PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage problem...need suggestions

HighGrass
10-17-2004, 03:15 PM
I don't have a garage this year so it looks like I'm going to store my mower and trailer out side through the snow until spring.

I am going to double tarp everything with bungee cords.
Any opinions here?
How do I keep away the freakin mice?

Thanks

Travis Followell
10-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Double tarping everything sound like a good idea to me if you don't have a building. Don't know how you could keep the mice out though. they may not even bother it.

green with envy
10-17-2004, 03:27 PM
You may want to try spreading moth balls over the area. I believe that mice don't like the oder.

Mike

out4now
10-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Tarps will probably do the job depending on how much snow you get.Check into renting a mini storage trailer and have it dropped off at your house. Put mouse bait traps a ways away from the equipment maybe, dont know on that one.

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't like the idea of storing my equipment outside over the Winter.

We have places like the local fair grounds which offer storage once the fair is over.

You can store an 18 foot trailer in their buildings for roughly $30.00 per month from October 15th to sometime in May of the following year!

October 15 - April 15 would run me about $180.00.

Not a bad price for indoor (& locked) storage. I have personally done this and did not have any problems.

We also have folks listing storage space for rent (during the winter months) in the local newspapers and on-line classifieds.

The $180.00 would be money well spent and considered a write off for you!

You might call around and check your classifieds!

As far as helping you with the outside storage, I can't really comment!

:waving:

Phishook
10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Mouse poison and moth balls will work.

Maybe keep a blower in the house to keep the snow blown off. ?

(don't forget the stabil)

stuie
10-17-2004, 05:12 PM
How about a shipping container? Or even one of those cheap portable garages over the tarps ,but would check that it could handle a snow load.
STUART

cantoo
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
green with envy, how do you get the balls off the moths? Do you use tweezers or a knife? Can you buy them anywhere or do you just catch them yourself at night using a light?

:rolleyes:

impactlandscaping
10-17-2004, 09:50 PM
I don't know if mony is the factor here or not. There must be 20 self storage companies around here. I have 2 for storage for hydroseeding materials and holiday decorations, stuff I don't want to keep at my place. 10x 10 x9 units run $52.00 per month, double fenced, secure keypad entry, and camera system make it worth it..

Metro Lawn
10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Check with your customers. Someone may have an empty garage that you can use and maybe trade off some service for it.