remove the spindle nut and pull the hub,clean and repack the bearings be sure and check the for wear before repacking them,Go out and get yourself a pair of bearing buddies and replace the old grease caps with them ,They have grease fittings in the center so you can grease with out removing the old grease cap.

Husky03
10-17-2004, 12:48 PM
How do I get the cap off? This is an old trailer, would it be best for me to just leave the bearings alone?

Thanks...

Branchland
10-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Use a small flat srewdriver and work your way around the edges. You may have to use a hammer to get it started.

Turf Medic
10-17-2004, 01:53 PM
How do I get the cap off? This is an old trailer, would it be best for me to just leave the bearings alone?

Thanks...

If you have no idea what you are doing, it is best to leave it alone.

out4now
10-17-2004, 02:02 PM
To get it started use a chisel or screwdriver very gently with a soft mallet at the groove at the end of the cap towards the trailer. It will act as a wedge and bring the cap out far enough that shoud be able to get it by hand. Screwdriver head might be to blunt to get it into the grove. The cap is soft metal so be careful if you use the chisel idea. Best would be to have someone do it for you and watch so you can learn for the future.

tx_angler
10-17-2004, 03:11 PM
What they ^^^^^^ said!. If you don't know how to get the grease cap off, you will probably encounter more problems reassembiling the wheel. The bearings need to be tight but not too tight when you put it back together. They need to run free but not wobble. To tight and they build up excessive heat. Too loose and they'll sling the grease out and wear from side to side friction.

Find (or pay) someone that knows what they're doing and let them do it and ask them to show you how it's done. There is a specific way to repack a wheel bearing and it would be difficult to explain with out pictures or a video.

Last thing you need is a wheel coming off the trailer at 60MPH in heavy traffic or 30MPH downtown.

Phishook
10-17-2004, 04:00 PM
If it's a old trailer, you better just plan on replacing the bearings and reces.

It's not expensive. If you do it yourself, get a bearing packer. Just a cheap one will work, and it's a lot better than hand packing them.

If yo go to a NAPA or probably any good auto store, you should be able to get everything you need, plus they might explain how to do it.