PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Your Equipment & Fuel

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I was wondering if you folks tie your down equipment when trailering.

I do myself and my sons give me s*it once in awhile, because a lot of guys around here don't seem to bother? This takes them a couple of minutes longer loading and unloading, but I insist on it with them.

It's the law (as far as I know) here in Ontario Canada.

Also, what is the best way to secure your extra gas cans (Large & Small)?

Thanks guys!

:help:

Mico Landscaping design
10-17-2004, 03:50 PM
I was wondering if you folks tie your down equipment when trailering.

I do myself and my sons give me s*it once in awhile, because a lot of guys around here don't seem to bother? This takes them a couple of minutes longer loading and unloading, but I insist on it with them.

It's the law (as far as I know) here in Ontario Canada.

Also, what is the best way to secure your extra gas cans (Large & Small)?

Thanks guys!

:help:
well here in Michigan u have to tie them down for many reasons.. one so they don't go flying out if u get in a car accident... i use to fight with my dad and give him **** bout tell i went to the weigh master and he told me how to do it the right way... just use the long cinch down straps to and around each mower... gas cans u can just use a bungee... it all depends on if u got a enclosed trailer or open.. there's still some people around here that done tie nothing down.. wait tell they get caught buy the weigh master he will love them .... thats my 2 sense though :drink up:

precisioncut
10-17-2004, 03:52 PM
My 36 w/b is strapped down with a ratchet strap. Takes a few seconds, easy and safe, I would never drive without strapping it down. Now my push mowers are secured in the back of the w/b with a 2x4 attached to the floor.

Gas cans are placed in a shelf I made specifically for them and other small things.

Frosty_03
10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
I strap everything down, as far as my gas cans I have a Ram 1500 with a camper and I keep all my gas cans and small hand equipment in th back and I use a cargo holder in the back to hold them in place. I know it takes a little longer to load and unload, but I believe that if I have to stop fast everything will stay in place. I know this because I had to stop and it's a good thing I had electric brakes on my trailer :cool2:

Mowerboy04
10-17-2004, 06:01 PM
i don't except on long trips but after reading this i might

lqmustang
10-17-2004, 07:33 PM
I keep my 48 W/B secured with 2 ratchet straps, small mower is bungeed down. Gas cans and other small stuff go in a deep box I built on the front of the trailer, packed in tight enought they can't really move around. Only takes me about 30 seconds to load or unload.

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-17-2004, 08:59 PM
I like the deep box idea. :cool:

I currently use bungees', but the box seems much more efficient!

Thanks! :waving:

ofishil
10-17-2004, 09:13 PM
I have a scag 48" and i tie it to the front with some straps. I dont think its the most efficient way. Do you guys strap yours to the sides or the front? gas cans sit in the back of my truck.

Tadams
10-17-2004, 10:21 PM
No one that I know uses straps! The only thing that I use are a couple of 2x4's screwed onto the floor of my trailer to keep my lazer and turf tracer at the right place to keep as muxh weight off of the tongue of the trailer. Thats about what most around here do for the mowers. The gas cans are either in the back of the truck or on the side of the trailer.

Mo Green
10-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Check out www.green-touch.com. They have all kinds of stuff for trailers, including gas can holders.

PLM-1
10-17-2004, 10:30 PM
who in their right mind would pay $90 for a gas can holder???

Mo Green
10-17-2004, 10:54 PM
It was just a suggestion for reference. You can find the same kind of stuff at other places cheaper if you have the time to shop around.

shepoutside
10-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Yes, in Ontario it's the law, in fact, I watched 3 LCO's get tickets as the MTO did a blitz in Cambridge the end of the week. I also have a carriers license, and I'm very lawful about all of this, as around here, they are hefty fines, and a record on my C.V.O.R. too. Below are wheel locks, which you can put pad-locks on too, work well, drive in and out. :blob3:

qualitylandscaping
10-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Fastraps from Green Touch.. Love them! Takes 5 seconds per tire

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-19-2004, 11:38 AM
The wheel locks look like a great idea, Shep!!!

Quick and Efficient....but what it looks like you are restricted to where the rider sits.

Sometimes we travel with one riding mower...sometimes with two! :blush:

I know...We can buy 2 sets! But we try to distribute the weight depending on which configuration we use.

Looks like they are anchored!

Do you ever transport a different configuration and if so, what do you do?

:waving:

mtdman
10-19-2004, 10:56 PM
All my loose equipment goes in the back of the truck. Blowers, trimmers, gas cans, tool boxes. The big stuff goes on the trailer, and I don't tie any of it down. It all stays put on its own. Mostly I travel in town, not on the highway, and I'd cut my productivity in half if I spent the time tying it all down.

just Cuts
10-20-2004, 03:10 AM
I use wheel straps from Greentouch. Would never even think of not strapping down my mowers! I paid to much for them.

HayBay
10-20-2004, 04:04 AM
If you haven't seen Sergent Cam Wooley from the OPP on TV talking about the tickets he loves giving out on the 400 series highways, you will probably meet him in person if you are carrying an insecure load. It doesn't take that long to tie down. We have several anchor points (D-rings) on the trailer than we can tie down to. If we are carrying a different configuration on the trailer we use different anchor points on the trailer. My favorite straps are the ones you use for cars, 3" by 7 feet and a nice ratchet. One end you just clip to an anchor point on the trailer the other end is clipped to a 6" piece of chain that goes around the frame of the Ztr (one example). The tongue of the trailer has heavy wire mesh welded under it as a platform, the gas cans are strapped to that.
1 strap for each corner is what we do for the large machines.
If your straps are rubbing against anything you will be replacing them soon.

TJLC
10-20-2004, 07:18 AM
I think locking equipt down probally isn't a bad idea but I have always just used the parking brake on my TTHP'S and it seems to hold fine and I have had to make some HARD stops before.All my handheld equipt is either locked down or in a truck box.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
I understand all the comments about lost time and productivity which all comes down to lost $..... But how much money are you gonna lose if your 1000# ZTR lands on a mommy and her kids in a honda civic..

Lets see, lost time: yes, lost business: yes, but that kind of PR can't be good for anyone's bottomline.........

Just a thought....

Derek

David Haggerty
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Gee, there's not a lot of people posting, saying they don't tie anything down when it's against the law!
Actually I think the law says the load must be secure. Nothing is going to keep a mower attached to a trailer if you get broad sided by a train! Secure means something to keep the load from shifting in emergency manuvers or in minor accidents to keep the load it's self from making it a major accident.

My load is securely wedged inside the rails of my trailer. If I 'm carrying less than a full trailer load I have to chain stuff down.

Dave

shepoutside
10-20-2004, 10:59 AM
The wheel locks look like a great idea, Shep!!!

Quick and Efficient....but what it looks like you are restricted to where the rider sits.

Sometimes we travel with one riding mower...sometimes with two! :blush:

I know...We can buy 2 sets! But we try to distribute the weight depending on which configuration we use.

Looks like they are anchored!

Do you ever transport a different configuration and if so, what do you do?

I only use this on my daughters rig, as it never changes. On mine I use straps and d rings, have 6 along each side, and four in the middle, as I transport many things. BTW, I mention'd about the other's getting tickets, one was for $ 630.00, and he said he was lucky, because it could be per item, not for the whole trailer, so be careful. Tickets around here have gone sky high with the MTO. Just a Note for Ontario, safety chains must lock or hooks must have safety clasps, no more "s" hooks, which I see most people still have. On goose neck setups, the safety chain hookup's on the ball plate, are not acceptable either, must be separate to the frame. ( found out pulling my5 horse slant ) Kill's me when we buy stuff from the manufacture, and it's not even legal, but that's another rant, lol :angry:

LwnmwrMan22
10-20-2004, 11:43 AM
I only use this on my daughters rig, as it never changes. On mine I use straps and d rings, have 6 along each side, and four in the middle, as I transport many things. BTW, I mention'd about the other's getting tickets, one was for $ 630.00, and he said he was lucky, because it could be per item, not for the whole trailer, so be careful. Tickets around here have gone sky high with the MTO. Just a Note for Ontario, safety chains must lock or hooks must have safety clasps, no more "s" hooks, which I see most people still have. On goose neck setups, the safety chain hookup's on the ball plate, are not acceptable either, must be separate to the frame. ( found out pulling my5 horse slant ) Kill's me when we buy stuff from the manufacture, and it's not even legal, but that's another rant, lol :angry:

Yep, got pulled over in MN, with a trailer that was one month old, and they red flagged me because the safety chains were not up to MN standards.

I went back to the dealer and they switched them out for me, but I still lost 2 days of work because I couldn't use the trailer.

As for it taking you longer to load and unload, it takes no more than 30 seconds, seriously.

As for doing it with more than one piece of equipment, whether you're using 2-3 mowers on a lawn for whatever reason, it takes no more than 2 minutes. If you're going that fast from yard to yard to yard, that this is going to cause you to lose money, you must be making enough to afford an enclosed trailer then, at which point buy one of those, then it doesn't matter.

Gravely_Man
10-20-2004, 03:37 PM
The real question is it worth not taking a few moments to tie your equipment down? Can you afford at best to have to repair your damaged equipment or at worst want to go to court over injuring someone do to equipment getting loose and flying off of the truck or trailer? Everything get secured before we move down the road!

Gravely_Man

PR Fect
10-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Always tied down. Never trust the other guy! You never know when you need to drive of the road to avoid an accident or swerve to miss something in the road. Equipment cost way to much to have it damaged, plus down time for repairs.

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Excellent Feedback Guys (and Gals)!

I am printing all your responses off and will be giving them to my boys!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share their opinions!